What's the one thing that "sold" you on BTW?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jehanum

Re: What's the one thing that "sold" you on BTW?

Post by jehanum »

gotta say it was the pulleys for elevators. strangely enough, I never build the things anymore, but I don't miss em, this mod adds so much more
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I was sold by the automation opportunities. I was getting bored of vMC, and thinking of quitting, but BTW added a lot of challenges that still keep me interested. Also, the lack of interesting content in vMC made BTW very appealing. Also, unlike so many mods, BTW actually fits in with the vMC feel.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I was fumbling around looking for a mod to install. Up until that point I had never played Minecraft with mods. I installed some that I couldn't get to work, others I installed and hated so much I deleted my world after, then I believe I was looking at the water wheel and some things in the tech tree and thought I'd give BTW a go.

Started playing and quickly realized I was playing Vanilla Minecraft. I much deeper and involved Vanilla that prompted me into making my most expansive world I had ever mad up until that point. Hooked.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Well, back when I started BTW, there was "only" 6 blocks.
I was just getting a bit bored of the game, and started looking on the MCF for some mods to spice it up a bit.
BTW was the 1st topic of the 1st page when I looked, and the title amused me (I remember thinking : "Better than wolves ? Meh, that's not hard, they're useless and stupid"), so I checked it.
Instantly fell in love with the BD and the Lightblock, since I was just starting to use and understand redstone.
Made some stuff with the BD, posted videos on the topic, FC liked them, answered me, then we start chating, talking about the mod, accepted some of my suggestions (the BD planting seed was the first, it not dropping the blocks in item form when the inventory was full was the second), and we became friends :)
The rest is history (I love this sentence ^^)
Aradanwen II

Post by Aradanwen II »

well like any skilles pyromaniac i liked the hibachi so much that is stayed and discovered much much more than fire.... but i orginaly came for the hibachi and block dispenser.
but the hibachi made me stay.
Steve learns the same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Made some stuff with the BD, posted videos on the topic, FC liked them, answered me, then we start chating, talking about the mod, accepted some of my suggestions (the BD planting seed was the first, it not dropping the blocks in item form when the inventory was full was the second), and we became friends :)
The rest is history (I love this sentence ^^)
And thank the gods you found it man! I've said it before, but I really don't know if I would have continued making the mod for this long if you hadn't found the community. Aside from making a damn good friend out of the bargain, for a long time now you've been the prototypical player I've constantly kept in mind when designing new features, which has helped me a great deal in keeping the mod focused. Your thorough use of the features, to an extent that I myself can't even practically keep up with while still having time to be productive on the mod has also been instrumental in me being able to properly balance with time. You've also helped to pick me up several times when all the nonsense was getting to me and I was just about ready to throw in the towel, through reminding me of just why I was doing this to begin with.

So, if I may return to the original question posed by the thread: if there was any single thing that sold me on the process of making BTW, it was Battosay joining the community :)
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

Better than Wolves: Powered by Bromance
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Dextralus wrote:Better than Wolves: Powered by Bromance
and manly orphan tears, can't forget those.
And HOW!
blithen

Post by blithen »

Amen, this should be the new subtitle.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
steveman0

Post by steveman0 »

I was around for the 'wolves were a bad idea' topics that sprung up around their announcement. Obviously I got involved in the threads because I agreed. That's where I first saw FC's design abilities and knew that his mod would be a huge success. I followed it from when it was announced. There really was no single feature that hooked me. I loved all of the major additions and lamented that Mojang hasn't come close with any of their ideas in the entire time I've followed Minecraft. I guess you could say what really sold me was the merger to produce BTB because that's truly what first got me playing. Right around the time BTW was released I was really turned off from Minecraft due to the direction the game was taking so I didn't really have an interest in playing even with the changes that BTW offered. I just couldn't pass up the chance to play both together. (I did miss out on all the Forge related stuff due to a busy life at the time).
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

The first time I saw Better than Wolves on the MCF I assumed that it was a pet mod. A week later I decided to check it out. The light block was the first item that caught my interest. After reading through the entire thirty six pages of the thread I was completely hooked by the focus on balance. BTW was the cure for the mod-itch that developed after vMC going stale and I've never looked back since then.
Flint_Forgefeu

