Dwarf Fortress has been updated after 2 years

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kazuya Mishima

Dwarf Fortress has been updated after 2 years

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

Don't expect dwarf therapist to work with it and with the focus on adventure god knows what condition fortress mode will be in.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Dwarf Fortress has been updated after 2 years

Post by Sarudak »

Interesting. I might give it a try again although certainly not before he's worked out some of the most egregious bugs and dwarf therapist is updated again. Still it sounds like there haven't been all that many changes to the fortress mode aspect which is where I have the most interest.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

The persistent worldgen is a pretty big deal for fortress mode. Not to mention politics. It is worth a try. :)
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah a quick check on the forums tells me that the bug level is most horrific. I *am* interested in trying it out again eventually. I don't think I've played since before the first adventurer update.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm very much looking forward to trying it once the bugs have been ironed out (well, to the level that normally happens in DF) - when I saw the new release announcement in the monthly report I picked up the then current version and have been playing it again.

DF is a lot more enjoyable with a decent CPU powering it.

The new update makes it sound like advanture mode will actually be fun this time around (it wasn't before), and with things like fruit trees, climbing, politics, persistant armies moving around the world and so on, the spillover into fortress should make things a fair bit more interesting.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: The new update makes it sound like advanture mode will actually be fun this time around (it wasn't before), and with things like fruit trees, climbing, politics, persistant armies moving around the world and so on, the spillover into fortress should make things a fair bit more interesting.
Will it though? I've been sporadically following DF's development over the past couple of years and my reaction has been more along the lines of "man...I really hope he gets back to fortress mode". In terms of fortress play, does stuff like whether an invading army is just randomly generated on the spot or is a persistent part of the world really make any difference?

I of course have total respect for a dev going their own way and doing their own thing like this, but as a player, I can't say anything that has been done really piques my curiosity.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well it will once you get the option to effect the outside world more from fortress mode (expeditions). And it certainly is from a living world perspective. (Wipe out that goblin fort in adventurer mode that destroyed your fort and you can get actual vengance against the goblins involved and get back your adamantine artifact sword). The truth is toady is *not* trying to make a game. He's building a fantasy world simulator that you get to peer into through a game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Well it will once you get the option to effect the outside world more from fortress mode (expeditions). And it certainly is from a living world perspective. (Wipe out that goblin fort in adventurer mode that destroyed your fort and you can get actual vengance against the goblins involved and get back your adamantine artifact sword). The truth is toady is *not* trying to make a game. He's building a fantasy world simulator that you get to peer into through a game.
Oh yeah, I get that and it's totally cool. However, it's just not the kind of thing that gives me gamer wood :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well... Me neither... But I still do appreciate the game as it is. I just wish (like you) that he would work on things that would really make dwarf mode pop like more complex siege mechanics or expeditions.

EDIT: Or more complex logistics. Farming could do with more complexity maybe land depletion requiring some kind of fertilizer which you could harvest from the caves. Forts should require a water source (even if you're just drinking booze) because building wells is fun and interesting.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Sarudak wrote:Well... Me neither... But I still do appreciate the game as it is. I just wish (like you) that he would work on things that would really make dwarf mode pop like more complex siege mechanics or expeditions.

EDIT: Or more complex logistics. Farming could do with more complexity maybe land depletion requiring some kind of fertilizer which you could harvest from the caves. Forts should require a water source (even if you're just drinking booze) because building wells is fun and interesting.
It's my understanding that certain types of enemies can climb vertical surfaces now so that should make dealing with sieges more problematic.

Still i doubt he eliminated some of the most irritating bugs i experienced like the burrows bug, building a wall on top of a wall, fishing, bee keeping, can't move cages with hostile organisms inside to the trade debot http://threepanelsoul.com/2008/05/12/on-trade-goods/

Speaking of cages they always seemed imbalanced in that you can catch some really menacing things inside with a simple cage trap. I always wished for a better trap dynamic in that larger or more complex the intelligence of the entity you wish to trap would require an increase the size and complexity of the trap proportionally.

I would catch some really insidious things inside cages meant to trap game animals so you couldn't just not use cages if you wanted to explore husbandry of exotic animals, unless you trade for them.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I work on World Viewer and just updated it. If anyone has been playing this version since it came out and has one or more well developed forts in a world I'd appreciate if you could share your save so I could better test the update.