Unofficial Suggestions List

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Stormweaver

Re: Un-Offical Suggestions List

Post by Stormweaver »

If you're going to make a first post in a thread for an epic mod, you gotta do it right. *tries*

I remember from when reading through the original minecraft forum thread, that flower has nothing against adding in concepts from other mods, so long as it fits the theme and balance of BTW so far. And since none of my other thoughts for BTW can work without finitewater compatibility (i can dream), that leaves me with...
----------------------------------------------------------
Title: Pipes!
Use: The movement of items (and blocks!) in item form
Recipe: gears, rope and wooden planks. If I knew how to make a picture of it, I would...but it at least needs rope. A bit like this.
PGP
XRX
PGP
where X is either nothing or rope. I dunno.

Purpose: As in the mod with pipes (Buildcraft, I think), pipes would be used to take items from one place that has items, and put them somewhere else where items want to be. This can be up, down, or even in the four other directions! The concept would be similar to that of previously suggested conveyor belts, but in a more self-contained and mod-fitting way.
Justification: BTW has mechanical power, and mechanical power implies moving things, and most of the time what people want moving is their items; be it from an automated farm, or simply to save walking from one chest to another. The implementation could (and in my opinion, should) be similar to that of the axles we currently have: A block (currently just the hopper, but something to take items from chests/furnaces/other pipes...I'll call it an 'extractor' for now) is powered by an axle, which in turn powers up to three pipe sections that come from the output. After this, another powered 'extractor' can continue for three more blocks, and so on. I feel that this would be in Steve's capacity to make at BTW's current tech level (wooden tube full of rope < lasergun) and promotes the early-industrial feel BTW has.

...just as a side note though, anything more than wooden pipes would probably be overkill and cease to mesh well with the mod; no super-accelerating gold pipes or vacuuming obsidian >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

Stormweaver wrote:If you're going to make a first post in a thread for an epic mod, you gotta do it right. *tries*

I remember from when reading through the original minecraft forum thread, that flower has nothing against adding in concepts from other mods, so long as it fits the theme and balance of BTW so far. And since none of my other thoughts for BTW can work without finitewater compatibility (i can dream), that leaves me with...
-snip-
Given what FC has said in the past about BuildCraft, I don't think pipes are going in. He seems to respect the technical prowess required, but also seemed to think that the mod took away from the experience of playing the game.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Creepig wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:If you're going to make a first post in a thread for an epic mod, you gotta do it right. *tries*

-snip-
Given what FC has said in the past about BuildCraft, I don't think pipes are going in. He seems to respect the technical prowess required, but also seemed to think that the mod took away from the experience of playing the game.
Huh, he had the same thought as me then >.<

Too many mods have insanely op features overshadowing simple balanced ones these days tbh...and buildcraft is definitely one of them. If you took out the auto-crafting, vacuum cleaner pipes, infinite pipe lengths, autobuilding structures...you'd be left with quite a nice mod there that enhances gameplay. But, this is just a suggestion forum, so it's all opinions, no?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

After giving it some thought, I'd like to make a suggestion that maybe one of the Flying Turtles can carry over if they feel it worthy.

I noticed that FC mentioned the ability in an upcoming update to power water wheels in ways other than water flowing under them. Historically, undershot has been the weakest form of water wheel, followed by breastshot, overshot, and backshot. Thus, my proposal is that perhaps powering the wheel from above should cause it to mill faster, due to the addition of gravity the force diagram. Honestly, I haven't looked at how feasible it is, but it would give an added incentive to backshooting your wheel instead of just plunking it down in a flowing stream.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Quill and Inkwell

Does anyone know if the Mojang crew have any plans to implement this kind of thing? If not, it seems like something that could fit well into BTW (albiet primarily Aesthetic).

Recipe
F
G I G
G

F = Feather
I = Ink
G = Glass
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

finite8 wrote:Quill and Inkwell

Does anyone know if the Mojang crew have any plans to implement this kind of thing? If not, it seems like something that could fit well into BTW (albiet primarily Aesthetic).

Recipe
F
G I G
G

F = Feather
I = Ink
G = Glass
would it have any function at all?
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

empath wrote:This mod seems to have a lot of good ideas.

-snip-

Ziplines and rope bridges. How hard do you think it would be to get these two working together? All you'd have to do is change the rope item to use BTWs instead, I think.
That is awesome! If FC doesn't do something like this, then I'll mod that mod to use BTW items and textures.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:

Recipe
F
G I G
G

F = Feather
I = Ink
G = Glass
would it have any function at all?
Like i said, aesthetic addition. The obvious purpose would be doing things like:
- Writing in books.
- Drawing on Paper (for attaching to blocks like paintings).
- Changing signs.

There might be other uses... can't think of any right now.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

sargunster wrote:

-snip-

Ziplines and rope bridges. How hard do you think it would be to get these two working together? All you'd have to do is change the rope item to use BTWs instead, I think.
just wow, amazing, FC you really should do something like this, ovbivously making the recipies using you blocks, but this is an amazing idea!

EDIT: the two are compatible as is, so i guess i dont need to hope anymore:)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

That ropebridge/zipline is nice, little wonky on the placements and final execution but for their first mod that is serious business. With how much FC mentioned that horizontal travel was impossible /impractical a little bit of me is hoping that he has something like this up his sleeve.

