Grappling Hook

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
darahalian

Grappling Hook

Post by darahalian »

Basically, by crafting together an anchor and some rope, and possibly a slimeball, to make it stick, you can make a grappling hook of sorts, which can be thrown and attach to walls or ceilings. To make the crafting simple, the hook could require you to have previously made a coil of rope by crafting nine rope together, and use that coil in the crafting recipe. Or, for use with the 2x2 grid that you'll likely be using if you're on the go with a grappling hook, it could be four rope crafted together into small coils, four of which could be turned into a large coil. If the grappling hook successfully attaches, it will place an anchor where it hit, and the amount of rope it was crafted with will extend down from it, and any extra rope that hits the ground will turn into an item.

Rope, when used for climbing, is currently good for getting down a cliff or something, but this would make it also useful for getting up someplace quickly with out having to worry about needing a ton of ladders or dirt or cobble or whatever. If you wanted to get the grappling hook back, you would have to pull the rope in, re-harvest the anchor, and re-craft the hook with a new slimeball.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
grimper12341

Re: Grappling Hook

Post by grimper12341 »

CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

is the 2nd one BTW compatible? >.>
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

CheGiuAn wrote:is the 2nd one BTW compatible? >.>
Yes, I'm using it now. I need to find spider spawner though, I need way more string to create anything substantial.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Yes, I'm using it now. I need to find spider spawner though, I need way more string to create anything substantial.
What about grinding wool in a millstone? you'll get 4 pieces of string / any kind of wool (at least, that was the test result with some red wool)

+ thx for the info :)
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

CheGiuAn wrote:What about grinding wool in a millstone? you'll get 4 pieces of string / any kind of wool (at least, that was the test result with some red wool)
Huh, never knew that. That's going to make my life way easier.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Zipline mod fits really well with BTW thematically. I've been thinking about installing it myself. Only issue I have with it is the slight overlap, with BTW already offering ropes. It all fits so well though, that I would make myself a little merger mod, if it weren't for the fact that I don't feel like doing that much work for just personal mod use.

If FC would ever consider talking to other modders for merger mods, zipline should be a main candidate.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Doubt zipline is popular enough for flower to even consider doing that. Hell aether mod is insanely popular for some reason I can't figure out and flower is definitely leaning towards ignoring it.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

grimper12341 wrote:Doubt zipline is popular enough for flower to even consider doing that. Hell aether mod is insanely popular for some reason I can't figure out and flower is definitely leaning towards ignoring it.
Taking time to actually playing it doesn't exactly say 'leaning towards ignoring it' to me.

Either way, I could see some type of grappling hook coming the future. I mean, rope is cool and all, but you have to get up before you can go down, and it's currently impossible to do just that. (By means of rope, I mean.)

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

KWilt wrote: Taking time to actually playing it doesn't exactly say 'leaning towards ignoring it' to me.
FlowerChild wrote: Yeah, I'm all for new places to explore and such, but unless you can do something interesting with what you find there, I just don't see the draw.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying it out right now, and while the atmosphere is ok, I've yet to see anything that I can really interact with at a really interesting level, and nothing that has compelled me to take it back to my world so I can play with it more or incorporate it into my contraptions.

Also, a lot of the items seem redundant, as in "this pick is the equivalent of iron or diamond in the regular world, it's just that we've used a bunch of ids to duplicate the functionality in the ether because we've arbitrarily decide the regular world tools don't work as well here".
The fixes he mentions in that thread tho are more in line with general compatibility than specifically for the aether.
JerryPons85

Post by JerryPons85 »

darahalian wrote:Basically, by crafting together an anchor and some rope, and possibly a slimeball, to make it stick, you can make a grappling hook of sorts, which can be thrown and attach to walls or ceilings. To make the crafting simple, the hook could require you to have previously made a coil of rope by crafting nine rope together, and use that coil in the crafting recipe. Or, for use with the 2x2 grid that you'll likely be using if you're on the go with a grappling hook, it could be four rope crafted together into small coils, four of which could be turned into a large coil. If the grappling hook successfully attaches, it will place an anchor where it hit, and the amount of rope it was crafted with will extend down from it, and any extra rope that hits the ground will turn into an item.

Rope, when used for climbing, is currently good for getting down a cliff or something, but this would make it also useful for getting up someplace quickly with out having to worry about needing a ton of ladders or dirt or cobble or whatever. If you wanted to get the grappling hook back, you would have to pull the rope in, re-harvest the anchor, and re-craft the hook with a new slimeball.
hands down!!
A dropout will beat a genius through hard work.
ninja grappling hook
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Check the date on the last post before you post >.>
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

This man... He has cheated death... He is... THE THREADOMANCER!