Help getting started creating addons

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
mogulus

Help getting started creating addons

Post by mogulus »

Ok i'm very worried i'm asking in the wrong place, but here goes.

I am eager to create a fairly simple add on and am making some progress in learning what the java script means, how to work it and so forth. I have installed MCP, decompiled and made my changes, but the class files that I get are crashing the game. It isn't recognizing Better than Wolves at all and seems like it's skipping over all of FC's files, and my guess is that it just doesnt know what to do with them. I have googled the heck out of this and everything I read says that I have to use fresh .jar files to decompile.

I can get a modified .jar file decompiled, and it was my guess that I had to do my edits and then recompile, reobfuscate and then drag the resulting .class files over, otherwise it would be totally incompatable with BTW. I am obviously very wrong.

I would be very grateful for some help in pointing out what i've assumed wrong and give some pointers on how to get started here. Any mod that I could make is totally useless to me without being compatable to BTW.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Help getting started creating addons

Post by FlowerChild »

I'd ask people to keep this kind of discussion off the boards. If you're looking for help, the IRC is probably the place to find it.