Direwolf showcases the Forge!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Damion Rayne

Direwolf showcases the Forge!

Post by Damion Rayne »

Spoiler
Show

Direwolf20 is doing a Forge LP as well and is at 37 total Episodes, in this video you can see Buildcraft, Industrialcraft 2 and Equivalent Exchanged combine to make a fully automated Glowstone to Diamond factory. It's bloody brilliant and really shows off what having the Forge can do.

As more LP's and Features like this prop up showcasing forge and non-forge mods working together, people will come to the understanding that the Forge is not only about compatibility but also about Choice.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Brethern

Re: Direwolf showcases the Forge!

Post by Brethern »

So glad we don't have to depend on killerbeez to give us good multi mod LP's I was starting to get tired of how he does things.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Almost makes me want to try out buildcraft.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote:Almost makes me want to try out buildcraft.
Same here ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Buildcraft is really worth a try IMO. While I wouldn't use it in the long-term due to the huge tech-jump it represents and how weird it feels as a result, from a building-gadgets standpoint it really is interesting.

I probably played it for a good 10 hours or so, and I certainly don't regret the experience, especially with the engines installed and such.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The problem is, I really enjoy challenging automations, but...I'm lazy by default, and I'd get too used to the convenience of pipes methinks. I don't think I'd have the willpower to limit myself to only the really cheap, crappy pipes (i.e., the ones I feel are roughly in line with the BTW tech level) and would end up with buildcraft as a 'necessary' mod for playing Mc.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Stormweaver wrote:with buildcraft as a 'necessary' mod for playing Mc.
you make it seem like its a bad thing to use more than one mod

I used when it was just pipes, and it was fun, but i never used it with BTW, i think i may have to try it
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Before I tried BTW, I looked into Buildcraft, but it seemed so overpowered to me, just a way to get resources faster, it seems like once you get it set up, you can just AFK and it plays minecraft for you.

BTW on the other hand makes your work for additional resources, you have to design things efficiently and it doesn't remove you from the game.

I looked into IC as well, but it adds too much stuff that is so at odds with vMC, it seems wrong.

I do however like that Forge gives you the option to play these all together.

TL;DR: I prefer mods that complement vMC rather than replace it. If he showcases BTW as part of his Forge work I'll watch.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gtfweek,

Here's the thing with BC, it might seem overpowered to you at first, but like most people when it comes to IC2 and BC, they only see what people are doing with it at the end game.

Take for example a quarry machine, here's what goes into one...

1 Piece of Redstone
3 Iron Gears
2 Gold gears (Upgraded from two extra Iron Gears)
2 Diamond Gears (Upgraded from two extra gold gears)
And a Diamond Pick Axe

So that's what?
12 iron for the first set of Iron gears
8 Iron and 8 gold for the gold gears
8 iron and 8 gold and 8 diamonds for the diamond gears
3 Diamonds for the Pick Axe

So,
28 Iron, 16 gold and 11 Diamonds to build ONE Quarry machine,
Now let's add building in engines, and not redstone engines, steam or combustion engines. Let's factor in fuel costs for those engines, lets factor in transporting both the fuel to the engines and the mined items to your base.

Does everything for you? If you spent that much crap on one item (yes it can be moved and used over and over again) Wouldn't you want it to be Worth it?

And EE and IC2 for instance, play them legitimately and you'll find out there are many varying play-styles and all of them have different ways of crawling up their tech tree.

EE for instance has 3 Tiers of Transmutation that you have to climb, to the point that 512 cobble equals one diamond, now EE was designed to make the "Diamond Reset" problem mean something, so everything at the end of EE is all about Diamonds and Rredstone and Glowstone as power sources. It's all about making people feel like gods in their world.

IC2 is all about using resources wisely to become more efficient, and about the gathering, storage, and wise usage of power. When you waste a full piece of coal for one smelting operation, when it can do 8, why not instead place it in a generator and have that generator convert that coal to energy for later use?

