M!C's News Compilation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: M!C's News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:We he noticed the fence exploit (place fences under farmland to keep them safe) and fixed it, people complained about it, and he said that the problem was the trampling thing itself.
So that's his solution ;)
Wow. Man, I really don't think farming in MC needs to be made easier.

Sorry for the bitching. That one really caught me by surprise. Building fences around my farms is a long-term habit of mine that I found really added to the life of my world, and I'm sad to see that kind of multi-block system and that kind of construction-design consideration suddenly disappear from the game. I even thought it was cool having to sneak around my crops to avoid trampling them, and that also affected how I chose to build my farms (preferring rows of two so I wouldn't have to walk on the crops most of the time).
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
Battosay wrote:We he noticed the fence exploit (place fences under farmland to keep them safe) and fixed it, people complained about it, and he said that the problem was the trampling thing itself.
So that's his solution ;)
Wow. Man, I really don't think farming in MC needs to be made easier.

Sorry for the bitching. That one really caught me by surprise. Building fences around my farms is a long-term habit of mine that I found really added to the life of my world, and I'm sad to see that kind of multi-block system and that kind of construction-design consideration suddenly disappear from the game. I even thought it was cool having to sneak around my crops to avoid trampling them, and that also affected how I chose to build my farms (preferring rows of two so I wouldn't have to walk on the crops most of the time).
I have to agree with this. Fenced in, or otherwise protected farms just look better. I kind wondered if something like this was coming though - none of the villages have fences around their wheat farms, showing that this kind of design ethos towards structures in the world is not part of the way Jeb or Notch think. This is kind of why I was leery of villages and NPCs in Minecraft in the first place. When you take a world generator where the majority of people are building the structures they find in their imagination and start adding the creator's buildings in there... it starts to crush imagination, either by people copying what the creator did, or by changing the way the world works to fit better with the creator's imagination.

Okay. /rant off >_>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

FlowerChild wrote: Wow. Man, I really don't think farming in MC needs to be made easier.

Perhaps a roll-back will be in order then? Though I must admit my non-automated farms tend to be inside a building and/or mountain.
Alrin

Post by Alrin »

Eh, I dont care that much about the trample change. It's a minor convenience thing, really.
Besides, fencing in an outdoors farm has always been how it should be. It's a standard practice. Like how when putting up a windmill wheel I actually build a physical windmill, even though for practical reasons I could just have the thing sitting on a single block pillar with axels in mid-air.
Its aesthetics to me really. If you used to have fences around your wheatfarm before this, you probably still will. Just because.
And once you really want to set up a proper farm you will do it in a constrained space where fencing is not even an option anymore.
Sheep re-growing wool though, that was about time :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Alrin wrote:Eh, I dont care that much about the trample change. It's a minor convenience thing, really.
I don't know man. Free form building is far less interesting than having to build with practical considerations in place. It's one of the concepts this mod is based around.

I really thought Mojang was tuning into this when they made enchanting dependent on the number of bookshelves around the table. The trampling thing primarily bothers me as a step away from that kind of thinking.
misterwuggles

Post by misterwuggles »

For now, I think it's fine since trampling is really just an annoyance what with it being completely avoidable simply by moving slower (for the player at least--no real reason to remove animals trampling your stuff other than to appease whiners). However, I'd say farming as a whole is terribly bland in comparison to a small change like this which is why it doesn't really bother me too much, but that's just my lax view on the matter. A slightly more interesting way to address the problem would have been to keep trampling and add a float potion that makes it so you don't trample crops or farmland when you walk on it.

I wish farming in general was a bit more fine tuned rather than just being blanket features. I'm pretty sure you can walk on wheat and even stomp it down (to an extent of course heh) and it's not really going to hurt the harvest or the soil to the point where it's destroyed and needs to be re-tilled. On the other hand, some plants ARE fragile and can EASILY be trampled or ruined. Optimally I'd like to see farming where each crop is actually a different crop rather than just being a simple set of farming rules that applies to every single crop no matter how different they should be. I'd like to see some crops be pane/fence/siding sized so that you have room to walk in between them without trampling them. I'd like to see some that are just hardcore and you have to be careful not to tramp them. Etc, etc.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

I wonder if the no-trampling change is partially an adjustment necessary for the villagers? I've noticed that in the local village, the NPC villagers are frequently trampling their own crops.

