Question -- NOT A SUGGESTION -- about ambient temperature

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
MisterFister

Question -- NOT A SUGGESTION -- about ambient temperature

Post by MisterFister »

First off, some fanmail: I was very late to the Minecraft craze, and I can proudly say that I have no vanilla Minecraft experience, as 100% of my Minecraft playtime is through Better Than Wolves. I don't count the handful of one-off attempts to sit down and play vanilla, and it just gets boring quickly when I realize that I literally don't even need to make tools until after I have an aboveground base established. This creates some odd elements of confusion when I go to look up crafting recipes and apparently this mod still uses the vanilla, but hey, I'm at least smart enough to realize that BTW is awesome, so I manage.

Now my question: In the last few version updates, there's been a "new mechanic" of some sort that I think we all weren't exactly expecting. Is the base game capable of supporting a mod that introduces ambient temperature health effects? Overheating or dehydration (or both) in desert and swamp, hypothermia in snow biomes, etc.?

This is not a suggestion, please don't ban me, but I am asking the question because it seems like something FC would have thought of. I recently ran across FC's playthrough with IcyNewYear dated from about 3 years ago, wherein FC was mentioning that BTW development was somehow winding down (...? no please, your work is awesome, same for KSP-BTSM) but I don't recall any straight-from-Flowerchild any mention of temperature. I recall one errant mention of wind effects during storms, but I don't recall the context and cannot find the post now to even confirm in my mind who uttered it.
Katalliaan

Re: Question -- NOT A SUGGESTION -- about ambient temperatur

Post by Katalliaan »

It's entirely possible for that, and there's already some vanilla mechanics (and some mods) that take advantage of biome temperatures. For example, snow golems only leave a trail of snow behind if it's below a certain temperature and start to take damage if it's above a certain temperature.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I can't even really tell what your question is, as in what kind of information you're really wanting here, or why it would be in this subforum if it wasn't implying a suggestion.

Perhaps coherence would be a better thing to focus on rather than worrying about possibly being banned? :)
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

FlowerChild wrote:I can't even really tell what your question is, as in what kind of information you're really wanting here, or why it would be in this subforum if it wasn't implying a suggestion.

Perhaps coherence would be a better thing to focus on rather than worrying about possibly being banned? :)

First time posting, so I didn't really know where to put it. I guess I was curious what other mechanics might make appearances in further releases, and as an example, I mentioned "Hardcore Temperature" or something.

In all seriousness, I love this mod and fully endorse or understand every single thing you've done with it. I happened upon the forums here mostly to look for ideas on my own playthrough (posted in another section) where I'm really feeling stone-age food pressure and I needed a break from the delicious frustration of that.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.