It's all about playstyle my friend, and none of these mods are a cake walk, "Do it for you" kind of mod. All of them require time, energy, and resources in different amounts. :)

Try them out individually for yourselves and make the choice, I did.

I started with BTW, and now that I have a world with EE, BTW, IC^2, and BC (plus other small mods) I don't know any other way I could play minecraft. But to each their own, I just wanted to point out the just like BTW, none of these mods are "Cake walk" or "mods does it all for you" mods. I mean again, back to the quarry machine from BC...

16 gold and 11 diamonds? Bit expensive if you ask me, :)

Sorry for wall-o-text, grammar nightmare...
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Damion Rayne wrote:...snip...
Okay, guess I haven't looked them closely enough at it to see the cost/benefits clearly, I'll take a look at the video, it may even convince me! ;)

I still have a complaint that IC2 and BC still deviate from the Minecraft look quite a lot, I suppose there are texture packs for them so they don't stand out like a 7ft woman in a polyester white suit at a black tie ball?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

gftweek wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:...snip...
Okay, guess I haven't looked them closely enough at it to see the cost/benefits clearly, I'll take a look at the video, it may even convince me! ;)

I still have a complaint that IC2 and BC still deviate from the Minecraft look quite a lot, I suppose there are texture packs for them so they don't stand out like a 7ft woman in a polyester white suit at a black tie ball?
There's a few texture packs for IC buildcraft doesn't have any I'm aware off.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

I like alot of what he does as a whole. idk what kind of irl schedule he has from him to pump out as many episodes as he does, but they all are quite nice as far as what you can do with the Forge.
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MagusUnion wrote:I like alot of what he does as a whole. idk what kind of irl schedule he has from him to pump out as many episodes as he does, but they all are quite nice as far as what you can do with the Forge.
He must not work or go to school. Allot of good LPs ended because the creator didn't have time.

I ran into eight or nine that started awesome but stopped abruptly.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Brethern wrote:He must not work or go to school. Allot of good LPs ended because the creator didn't have time.

I ran into eight or nine that started awesome but stopped abruptly.
Yeah, that's the issue I'm hitting right now... :-/
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damion Rayne wrote:16 gold and 11 diamonds? Bit expensive if you ask me, :)

Personally, I never felt compelled to touch BC until SpaceToad included the engines. Even with the resource costs you outline above, I still found it way OP, but with the engines, it feels a lot more like a game.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:16 gold and 11 diamonds? Bit expensive if you ask me, :)

Personally, I never felt compelled to touch BC until SpaceToad included the engines. Even with the resource costs you outline above, I still found it way OP, but with the engines, it feels a lot more like a game.
Considering the fact that spacetoad is nowhere near done and the fact that BC is opensource it's going to get allot more interesting.

I really like that he added in a way to refine oil and I really do like the new coolant system he added in.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Well with Elo's "Red Power" Pipe addon that sends a redstone signal when an item passes through it, and the new teleport pipes as well, BC just got a whole lot cooler.

@FC: I agree with you on that FC, it's gotten a lot more interesting since the introduction of Engines, and resource needs for those engines. Spacetoad is a lot like you actually, every update adds something new to the mod that just keeps making it more and more interesting.

Though again, as I said before in the other Forge threads...the more people see things like this with ForgeAPI the mroe they'll start using it and mixing mod's left and right. :)

It would be nice to see the 5 of you get together, :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Damion Rayne wrote:It would be nice to see the 5 of you get together, :)
If I were rich, I'd pay them to make a super-mod together :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
M!C

Post by M!C »

Gilberreke wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:It would be nice to see the 5 of you get together, :)
If I were rich, I'd pay them to make a super-mod together :D
That they make great mods individually doesn't necessarily mean that they can do it together as well ... in Germany there is a saying: "Zu viele Köche verderben den Brei." roughly translated: Too many cooks spoil the meal.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

M!C wrote:That they make great mods individually doesn't necessarily mean that they can do it together as well ... in Germany there is a saying: "Zu viele Köche verderben den Brei." roughly translated: Too many cooks spoil the meal.
If you look at the Forge API, you will notice that they are all professionals, able to work together. What you would need is a good team leader able to work the strengths of his team mates.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: If you look at the Forge API, you will notice that they are all professionals, able to work together. What you would need is a good team leader able to work the strengths of his team mates.
Yes, but would we want to? We're still all doing this for fun, and working in a team is often just not as much fun as working alone.

