Any tips on finding a mushroom biome?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Any tips on finding a mushroom biome?

Post by FlowerChild »

So, I've recently gone back to playing my main world rather than my BTB one, and I've decided to collect all the resources I've been missing since the 1.0 release of MC.

Already went to the End, but the last thing that's eluding me is finding a mushroom biome for Mycelleum.

I'm currently doing a huge sweep of a gigantic ocean looking for it, but without luck. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on tracking one down (legit of course)?
BinoAl

Re: Any tips on finding a mushroom biome?

Post by BinoAl »

Yeah, except that they tend to be in islands in the ocean and far from spawn, there's not too many tricks to finding them. Also, why is this in btb discussion? ;p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Yeah, except that they tend to be in islands in the ocean and far from spawn, there's not too many tricks to finding them. Also, why is this in btb discussion? ;p
Sorry, miss-click. Will move :)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

If you can't find one, would you not be able to grow some mushrooms with bonemeal, and harvest it with silk touch?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I can't think of any legit way to finding mushroom biomes or any specific biome for that matter. The only way to find them in game is to look unfortunately.

One non-legit alternative is the Amidst Program. It takes your seed or world file and generates a biome map based on your current installed minecraft version. The map it generates won't match your world because it uses the new biome edges but it will let you get X-Z coordinates for mushroom island locations.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Yeah, there really isn't any great way to do it, I just grabbed a boat and went in each NESW direction from my base :/
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote:If you can't find one, would you not be able to grow some mushrooms with bonemeal, and harvest it with silk touch?
That would give me giant mushrooms (which aren't a problem), but not Mycelium, which is what I'm after:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mycelium

Also wouldn't mind grabbing a couple of Mooshrooms, despite how lame I think they are, just to complete my animal collection.

I really question how Mojang decides on biome frequency. They add the new jungles and make them trivially common, they add the Mushroom biome and make it insanely rare.

As someone recently mentioned in another thread, they don't seem to be so good with moderation.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote: Also wouldn't mind grabbing a couple of Mooshrooms, despite how lame I think they are
How are they lame ? You can get infinite milk and mushroom stew out of them !
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

FurkeyRefills wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Also wouldn't mind grabbing a couple of Mooshrooms, despite how lame I think they are
How are they lame ? You can get infinite milk and mushroom stew out of them !
Question asked and answered all in your post.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FurkeyRefills wrote: How are they lame ? You can get infinite milk and mushroom stew out of them !
a) who cares about infinite mushroom stew? As one of the few non-stackable food items it's all but useless.

b) They look like ass and are a lame concept at base.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Plus they have evil soulless eyes... The babies as particularly creepy looking.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

jorgebonafe wrote:Plus they have evil soulless eyes... The babies as particularly creepy looking.
precisely, what use are they if we can't steal their souls? I breed them just so that I can have a lot more resources out of one mob. not that I use mushrooms for much, but they are another resource to collect.
And HOW!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Sorry, miss-click. Will move :)
No need to be sorry, you can do what you want. It's your damn forum ^.^
In a manner of speaking. Lol
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:
FurkeyRefills wrote: How are they lame ? You can get infinite milk and mushroom stew out of them !
a) who cares about infinite mushroom stew? As one of the few non-stackable food items it's all but useless.

b) They look like ass and are a lame concept at base.
Ahh, I see, valid points but they are very useful if you run a cave spider farm and need to get rid of the poison effects quickly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FurkeyRefills wrote: Ahh, I see, valid points but they are very useful if you run a cave spider farm and need to get rid of the poison effects quickly.
You could use a regular cow for that.

I get the impression you're trying *very* hard here just to justify the amount of time you spent gathering them man :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

You know, I had completely forgot about mooshroom biomes as a result of their infrequent spawning. I tend to walk about 500 blocks from my base, walk in a square and then return. If I am unsuccessful, I proceed to do 1000 blocks away. It gets REALLY tedious at 2500 but it's the most reliable I have found.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I like Mooshrooms, myself, but I'm kinda weird about things like that and can understand why they don't appeal to others.

Anyways, I can't really offer any help on actually finding Mushroom Biomes aside from starting a world with one, you pretty much just have to sail through oceans and hope for the best. =/

I kind of find the idea appealing, them being so rare, but at the same time it's such a hassle to track them down...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I don't mind the rarity too much in terms of general play, since the Mushroom Biome is pretty much useless and just an interesting thing you can stumble on now and again.

However, that also makes it unreasonable to include anything found there into the tech-tree, which is a bit unfortunate.

Post by 001010 »

I've found 3 mushroom biomes legit-ly in random seeds, what I do is make a boat, find an ocean, and travel in a direction until I find one. From my experience, you seem to find one quicker if you go diagonally, however, this might just be a coincidence.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

FlowerChild wrote:
FurkeyRefills wrote: Ahh, I see, valid points but they are very useful if you run a cave spider farm and need to get rid of the poison effects quickly.
You could use a regular cow for that.

I get the impression you're trying *very* hard here just to justify the amount of time you spent gathering them man :)
Yes, I am, and let me tell you it took a lot of self control to lead 12 moo-shrooms back 6000 blocks to my base.
Thats an hour and a half of my life i'll never get back :(
I watched a 'Splosion man playthrough in that time though, so I guess it wasn't entirely wasted ;)

I'll stop my straw-clutching now xD
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Honestly, I really wish they occurred underground instead of far away. I'd love to stumble into a large cavern with an ecosystem while caving. Something needs to be done to make caving and mining less tedious.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Honestly, I really wish they occurred underground instead of far away. I'd love to stumble into a large cavern with an ecosystem while caving. Something needs to be done to make caving and mining less tedious.
That would actually be really cool... and make far more sense. Plus it would add a use for the mooshrooms, being that it isn't always easy to get food underground.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I personally wish they had made the Mycellium much more virulent, and some kind of actual threat.

I suspect that was the intention, with it being somewhat of a rip-off from Terraria, and they wimped-out on the design at some point.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:I personally wish they had made the Mycellium much more virulent, and some kind of actual threat.

I suspect that was the intention, with it being somewhat of a rip-off from Terraria, and they wimped-out on the design at some point.
Heh, you know, with all those mushrooms in the nether, you know what would be fun? Virulent nether mycelium that will accept blood wood saplings :3

Imagine the mayhem of a cancerous mycelium growth, which in turn makes the whole place viable for blood wood regrowth. Madness!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

From the direction this conversation is going I guess you were thinking of including mycelium in whatever update you are doing in this next month :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.