I wonder how much of a hypocritical feeling FC would get he had other people wanting to joining his mod and ended up turn it into a modpack with mechanical power transferring between the mods and use of base elements (well element: hemp) in their mod.- what a headache that would be.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Recipe
F
G I G
G

F = Feather
I = Ink
G = Glass
IMO, a better recipe would be this:

F
I
B

F = Feather
I = Ink
B = Wooden bowl
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

darahalian wrote:IMO, a better recipe would be this:

F
I
B

F = Feather
I = Ink
B = Wooden bowl
The frivolity of a quill and inkwell notwithstanding, the reason for using glass instead of the more common wood is that wood is porous, and the ink would eventually soak it and possibly even seep through. Glass does not have this problem.
Ivan G.

Post by Ivan G. »

As a suggestion, I think that a "suggestion list" would work best with a system of 'upvoting' and 'downvoting'. That way, a person could have an idea, and then us (the community) would readd it and 'vote' on whether we like it or not. WIth the way it's being done right now, you don't really know how many people support the idea, so you can't really tell if it's a GREAT idea or an ...okay idea.

Now with what great website could we implement this idea of mine? I'm drawing a blank...
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

ToonYoshi wrote:I dont know if theres already a mod for this. Just tell me if there is.

Submarines.
Doesn't fit in BTW, but from Flan's Planes mod for 1.6.6, they could go underwater. Still limited by the amount of air Steve can breathe.
Creepig

Post by Creepig »

Ivan G. wrote:As a suggestion, I think that a "suggestion list" would work best with a system of 'upvoting' and 'downvoting'. That way, a person could have an idea, and then us (the community) would readd it and 'vote' on whether we like it or not. WIth the way it's being done right now, you don't really know how many people support the idea, so you can't really tell if it's a GREAT idea or an ...okay idea.

Now with what great website could we implement this idea of mine? I'm drawing a blank...
History has shown us repeatedly that an idea that the majority supports is not always the best idea. In fact, it can be a very bad idea.

Don't make a political joke, Creepig. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't Bush i- oops.
James_Past

Post by James_Past »

Creepig wrote:
Ivan G. wrote:As a suggestion, I think that a "suggestion list" would work best with a system of 'upvoting' and 'downvoting'. That way, a person could have an idea, and then us (the community) would readd it and 'vote' on whether we like it or not. WIth the way it's being done right now, you don't really know how many people support the idea, so you can't really tell if it's a GREAT idea or an ...okay idea.

History has shown us repeatedly that an idea that the majority supports is not always the best idea. In fact, it can be a very bad idea.

Don't make a political joke, Creepig. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't Bush i- oops.

While I don't completely agree with your statement completely, I do agree that a voting system for game development would be a bad idea. The difference between these 2 situations is people can very easily drop this mod and leave with ease while citizens cannot.

So my point is if you make suggestion and people like it and the developer decides not to do it, then most of us would be fine with that and those who are not can leave and we won't give a shit.
Ivan G.

Post by Ivan G. »

Creepig wrote: History has shown us repeatedly that an idea that the majority supports is not always the best idea. In fact, it can be a very bad idea.
Maybe. I just really dislike the whole "forum" idea. For the other thread there were at least 500 pages. I was interested in reading the ideas and opinions of the users and Flower, but fuck reading 500 pages. A subreddit for BTW would be more user-friendly, at least for me.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I think at least the "plus one" system that exists on the MCF would be a nice addition here, especially for this suggestion thread.
Creepig wrote: The frivolity of a quill and inkwell notwithstanding, the reason for using glass instead of the more common wood is that wood is porous, and the ink would eventually soak it and possibly even seep through. Glass does not have this problem.
Hm. Didn't think of that. It's not like that sort of realism exists in minecraft anyway, but I guess the glass recipe would also allow the inkwell to look more like a traditional well and not just a bowl. Or both recipes could work, but have different amounts of use. I think I would have to argue that being able to write on paper and in books wouldn't be frivolous, though, and would actually be kind of cool.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
GotLag

Post by GotLag »

I noticed in the wiki that the use of the mill to make stone slabs will be changed in future. How about a stone/masonry saw? Use the same recipe as the normal saw, but with diamonds instead of iron for the blade.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

GotLag wrote:I noticed in the wiki that the use of the mill to make stone slabs will be changed in future. How about a stone/masonry saw? Use the same recipe as the normal saw, but with diamonds instead of iron for the blade.
This has been suggested MANY times, and I think Flower has his own plans for this.
GotLag

Post by GotLag »

If he wants cutting stone to require more effort than wood, it could require running water.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

darahalian wrote:I think at least the "plus one" system that exists on the MCF would be a nice addition here, especially for this suggestion thread.
They are looking into it.see the post about forum themes

I am liking the idea of running water. maybe make it the reverse of what happens to the windmill when it rains.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
GotLag

Post by GotLag »

The other thing I was thinking of would be that you put a bucket of water in the stone saw, and it lasts for a certain time/number of cuts before being emptied. Give the saw white sprite puffs while it's got water, in the way that furnaces, mills and gearboxes give off black smoke when running.
AgentPaper

Post by AgentPaper »

Hm, what about making more items mill-able? Specifically, bones would be milled into bonemeal, and flowers/cocoa/cacti into dye? This could be used to put dyes and fertilizer higher on the tech tree, or just to give a more efficient method of creating them.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

sargunster wrote:

-snip-

That is awesome! If FC doesn't do something like this, then I'll mod that mod to use BTW items and textures.
Just saw the video; indeed that zipline & ropebridge is awesome.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."