Post by Flint_Forgefeu »

I think the stuff that "sold" me BTW was Battosay's lets play Phoenix. I was looking for another mod for a tech tree because I was bored with IC because it isn't enough "realistic" for VMC. So I was looking for some vids about BTW and found Battosay's channel and I fell in love with this mod. And the fact the TP Summerfield got an add-on for BTW makes me confirm my choice.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

What initially got my attention was the combination with BTB.
I have played with all kinds of mods, every kind of mod. I loved things like pistons that brought my world to life. I played IndustrialCraft and Buildcraft. Industrialcraft was nice and all but I didn't feel it "brought my world to life." Buildcraft did that a little. Somehow I had managed to miss BTW. And when I didn't miss it I saw the *** The Mod That is Incompatible With Everything!!!(*) *** and glossed past it because face it, I was overloaded with things to be incompatible with. By the time BTB came out I was playing Buildcraft by itself and went hmm.
Since then I had the trio of mods on a new world and have not looked back. As far as bringing my world alive BTW is pistons to nth degree.
At the moment I have been slowly creating automation challenges without the aid of buildcraft pipes. Reading the forum had inspired my to recreate everyone's journey during the development of BTW.
I am now just attempting to merge my BTW creations with Buildcraft and soon I will be exploring some more of the version 3.x buildcraft stuff
So cheers FC.
And cheers to the rest of the community. I know I don't post often (or ever) but I love the flow of everyone, and how well you all stick together and nail trolls... Cracks me up every time.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

blithen wrote:
Amen, this should be the new subtitle.
Holy shit. This MUST happen.
BrynEM

Post by BrynEM »

I got in to the mod when I saw the yogscast show it and just thought this was a very good mod even thou it wasn't showed very well any way this mod was the first mod I installed and I am still loving it today as well as the BTB mod. Thanks Flowerchild and the other people involved.:)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

BrynEM wrote:I got in to the mod when I saw the yogscast show it and just thought this was a very good mod even thou it wasn't showed very well any way this mod was the first mod I installed and I am still loving it today as well as the BTB mod. Thanks Flowerchild and the other people involved.:)
Same here, I was so chuffed when I managed to install it. The only other thing I had installed before was TMI.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
rmdashrrootsplat

Post by rmdashrrootsplat »

What got me into BTW?

-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.

Anyone that puts a drunken stream highlight into their mod is a-okay in my book. :D
morvelaira wrote:Do it! Burst into flames. Thank you! ...You! Flames!
Burst into Flames. Morvy demands it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

rmdashrrootsplat wrote:What got me into BTW?

-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.

Anyone that puts a drunken stream highlight into their mod is a-okay in my book. :D
Welcome to the forums ^.^

I suppose I should give a slightly more detailed answer, since my first probably sounds a little too tounge-in-cheek.

I found BTW a couple of weeks before the yogaboo invasion; at that time I was already bored with minecraft, and had more or less stopped playing it myself, instead just watching various LPs and what have you - the Yogscast being a recent find. I'd been interested in the idea of mods (The pistons mod being the one that first caught my eye) for a while and while I'd passed over BTW a few times thinking it was a pets mod, I actually decided to take a look and saw so much more. I bookmarked the page.
Weeks passed, I installed and was just starting out with my waterwheels and millstone, when I noticed the Yogs did a mod spotlight. It seemed lacking somewhat, and I suddenly realised that about a million people were about the desend onto the thread to ask for the mod to be in the yogbox (Me noticing previously that the mod was a no-modpack zone). I got popcorn.

About 300 pages later, I'd developed a man-crush on FC for being a sadistically awesome bastard while standing against the unwashed tides. BTW being an incredible mod happens to just be icing on the cake really.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

@Stormweaver One can always get behind a fellow sadist! Wait... that came out wrong...

Moving back to the topic, single thing that "sold" me was FlowerChild's focus on giving us processes, not magic blocks that do everything.

