Dyes in Cauldrons

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Stormweaver

Dyes in Cauldrons

Post by Stormweaver »

*random suggestion time*

Nothing huge, but after chasing a flock of bright blue sheep around with shears a short time ago it got me thinking; BTW's technology aims to improve the general efficiency of things...so why not dyes?

I'm not going to go into serious detail, it's just a concept. Basically, stick wool in a cauldron together with the dye of your choice, and the cauldron 'cooks' the dye into up to 4~ wool, using up one dye in the process. Wikipedia tells me it's somewhat feasible from a realism standpoint, and watching my precious lapis-coated sheep jump to it's death rather than face my shears...was hilarious, but at the same time saddening. I only got one wool.

It's not particularly needed and serves no real purpose...but beyond that, your thoughts?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Re: Dyes in Cauldrons

Post by BinoAl »

It seems like a cool idea, but look what happens when you put non-food (dung)in a caouldron: it turns rotten. The cauldron is meant to stick to cooking (or ruining) food. THats why sandstone cant be turned to sand in a millstone: it was meant for organic materials
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

but if you put leather (an animal product same as wool) you get tanned leather, so its not TOO far out there saying that wool could be boiled with dyes for high efficiency
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

walker_boh_65 wrote:but if you put leather (an animal product same as wool) you get tanned leather, so its not TOO far out there saying that wool could be boiled with dyes for high efficiency
That was my thoughts really.

...to be honest, I was half tempted to mention the thought of using dung as a substitute brown dye...but no.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

You can already poop up your wool. :D

I can also get behind some way of stretching out the dying process, getting maybe double out of it when used with a cauldron.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

the_fodder wrote:You can already poop up your wool. :D
:o

I haven't tried it...Having a few problems keeping my tamed wolves tame so dung's kinda precious >.>

but what the hell. First thing tomorrow, brown wool will be had.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I think this is a quite inventive idea, and seems to make sense from a realistic viewpoint.
IGN: Camerinthus
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

BinoAl wrote:It seems like a cool idea, but look what happens when you put non-food (dung)in a caouldron: it turns rotten. The cauldron is meant to stick to cooking (or ruining) food. THats why sandstone cant be turned to sand in a millstone: it was meant for organic materials
Does the dung turn rotten or the food? Since wool isn't food there isn't any reason for it to become foul. The cauldron is more than a food processor given that it can process leather goods and render glue & tallow. Although, we may also need a mordant. Maybe boiling oak saplings/logs.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

It makes sense, it's easy to implement, it gives more uses to the cauldron, and it wouldn't take FC more than a few hours to do, but it doesn't add that much.
I like the idea though, so I'll report it to him :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Battosay wrote:It makes sense, it's easy to implement, it gives more uses to the cauldron, and it wouldn't take FC more than a few hours to do, but it doesn't add that much.
I like the idea though, so I'll report it to him :)
Yay ^.^
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

It makes a lot more sense than rubbing flowers or rocks on sheep, then shearing them! To me it's kind of like the cooking food problem (the reason the cauldron was added), it shouldn't have to be that time consuming to collect coloured wool.

Now if I only had some sense of style I could actually use coloured wool for a good visual effect!
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

BinoAl wrote:It seems like a cool idea, but look what happens when you put non-food (dung)in a caouldron: it turns rotten. The cauldron is meant to stick to cooking (or ruining) food. THats why sandstone cant be turned to sand in a millstone: it was meant for organic materials
Most dyes are organic, so maybe they would not interfere with cooking. In fact, left over dye might be where the sprinkles on the donuts come from. :)

Ink sacs might be the exception since that doesn't strike me as something good to eat. I'm not sure of the effect of Lapis Lazuli - ruin or not.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

cheechako wrote: Ink sacs might be the exception since that doesn't strike me as something good to eat. I'm not sure of the effect of Lapis Lazuli - ruin or not.
Squid ink pasta. Surprisingly tasty tbh.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Wikipedia: The reliable source.

(b ")b

Seriously, though, would seem cool. As much as I build, I never use wool though, coloured or not... and it's probably because of my obsession with fire.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

This is a nice idea, but what would happen if two different dyes that can't be mixed to form a new color, say cyan and lime green, were in the cauldron with some wool? Which one would it use? This is assuming of course that if red and yellow were put in at the same time, then orange wool would come out. But those are just some minor details about how it would actually work. I think this idea is pretty good.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

darahalian wrote:This is a nice idea, but what would happen if two different dyes that can't be mixed to form a new color, say cyan and lime green, were in the cauldron with some wool? Which one would it use? This is assuming of course that if red and yellow were put in at the same time, then orange wool would come out. But those are just some minor details about how it would actually work. I think this idea is pretty good.
FC's already said that it'd only take him about half an hour to code in when he wants something simple to do, so I figure he's already worked out a simple way of doing it.

I think this is kinda the way forward suggestions-wise. The mod obviously already has a direction it's headed in, so major feature suggestions like new blocks and contraptions are unlikely to be taken into serious consideration, unless the poster has explicit information about the mod's direction (which none of us sans a few of FC's closest friends knows). On the other hand, small features that take what we have and flesh out what they do are probably the kinds of things FC's looking for from us, so his creative awesomeness can focus on taking the mod further without neglecting the existing content.

I motion this thread becomes a discussion regarding the direction we should be heading in, suggestions-wise. i.e, "New concepts for BTW" vs "Fleshing out BTW's existing features".
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

I would suggest that it uses up the first color, then the second and so on.
Probably not as realistic as mixing everything together, but definitely not as annoying as having to put in every color seperately. And I guess it's not a fun coding job to cover every possible combination of more than two colors.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

or you could make it so if two colors dont mix to make a color already in the game, it turns gray or black, saves a whole lot of time, and makes a good deal of sense, ever tried to mix your blue, red, and green paints?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

As far as real life dyeing goes (a hobby of mine), this is actually semi-accurate. Dyes are often applied to cloth and other materials by disolving them in a liquid, heating said liquid, and then soaking the material in the liquid dye. I've dyed various things in a stock pot on the stove before. :)

In addition, if you were to mix various colors together that don't make other colors very easily, you would most likely get a shade of grey or brown as opposed to black. There is no natural dye for true black - just really REALLY dark versions of other colors.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.