What is BWF?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: What is BWF?

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Ah I see it now. Yep that would be pretty sweet to have around.
Honestly though, I don't think this has ever really been a serious part of the debate and is more just another diversionary tactic. My understanding of the whole thing is that this BWF mod was likely in development way before the most recent wind mill episode with Eloraam, but now they're latching on to it to try and justify their actions.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

on a side note:

I visited the technic forums for the first time to day to see thier side of the argument. i now see the problem. they are blatantly misinformed. they only listen to what thier higher ups say and dont seem to draw sources from anywhere else. they seriously think that technic and the forge are serving a good higher purpose and that we would be better off joining them....

wow... just... wow....

(and if this is too negative or strongly accusing, i will delete this post on request)
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ada221 wrote:i now see the problem. they are blatantly misinformed.
Errrr...I don't disagree, however I think the problem is a tad more fundamental than that :)
ada221

Post by ada221 »

im sorry, i may not have been clear, i am referring to a flaw within thier community, not the problem with technic and forge themselves.
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ada221 wrote:im sorry, i may not have been clear, i am referring to a flaw within thier community, not the problem with technic and forge themselves.
As am I man. Forget it...I was making a small joke about their community, not a serious point.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Moved some off-topic posts into a new thread in the Off-topic section.
You're on your own for the link, I'm on my phone and it sucks :p
Gears

Post by Gears »

My server's turned supporting you into a sport by setting up a archery range with a row of LexManos' heads on fence posts.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gears wrote:My server's turned supporting you into a sport by setting up a archery range with a row of LexManos' heads on fence posts.
Lol! It appears I created a whole new sport with my most recent dev-diary :)
Azradun

Post by Azradun »

Gears wrote:My server's turned supporting you into a sport by setting up a archery range with a row of LexManos' heads on fence posts.
Spoiler
Show
While I admire the effort, I still can't stop myself from thinking it's not the kind of mature support that will work in the PR way :P Sorry.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

what I admire is that someone managed to shoot them from the top o.O
Anglican

Post by Anglican »

After reading through the log, Lex claimed that the creator of BWF was not using your code. But if they are still basing the entire mod off yours, due to your copyright notice, isn't that a violation anyway?

Anyway, from what I've picked up, it does appear that Forge is being unfair... And what others have said, it shows they think your mod is great, good enough that they're gonna copy it. Still pretty unfair though :/

Also, slightly off-topic, why did you originally edit base classes? And which ones are edited at the moment?
Warr1024

Post by Warr1024 »

Anglican wrote:...But if they are still basing the entire mod off yours, due to your copyright notice, isn't that a violation anyway?...
This demonstrates a common misconception about copyright. Inventions and mechanics can be patented, code and artwork can be copyrighted, and names and symbols can be trademarked. The only law that covers abstract ideas is Wheaton's Law, which probably applies here...
Make add-ons, not suggestions.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Warr1024 wrote:This demonstrates a common misconception about copyright. Inventions and mechanics can be patented, code and artwork can be copyrighted, and names and symbols can be trademarked. The only law that covers abstract ideas is Wheaton's Law, which probably applies here...
Possibly the best description of the 3 terms I've seen. Thanks for that!
Anglican wrote:After reading through the log, Lex claimed that the creator of BWF was not using your code. But if they are still basing the entire mod off yours, due to your copyright notice, isn't that a violation anyway?
Regardless, FC has stated his issue with this is NOT legal. The issue is simply the moral question: "Should we (the Minecraft community) allow this sort of thing to happen simply because FC has said he does not wish to be part of the Forge?".
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. But I havn't noticed any discussion about RTH from the Forge side of this argument. I can't believe this wouldn't/isn't being used somehow to attempt to further discredit FCs modding philosophy.

I would think that a tc would be anatheme to the Forge API. However, I could see this being the start of a huge 'modding' trend in that direction as modders discover how much versitility that could provide for their work.

edit: Given the above, I wonder if this is an effort by LEX(et al) in an attempt to 'remove' FC from the scene before he puts out a tc release.
Last edited by Marasambala on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

ada221 wrote:on a side note:

I visited the technic forums for the first time to day to see thier side of the argument. i now see the problem. they are blatantly misinformed. they only listen to what thier higher ups say and dont seem to draw sources from anywhere else. they seriously think that technic and the forge are serving a good higher purpose and that we would be better off joining them....

wow... just... wow....

(and if this is too negative or strongly accusing, i will delete this post on request)
Makes Forge sound like a cult. Haha.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Kombucha wrote:Makes Forge sound like a cult. Haha.
Yes, haha:
Spoiler
Show
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Azradun

Post by Azradun »

Elevatator wrote:
Yes, haha:
Spoiler
Show
So *he* calls himself a Coding God?

It puts his accusations of inflated ego made against Flower Child in a very different light :)
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Elevatator wrote:
Yes, haha:
Spoiler
Show
McLovin666

Post by McLovin666 »

While I believe what FlowerAdult is doing is somewhat morally wrong, it should have been done a while ago. Better Than Wolves is a nice mod and I kinda understand why you don't want to be a part of forge but you're limiting your audience to only those with good computers, my computer is crap, I get 10-15 fps in Dayz, 30-40 fps in technic, 60-70 fps in vanilla, and I always use optifine with my settings to the minimum. Compatibility would be a nice thing with BTW, not for those who want RP2, Buildcraft, IC2, Thaumcraft, but for those like me*insert two other voices saying "like me"* who need Optifine, for those who aren't tidy and need InvTweaks, for those who forget recipes and need NEI and for those always losing their homes and need Rei's minimap. So please for the love of Namira just say "I don't give a firetruck" or don't...and now I'm utterly confused on what I wanted to do with this post so I'm just gonna say bye bye. (The views expressed here are the views of an mis/uninformed idiot and are not the views of anyone important) You may now carry on with your maybe pointless lives.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Obvious troll is obvious. Go stir up a shitstorm somewhere else.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

McLovin666 wrote:While I believe what FlowerAdult is doing is somewhat morally wrong, it should have been done a while ago. Better Than Wolves is a nice mod and I kinda understand why you don't want to be a part of forge but you're limiting your audience to only those with good computers, my computer is crap, I get 10-15 fps in Dayz, 30-40 fps in technic, 60-70 fps in vanilla, and I always use optifine with my settings to the minimum. Compatibility would be a nice thing with BTW, not for those who want RP2, Buildcraft, IC2, Thaumcraft, but for those like me*insert two other voices saying "like me"* who need Optifine, for those who aren't tidy and need InvTweaks, for those who forget recipes and need NEI and for those always losing their homes and need Rei's minimap. So please for the love of Namira just say "I don't give a firetruck" or don't...and now I'm utterly confused on what I wanted to do with this post so I'm just gonna say bye bye. (The views expressed here are the views of an mis/uninformed idiot and are not the views of anyone important) You may now carry on with your maybe pointless lives.
I'm running Minecraft w/ BTW on a Radeon 9600. That's an AGP video card and it's nine years old. While OptiFine 'light' didn't make much of a difference, OptiFine HD kills my system. BTW is fine for me.

You must have an intel card; I feel bad for you, son. I have 99 problems but integrated graphics ain't one.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

He's already departed. No need to respond. Move along folks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:He's already departed. No need to respond. Move along folks.
Gods damn it. You interrupted my morning ban :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sorry I'll try to make sure that I always leave on for you in the mornings. ;)
Anglican

Post by Anglican »

FlowerChild, why did you decide to edit baseclasses in the first place? Was it just because you didn't like the idea of scavenging around looking for the right method in an API? Or was it something else.