Stamp Mills

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Stamp Mills

Post by DaveYanakov »

Just to get evryone on the same page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_mill

Basically a crusher run by water wheels back in the day, it was useful for anything requiring compression, from breaking up ores to paper making to pounding oil seed prior to pressing the oil. Such a device would be useful as well for the production of sand and gravel from cobblestone. Cobble gets crushed to gravel, gravel gets crushed to sand.

One of the things I've always really hated about vanilla is that to make large quantities of glass, you pretty much have to find a desert and turn it into an ugly jumble of bare stone. This would offer an alternative to that.
Better is the enemy of Good
mr.creeper

Re: Stamp Mills

Post by mr.creeper »

You can separate flint and sand from gravel using a hopper and a wicker. But the cobblestone idea sounds good, however, it would need some sort of limitation and other use.
Last edited by mr.creeper on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

i know the mill your talking about is a crude crusher, but it's only a step away from the stamping mills used in car factories to make side panels.
hows about using it to stamp tools? a way to reduce the price of making (or repairing) tools at the cost od durability. in order to use it to make/repair tools you'd have to make a mold out of clay by filling the crafting table with your recipe for the tool, then the remainder with clay (you get the iron and wood back). then you have to fire the mold in the furnace and place it in the mills inventory similar to the filters on the hopper.

how''s that for another use.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Simpler second uses would be to make ore more efficient along the lines of turning 4 iron ore into 5 smeltables or to implement things further along on the tech tree. It would allow the cracking of, say, hemp seeds so they can be pressed to produce an oil, for example.

Or possibly just the way to make iron/gold panels out of iron/gold blocks.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

This is a really cool concept I hadn't thought of, I like it. :)
IGN: Camerinthus
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

DaveYanakov wrote: One of the things I've always really hated about vanilla is that to make large quantities of glass, you pretty much have to find a desert and turn it into an ugly jumble of bare stone. This would offer an alternative to that.
Me just go into my mines that I've already stripped of the good stuff. There's always a ton of gravel down there, I just mine that out, turn it into flint+sand with the hopper, and I get to keep my pretty deserts ^^
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

as a note of changing the cobble to gravel, i think that if you put a cobble block in a mill it will 'grind' the cobble into gravel, which then can be put thru a hopper and turned into sand and flint, therefore getting rid of lots of cobble that had been dug up in the mines and allowing the user to make glass without ever needing to goto a desert and 'destroying the natural beauty'
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FC has said a few times that he wants the mill to be used only for organic materials, so i dont think its gonna happen, from this reason alone
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Another alternate use would be to automate paper production. Either as in intermediary process (cane or wood gets stamped into pulp, pulp gets run into a hopper with rollers to press the fluid out and form a sheet) or the same way a millstone automates sugar production.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

walker_boh_65 wrote:FC has said a few times that he wants the mill to be used only for organic materials, so i dont think its gonna happen, from this reason alone
way not to read the op there; isn't that the reason we have these forums in the first place?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

It was late when i wrote that just kinda jumping place to place, didnt realize you were talking about a new item, i just assumed he meant a new addition to a normal mill
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

So, assuming we have get a stamp mill we can then mass-manufacture gravel, sand, and flint simply by transferring from a cobblestone generator. I don't know if FC will support such a thing since it allows such large amounts of blocks to be created.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

How are you getting the cobble blocks into the inventory of the mill? You'll still need to manually collect cobblestone unless you want to set up some sort of TNT blasting operation.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

DaveYanakov wrote:How are you getting the cobble blocks into the inventory of the mill? You'll still need to manually collect cobblestone unless you want to set up some sort of TNT blasting operation.
Yeh but cobble isn't exactly in short supply unless you do no mining at all. I got many chests full of it just from hunting for iron/gold/diamond, *and* that's despite the fact I do most of my mining in natural caves which you'd think you wouldn't need to mine much in.

Gravel isn't in short supply either, so the whole idea of crushing cobble into gravel seems kinda pointless.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

grimper12341 wrote:
-SNIP-

Gravel isn't in short supply either, so the whole idea of crushing cobble into gravel seems kinda pointless.

AHA, But if one puts the gravel thru a hopper (forgot what filter is needed) you end up with a large supply of sand (which is just glass in my eyes) and flint (making those goddamn feathers useful again![make arrows])
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Yes that's the whole point of gravel's existence. But even when mass producing glass you will still never run out (hell you can dig a stack of 64 gravel way faster than you can smelt 64 sand), there's always gonna be tons of it in your mines, same with cobblestone.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

And then you have the people who would rather spend their limited play time building rather than go digging in search of the five chests full of sandstone and glass they need. The name of the game may be minecraft but some people just don't enjoy digging more than they have to. This is one of the reasons why toomanyitems is so prevalent. If it's possible to build some machines that will turn the cobble from the basements you've been digging out into other materials that you need while you're off working on what you want to build, it would be much less tempting to install cheats.

Also, hey look, alternate uses beyond just the cobble smashing.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

DaveYanakov wrote:
-SNIP-

Also, hey look, alternate uses beyond just the cobble smashing.
i find this a completly acceptable term rather than "processing cobble"
Reasoning For The Above Sentance
Show
when cobble is 'processed' it seems that it is going to be sent thru a long line of machienes (damn spelling) and devices that will eventually output a greater and more useful product.

But when it is 'smashed' it is.... smashed, thus creating gravel, and when the gravel is put thru its own processing it will eventually end up as glass!!

and this was a waste of your time!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show