New to BTW. What will I miss if I DONT create a new world?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DMC76

New to BTW. What will I miss if I DONT create a new world?

Post by DMC76 »

So, I've tried BTW for the first time, earlier this week. Absolutely love it!

However, I suspect I will have a hard time convincing my small group to begin a brand new world to accept the changes.
After going through the version changes history, I notice some things here and there that seem dependent on world generation.

I was wondering if someone could short list what we'll be missing out on, content-wise if i simply run our current world as a BTW world, instead of creating a brand new one.

So far I've read there are abandoned villages and some changes to temples that I'm unsure of.
Was just wondering how not having these things will impact the BTW experience, and what else we may be missing.
Mr_Hosed

Re: New to BTW. What will I miss if I DONT create a new worl

Post by Mr_Hosed »

If you have Hardcore Spawn turned on then it's unlikely you'll miss anything (unless your world is heavily developed around spawn and 1000 block radious around spawn.

That being said, the biggest experience differences will be the following:
- Hunting/Nomad/Survival aspects rely a good deal on not having available renewable food early on. Abandoned villages are just a way to ensure you don't get lucky and spawn near a fully stocked village.
- Changes to temples are purely cosmetic. The only difference is obsidian instead of wool highlights and the trap is better setup.
- If your world is well developed then you basically skip through the early part of the game, which although can be frustrating, is very fun. It's also become a large portion of the experience. If you figure it takes 40 hours to make it through the tech tree, 10+ hours is early game survival now.

Hope that helps.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

The short answer would be "nothing". You don't miss out on any new resources, and the changes FC have made has more to do with immersion and "believability".

What you will miss out on is the challenge of starting fresh. With the last many releases, BTW has become more of a stand-alone game, rather than a mod. A lot of the joy in BTW comes out of struggling against the odds, overcoming the massive challenges that it can be to get settled, and ultimately, feeling proud of your accomplishments in your world. Converting an existing minecraft world to use the mod doesnt take any effort, it will work. But it act as both a shortcut to endgame, and maybe a feeling of "missing out" on the unique challenge that BTW provides.

Of course, this is all combated somewhat by Hardcore Spawn, so... :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The entire game progression and the builds you develop need the mechanics from the get go.

To change to BTW from an already developed vanilla world skips the questing to secure food and the way mechanical power develops.

If you mod late game it will be like buying a high level MMO character. You will have tons of skills but no appreciation/understanding from their use.
DMC76

Post by DMC76 »

Thanks all for the quick replies!

With regards to missing out on the early struggle and survival aspect of the game, our plan is to begin a new settlement completely naked. With just enough food to get there and start fresh.

The location i've picked for us is on the other side of a netherportal that exits to the overworld a good 4500+ blocks away from our main. I feel like starting out there, so far away from our luxuries, is a close enough experience to starting a new world.

The problem for some of the group is that they are still relatively new to minecraft. They haven't abandoned dozens of builds in other worlds the way some of us have, and are still in that early phase of minecraft where they become very attached to everything they make.

I'm glad to hear that converting our world to BTW is a happy medium for all.
Sadly, in our test run I seemed to be the only one who liked the random respawning.
I suspect I'll be overruled in the debate to leave it on.

As a side note Thalarctia, your LP series of BTW was one of the reasons I decided to give this mod a try.
THX!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

DMC76 wrote:The problem for some of the group is that they are still relatively new to minecraft. They haven't abandoned dozens of builds in other worlds the way some of us have, and are still in that early phase of minecraft where they become very attached to everything they make.
Then all I can say is that you probably wont find a better time to change over.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

The location i've picked for us is on the other side of a netherportal that exits to the overworld a good 4500+ blocks away from our main. I feel like starting out there, so far away from our luxuries, is a close enough experience to starting a new world.
As an experienced BTW player I chose this tactic once I got used to the recent changes, and IMO it works just fine for the gameplay I think you're trying to generate. Good luck!
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)