Fallout for MacBook Pro?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BrushEnthusiast

Fallout for MacBook Pro?

Post by BrushEnthusiast »

Hey, guys! About a year ago, I bought a 13" MacBook Pro. At the time, I was unaware of the vast limitations of its hardware. Specifically, the poor graphics card. While I like the way it works up front, the system organization drives me crazy (it's hard to locate files and folders). Also, for obvious reasons, no one makes games for it.
What I need is a PC. Unfortunately, that's not an option. Due to a lack of funds, a completely new computer is definitely unattainable. For the next few years, I have to make do with what I've got.
Lately, I've had a fervent desire to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I'm wondering if either game will run smoothly. I realize it's only for Windows, but I can afford to buy Windows 7 or XP and I can use Bootcamp (lets me use Windows on a Mac; free).
Does anyone know if either game will work? In fact, if you know of any games that will run well, please let me know.
PatrickSJ

Re: Fallout for MacBook Pro?

Post by PatrickSJ »

The Mass Effect series and Elder Scroll series play well under Bootcamp. You need to do some key remapping to compensate for the lack of a right mouse button. I suspect Fallout 3 will work if these games work.

However, you will need to buy Windows if you don't have it. Windows 7 works fine. Do you have a MacBook Pro Early 2011? If so, what customization did you buy? I bought several upgrades when I ordered mine, so I may be having a better experience.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

The right mouse click, (two finger click) can be enabled, its in the bootcamp drivers, im surprised your hacing trouble with the file system is almost identical to windows file system. Or you could just plug in a 2 button mouse. I know where the "Mac's only have one button" steriotype came from but its is patently false, and has been for quite some time. the old macs did not ship with a two button mouse, but you could plug in a cheap Logitech and it would be recognized.

Program files=Applications
Documents and settings=Users
Beyond that most everything is the same, there may be some other minor differences in naming conventions, but organization wise its the same.

Laptops in general have terrible graphics Cards, This is necessisary to decrease weight and size as newer gfx cards require more cooling.
That being said, Your pro should run fallout under bootcamp on moderate settings, my 3 year old one will run oblivion on low, and the games use the same engine.

People don't make Games for the macs because in the past it was more difficult to program for the motorola PowerPC (RISC) processors. vs intel and AMD (SISC) processor archetectures. Most of the PC's are better than Mac's Debate is Garbage and Disnformation by People who have Little Idea what they are talking about and whos only experiance with the other sides's hardware is the crappy computers that they had in school.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Nexus Trimean wrote:The right mouse click, (two finger click) can be enabled, its in the bootcamp drivers, im surprised your hacing trouble with the file system is almost identical to windows file system. Or you could just plug in a 2 button mouse. I know where the "Mac's only have one button" steriotype came from but its is patently false, and has been for quite some time. the old macs did not ship with a two button mouse, but you could plug in a cheap Logitech and it would be recognized.
I know it can be enabled, but the response tends to be iffy so I leave it disabled. I used to have it set to left & right corners of the trackpad, but sometimes when I click on the right corner it responds as if I had clicked left. Now I just use Command key.
BrushEnthusiast

Thanks for the input, guys!
Yes, it is the Early 2011 model. I don't remember if I got any upgrades, but I know I have 4 gigs of memory and it's a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5.
Yeah, now that I've had it for a while, I understand the directories just fine; it was just a trial early on.
When you say the Elder Scrolls series played fine on it, you aren't including Skyrim, are you? I would be shocked if it could handle graphics like that!
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Skyrim works like a beaut. I've modded it but I've not added the hi-re terrain/architecture textures since I find the existing textures work just fine and the hi-res is too sharp.

I have 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM (MacBookPro8,2 Model which is the 15")
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

No, just oblivion. (under windows XP) I havent had any new games, my macbookpro is 2008 model, i dont think it could handle skyrim.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

God damn, my pc is from two thousand and fucking six, costed 1k €(whole rig), still plays skyrim. (looks like shiet, getting around 16 fps, vertical mouse movement is atrocious)

But still, heck.

How much did your mac cost?
BrushEnthusiast

Hmm, well now I'm not sure. Mine is 2011, not 2008, but it's only i5 and 4 gigs of memory.
I just want to know that, if I buy it, I won't have to send it back or whatever because it chokes and coughs every three seconds while running, you know?
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

BrushEnthusiast wrote:Hmm, well now I'm not sure. Mine is 2011, not 2008, but it's only i5 and 4 gigs of memory.
I just want to know that, if I buy it, I won't have to send it back or whatever because it chokes and coughs every three seconds while running, you know?
Skyrim has a number of mods that improve performance, but first: What is your graphic chipset?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

You know, you just made me - for the first time in my life - truly appreciate my ability to build and maintain my own rig. I never imagined it could be such a daunting task for others. You also made me understand the appeal of macs.

Funny. New.
BrushEnthusiast

PatrickSJ wrote:What is your graphic chipset?
Sorry, I'm a n00b. Do you mean this? Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Poppycocks wrote:How much did your mac cost?
It cost about $1200.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Intel's graphics chipsets are crap, so you may be SOL. Usually you need something from Nvidia or ATI.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Katalliaan wrote:Intel's graphics chipsets are crap, so you may be SOL. Usually you need something from Nvidia or ATI.
Especially the integrated ones.
BrushEnthusiast

Katalliaan wrote:Intel's graphics chipsets are crap, so you may be SOL. Usually you need something from Nvidia or ATI.
I know, that's why I'm making sure. I don't want to have wait forever to get a different computer.
Poppycocks wrote:God damn, my pc is from two thousand and fucking six, costed 1k €(whole rig), still plays skyrim. (looks like shiet, getting around 16 fps, vertical mouse movement is atrocious)
But still, heck.
Sorry, I don't really see your point.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

BrushEnthusiast wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote:What is your graphic chipset?
Sorry, I'm a n00b. Do you mean this? Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Regarding graphics:
Ah... Eek. I wouldn't recommend Skyrim. You don't meet the min specs.
You are above the min specs for Fallout 3, but below the recommended.
BrushEnthusiast

PatrickSJ wrote:Regarding graphics:
Ah... Eek. I wouldn't recommend Skyrim. You don't meet the min specs.
You are above the min specs for Fallout 3, but below the recommended.
How is your chipset different from mine? IIRC, you can't customize that.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

15" has different specs, and yes you can customize (sometimes).

I have AMD Radeon HD 6750M - VRAM (Total): 1024 MB.
BrushEnthusiast

PatrickSJ wrote:15" has different specs, and yes you can customize (sometimes).

I have AMD Radeon HD 6750M - VRAM (Total): 1024 MB.
Aaah. Okay, thank you. I guess I won't try it, then.