IC2, EE, etc, all suffer Magic Block Syndrome and forget that Minecraft is about building, not crafting. I'm tired of crafting an item to craft an item to craft yet another item before I finally get to craft the item I really want. SO boring. BTW let's me build a machine that automated a PROCESS and then I can house that machine in a cool facade. You can't beat that.

Edit: The first time you build a nuke plant in IC2 you'll know what I mean about crafting to the point of boredom. Nothing wrong with that mod persay, just I don't find spending a literal hour at my crafting bench making crap to make more crap until I finally have my intended crap to be interesting.
Andellmere

Post by Andellmere »

Battosay. That is to say, watching Battosay build elevators.

I have this horrible thing where I have to mess with everything. TMI is therefore a staple mod for me. Unfortunately, this tends to leave tech mods feeling... lacking. I just tend to mess around with them and then ignore their contents(Although I still haven't messed with all of BC...)

And then I stumbled across a rather strange mod. It had all these little things that came together to form a coherent idea with sense and progress. And there was even a video! I love mod videos! I can get a sense for what I'm about to likely screw all my little machines up for.

I watched the video and then immediately set out to mess with it. TMI and concrete amused me, but didn't really hold my interest, until I decided to build a full modern building. Complete with lights, light switches, and multiple floors(10 I think was the goal).
So I built an elevator, all the while thinking 'Hey! This isn't so hard if I can do it!'
And then the elevator failed to do what I wanted.

4 hours later, I realized that despite cheating my arse off, looking up videos on how to construct them(thank you for that, Battosay!), and then cheating some more, I had an elevator that I was legitimately proud of and I still wasn't bored.

I never did finish that building. Four floors up, FC decided to break from the Forge and all my work towards the building broke.
I built a few other things I'm proud of: A couple tribute statues, a windmill, a few houses. But nothing ever made me as happy as that first elevator.

The Point: Battosay brought me here, Flowerchild hooked me and the whole mod gave me a sense of direction while playing minecraft.
Thank you, Flowerchild, for being the only modder that managed to make me enjoy Minecraft for building rather than anything else.
Need a combination door? I've got one you can use.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

The one thing that sold me was honestly the smooooooth blend of vMC and BTW elements.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Ribky wrote:The one thing that sold me was honestly the smooooooth blend of vMC and BTW elements.
Yeah, that's the best thing about this mod, that you could probably let some new player play vMC, then install BTW and tell them it was a new update, and they'd believe you. Not so with a lot of other mods. Their concept is just too far-off from the theme of MC.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

SgtChuckle wrote: Yeah, that's the best thing about this mod, that you could probably let some new player play vMC, then install BTW and tell them it was a new update, and they'd believe you.
True, though I think once they built their first gimp suit they'd immediately think Sweden was really weird or really awesome.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TSA

Post by TSA »

just like someone(s) said i had knowledge of BTW by the yogscast spotlight video.

in that time i was searching for a mod to spice up my interest about minecraft, vanilla was becoming to get boring.
i passed throw more explosives, more creeps and wierdos, IC, redpower. EE, BC, and pretty much the big mods of the beta 1.5/1.6.

then i saw that video about better than wolves. and i was like, WTF?
my first thought was that it would improve wolves somehow. started watching and at the same time thinking things like.
oh a cauldron that is useful cooking a lot of food without waiting in front of a furnace and it has its own source of heat (hibachis) and the ability to be turned on and off with redstone. it was quite nice at the time.

at the end of the video i realised that BTW mod add a lot of interesting and useful things that i could use.
started watching Flowerchild youtube videos subscribed him and something light up in my head.

I think it was the mechanical power together with the smooth looking waterwheels, windmills, pulleys and platforms.

they look just too awesome. =D
LunaticToad
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Ribky wrote:
True, though I think once they built their first gimp suit they'd immediately think Sweden was really weird or really awesome.
Cracked me up, big time
As this would affect me as a swede, I'd hope it would be the latter.... But everyone except haters and ethicists gotta love the idea!

Btw, bromance for the win! Made my day when I read the FCs and battosays friendship. Bloody cool how much personality you can see from these forums!
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"