Nethercoal recipe using charcoal

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Rasuth

Nethercoal recipe using charcoal

Post by Rasuth »

Unless you have another use planned for charcoal*, maybe you could add an alternative recipe for nethercoal that uses charcoal instead of the orginal coal?

*If i recall right, charcoal and bellows are/were used by blacksmiths in order to proide temperatures hot enough to allow the forging of Iron/Steel.

I was a bit confused, because I thought coal and charcoal items would always work the same recipe- and codewise, but obviously this is not the case.

I hope you don't hate me for this suggestion. And I do understand if you want to port to MCForge before working on any new stuff.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Tuschi

Re: Nethercoal recipe using charcoal

Post by Tuschi »

hey, nice one, I'd just been thinking about that, after all, in the game, coal and charcoal are totally interchangeable, so following that logic, it should also work for nethercoal, unless the entire idea is for it to only work for coal or if perhaps there'll be a special recipe using charcoal?
foi

Post by foi »

Tuschi wrote:after all, in the game, coal and charcoal are totally interchangeable
The ways of getting them aren't though. I kinda like that Nethercoal requires real Coal because that means I still have a reason to mine coal if I find some.
Tuschi

Post by Tuschi »

foi wrote:
Tuschi wrote:after all, in the game, coal and charcoal are totally interchangeable
The ways of getting them aren't though. I kinda like that Nethercoal requires real Coal because that means I still have a reason to mine coal if I find it.
of course, I know that, and in fact, I have chest filled with coal, but no charcoal, but the idea of charcoal is to help you out when you start and be an option in place of coal, after all, not all people like mining, even if that's kinda the point of the game. I think, if you don't have much coal but have tons of charcoal, it should be an option. After all, plenty of the things in BTW aren't for everyone, after all, not everyone wants windmills, but there there because some people think they're awsome, thus, for some people, using charcoal is more convenient. Just like the windmill and waterwheel do the same thing, and are made differently, they both exist because of people's prefereces.
Urian

Post by Urian »

It's been suggested before and the response then was that it won't happen. BTW is an endgame mod and by then you should have enough coal anyway. Flower has also stated that nethercoal is the one addition he's the least satisfied with so unless it will get more uses (something that has been hinted at but might be far off, if it is even implemented at all) it will probably not be changed. In fact, the nethercoal recipe was changed to produce less coal some releases ago so making it more powerful again is not likely to happen.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
foi

Post by foi »

Tuschi wrote:
but the idea of charcoal is to help you out when you start and be an option in place of coal,
You won't have Netherrack when you start so I don't really get your point.

I'm not suggesting that charcoal should be deleted all im saying is that Nethercoal is a nice reason to mine coal.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Urian wrote:It's been suggested before and the response then was that it won't happen. BTW is an endgame mod and by then you should have enough coal anyway. Flower has also stated that nethercoal is the one addition he's the least satisfied with so unless it will get more uses (something that has been hinted at but might be far off, if it is even implemented at all) it will probably not be changed. In fact, the nethercoal recipe was changed to produce less coal some releases ago so making it more powerful again is not likely to happen.

Sorry, I did search this forum, but couldn't be arsed to read the clusterfuck that is the MC Forum thread.

As Charcoal is already an infinite fuel, I don't see the problem with extending it's burning time. On the other hand then there is no real need to extend it either.
Again, it just struck me as odd, because in all other cases both coaltypes act the same.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
- TheAnarchitect
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Rasuth wrote: As Charcoal is already an infinite fuel
oO
Wtf ?

Rasuth wrote:Again, it just struck me as odd, because in all other cases both coaltypes act the same.
Just tell yourself that charcoal don't burn hot enough to be mixed with Netherack ;)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I think he means that there will ALWAYS be charcoal as opposed to regular coal, because coal has a finite number on the map, while you can always make charcoal.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Tuschi

Post by Tuschi »

Battosay wrote:
Rasuth wrote: As Charcoal is already an infinite fuel
oO
Wtf ?

Rasuth wrote:Again, it just struck me as odd, because in all other cases both coaltypes act the same.
Just tell yourself that charcoal don't burn hot enough to be mixed with Netherack ;)
Better yet, tell yourself that the unique properties of coal allow it to mix with netherrack and create a longer lasting burn.
HavokSCOUT wrote:I think he means that there will ALWAYS be charcoal as opposed to regular coal, because coal has a finite number on the map, while you can always make charcoal.
True, but the size of the minecraft world makes that somewhat unrealistic, since you can explore massive distances to find fresh coal, and in any event, most things in minecraft are of limited number.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Really Netherrack is infinite as well since 99% of the Nether is made of it. You'll run out of coal long before you run out of Netherrack. And Charcoal is definitely infinite since you can grow an infinite number of trees (unless you somehow got super unlucky and had no saplings drop ever) and you can use a log to burn other logs to create charcoal.

The fact that wood is more valuable than coal though is the kicker. Do you want to use your logs to make planks etc. Or make it into charcoal? Once you have one charcoal you can also use it to make 8 charcoal, rinse and repeat.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I don't really want to start a realism debate here, but actually charcoal might burn even hotter than most unrefined coaltypes (read: not processed into coke) you just pulled out of the dirt.
(Seems I just found an idea for my first mod. "Realistic" coal types, burning properties and spawn depths/rates. And of course a recipe for Nethercharcoal.)

KriiEiter, the value of wood compared to coal is a good point. But I do believe that coal will become more valuable once new Tech Ages are being implemented.
- TheAnarchitect
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Yeah, a 20x20 treefarm generates 4000 plank blocks per growth iteration, charcoal is WAY easier to get.

That said, that's exactly the reason nethercoal only works with regular coal. Charcoal is already pretty powerful, do we really need a booster for it?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, not going to happen. It's a question of balance issues, many of which you guys aren't aware of yet.

It's not hard to come up with an in-game justification for this. You're mixing coal and the material that hell is made out of. I think that trying to debate the chemistry of that process is rather futile.

It doesn't work because *insert fantasy explanation here*. That's it, that's all.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, a 20x20 treefarm generates 4000 plank blocks per growth iteration, charcoal is WAY easier to get.

That said, that's exactly the reason nethercoal only works with regular coal. Charcoal is already pretty powerful, do we really need a booster for it?
You'd have to start harvesting the logs then if you wanted to make charcoal though.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, not going to happen. It's a question of balance issues, many of which you guys aren't aware of yet.

It's not hard to come up with an in-game justification for this. You're mixing coal and the material that hell is made out of. I think that trying to debate the chemistry of that process is rather futile.

It doesn't work because *insert fantasy explanation here*. That's it, that's all.

Yeah, well, I figured you'd say something along those lines.
But that's the nice thing about a modable game like minecraft. If you really want something you can just go ahead and build it yourself. BRB... learning how to mod MC ;)
- TheAnarchitect
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rasuth wrote: Yeah, well, I figured you'd say something along those lines.
But that's the nice thing about a modable game like minecraft. If you really want something you can just go ahead and build it yourself. BRB... learning how to mod MC ;)
Sure, but if you're that unconcerned with playing with any kind of intended balance, you can just save yourself some trouble and install TMI.