Also, I can't say that working together on the Forge has gone without conflict. We keep such disuputes internal for the most part, but we definitely don't all see eye to eye on everything that comes up.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Gilberreke wrote:
M!C wrote:That they make great mods individually doesn't necessarily mean that they can do it together as well ... in Germany there is a saying: "Zu viele Köche verderben den Brei." roughly translated: Too many cooks spoil the meal.
If you look at the Forge API, you will notice that they are all professionals, able to work together. What you would need is a good team leader able to work the strengths of his team mates.
Oh, I totally forgot about the Forge ...

But on a second thought: The Forge is not really comparable to a mod since there are no design philosophy questions and the likes. The Forge concentrates on functionality. If a certain way to code things is more functional than another one is mostly objectively measurable. That means less arguments ...

You're still probably right. If there are a bunch of programmers out there who can work together effectively it's them.

EDIT: Ok, part of what I said doesn't seem to be too accurate ...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote: But on a second thought: The Forge is not really comparable to a mod since there are no design philosophy questions and the likes. The Forge concentrates on functionality. If a certain way to code things is more functional than another one is mostly objectively measurable. That means less arguments ...
You'd be surprised man. How something is implemented and if it should be implemented at all can still be a source of conflict. Take the extended Block ID question for example. Even whether something like that should make it into an API is highly debatable.

Many issues do come up, from how invasive particular code changes are (i.e. how much they change the Minecraft base-classes, and which classes they change), the performance hit that comes along with them, which particular mods are favored by which changes, etc.

It's not a cake-walk.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Yes, but would we want to? We're still all doing this for fun, and working in a team is often just not as much fun as working alone.

Also, I can't say that working together on the Forge has gone without conflict. We keep such disuputes internal for the most part, but we definitely don't all see eye to eye on everything that comes up.
I know, it's just that from my time spent in the industry, it's rare to see such talented individuals together, without it coming with insufferably huge egos.

Maybe if money were involved it'd collapse on itself, that seems to be the common case :)

That said, my comment was more of a daydream than anything else. I love the stuff coming out of you guys, but it'd be a huge factor more awesome if all the build/tech mod stuff would synergize together even more. That's where I'm coming from.

More on-topic: after watching a few of the videos, it seems like I'm really starting to like IC2 and EE more and more. I'm deliberating doing an IC2 playthrough now.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Yes, but would we want to? We're still all doing this for fun, and working in a team is often just not as much fun as working alone.

I know, it's just that from my time spent in the industry, it's rare to see such talented individuals together, without it coming with insufferably huge egos.

Maybe if money were involved it'd collapse on itself, that seems to be the common case :)

That said, my comment was more of a daydream than anything else. I love the stuff coming out of you guys, but it'd be a huge factor more awesome if all the build/tech mod stuff would synergize together even more. That's where I'm coming from.

More on-topic: after watching a few of the videos, it seems like I'm really starting to like IC2 and EE more and more. I'm deliberating doing an IC2 playthrough now.
I'll be doing a Multi-mod play-through when I get back stateside, as I posted in another forum. I will play each mod Legit and in new area's so I am forced to start the vMC way and then roll into the mod. After I've showcased the major forge mods I have, (Note: Redpower will be a Synergy mod and not showcased separately.) I'll begin showcasing large Multi-mod builds like some of DW's stuff, :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development