Not that I'd expect anything better from a humanoid too stupid to open a door and let themselves out of their own house...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dralnalak wrote:I wonder if the no-trampling change is partially an adjustment necessary for the villagers? I've noticed that in the local village, the NPC villagers are frequently trampling their own crops.

Not that I'd expect anything better from a humanoid too stupid to open a door and let themselves out of their own house...
Fortunately, the souls of innocents (or the somewhat sentient) are the most valuable of all in Steve's ongoing struggle against the Enderdragon. Expect them to have a practical use in the near future ;)
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FlowerChild wrote:Fortunately, the souls of innocents (or the somewhat sentient) are the most valuable of all in Steve's ongoing struggle against the Enderdragon. Expect them to have a practical use in the near future ;)
Excellent!

Now I'm really happy that I entombed in blocks of dirt those villagers who tried to escape the village by my base.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

At least I can torture make them productive. The villagers trampling their own crops just proves my above point as well.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Mhm, something/someone has been eating my edits to the OP ... let's hope this one makes it ...
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Too be honest, I can see the point about the animal trampling being in.

Buuuut, I'm fairly zealous about the idea of not having to sneak half a mile just to pick up my crops.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Removing player trampling is good if you ask me. Removing mob trampling was just stupid though.

If jumping still destroys crops though, you'll still have to fence your farms in. Animals tend to jump a lot.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Animals tend to jump a lot.
Like dying fish on a sidewalk
SCIENCE!
M!C

Post by M!C »

Magmarashi wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: Animals tend to jump a lot.
Like dying fish on a sidewalk
Worse, the fish die at some point = stop moving. The animals don't, especially when they're stuck. :P
Urian

Post by Urian »

While I don't see the point of removing trampling for mobs, I guess that the jumping will mean we still need fences. That is of course before the whole farm gets automated and enclosed :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm extremely busy atm. So feel free to bring up anything new yourself, I'll update the OP on sunday ... hopefully.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Jeb just posted this weeks snapshot and changelog: http://mojang.com/2011/12/08/minecraft- ... t-week-49/

The change log is:
  • Sheep eat grass and regain their wool
  • Farmland is no longer destroyed by items and particles (haha, lol…)
  • Added multiple languages
  • Corrected a setTileEntity multiplayer bug
  • Corrected a powered rail bug
  • Corrected a redstone update bug
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Urian wrote:[*]Corrected a redstone update bug[/list]
This one is very elusive. Need more infos :o
Urian

Post by Urian »

I agree. There was some mentions of something to do with doors but I'm not certain if that's the one he meant or if it's something else.

Also, this was added to the log:
  • Added a “spawn mob” egg item to creative mode
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Urian wrote:Also, this was added to the log:
Seems like the kind of thing you could use to make things more interesting for people that are in survival mode - fly up high, and start throwing those down at people on the surface.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Urian wrote:Jeb just posted this weeks snapshot and changelog: http://mojang.com/2011/12/08/minecraft- ... t-week-49/

The change log is:
  • Sheep eat grass and regain their wool
Depending on regrowth rate this might invalidate Sheep breeding to a degree, no?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Urian wrote: Also, this was added to the log:
It'll be very fun if you could spawn ender-dragons...(exp anyone?)
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Flesh_Engine wrote: Depending on regrowth rate this might invalidate Sheep breeding to a degree, no?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. However, unless you have a way to automate sheering, breeding would still be required by an automated system.

Anyways, I don't think it's a bad thing to have different mechanics for harvesting different animals as it makes things interested. I was actually kinda bummed that they made chickens breed with wheat too, as they already had a nice breeding mechanic in place that differentiated them from other mobs. It also feels rather weird for chickens to be birthing live chicks like that.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Yeah, i thought it was strange as well :/

You can always change it somewhere down the road when you tackle animal breeding ;)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."