Stop Endermen From Griefing

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Woe

Stop Endermen From Griefing

Post by Woe »

Hi, I've been playing BTW for a few weeks now and I'm loving it, but I have one problem. I hate it when Endermen pick up blocks. It bugs me so much that I have to turn off /gamerule mobgriefing. The problem with that is it also nerf Creepers, which I don't like. I think Creepers are meant to add more danger and challenge to the game, which I love, while Endermen that pick up blocks are just simply annoying - they don't really add onto the game. When I play "vanilla" Minecraft, I use this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/631 ... locks-mod/. I tried using it with BTW but it doesn't work. My point on making this thread is to look/ask for an add-on or something to stop Endermen from picking up blocks. I imagine it would be quite easy to make, I just don't know how to do it myself. Help me please, my OCPD is haunting me.

TL;DR: how do I stop Endermen from picking up blocks without nerfing Creepers?
Last edited by Woe on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padfoote

Re: Stop Endermen From Griefing

Post by Padfoote »

This is belongs in the suggestion sub-forum if you're asking to completely remove that feature, however, FC did a change to endermen to make their terraforming less random, as well as tie the tech tree into it, so this won't happen.

As for disabling it, I don't see why you would want to. Light the area up and do a quick check every once and a while and you won't have a single issue.

Edited for more information.
Last edited by Padfoote on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Padfoote wrote:This is belongs in the suggestion sub-forum, however, FC did a change to endermen to make their terraforming less random, as well as tie the tech tree into it, so this won't happen.
Oh I'm sorry. Could you expand on that a little more? I'm fairly new to BTW.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

He's asking more or less for an add-on. More Off-Topic than anything.
Woe wrote: Oh I'm sorry. Could you expand on that a little more? I'm fairly new to BTW.
They only take blocks from corners, and provide a useful resource in the End.

They're also hardcore, cold blooded killers.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Woe wrote: Oh I'm sorry. Could you expand on that a little more? I'm fairly new to BTW.
FC did a change to endermen where they will do more of a flattening of the area, rather than a random gather of whatever they feel like. He then added the ability for them to change whatever block they hold into Endstone, which is required to make gunpowder.

EDIT: Ninja'd. And I noticed that after I reread it a few times. Sorry, my mind is off today.
EDIT 2: Here's a link so you can see the reason for them being tied to the tech tree.
Last edited by Padfoote on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

As above, the changes to endermen in BTW mean that you don't get random noise anymore. After a long period of time (hundreds of gameplay hours) you might notice your hills starting to flatten out though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Woe

Post by Woe »

ExpHP wrote: They only take blocks from corners, and provide a useful resource in the End.

Padfoote wrote:
Woe wrote: FC did a change to endermen where they will do more of a flattening of the area, rather than a random gather of whatever they feel like. He then added the ability for them to change whatever block they hold into Endstone, which is required to make gunpowder.
Oh, I see. I guess I'll have to get used to that. By the way, what do you mean by corners? And they still pick up the same blocks as vanilla or FC changed that too?
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Woe wrote:
ExpHP wrote: They only take blocks from corners, and provide a useful resource in the End.

Padfoote wrote:
Woe wrote: FC did a change to endermen where they will do more of a flattening of the area, rather than a random gather of whatever they feel like. He then added the ability for them to change whatever block they hold into Endstone, which is required to make gunpowder.
Oh, I see. I guess I'll have to get used to that. By the way, what do you mean by corners? And they still pick up the same blocks as vanilla or FC changed that too?
Same as vanilla. I think it's best to play and observe by immersion. It's usually more fun/challenging that way.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Basically, they take blocks from much less noticeable places. Like taking one from the edge of a level of a hill, rather than leaving a hole in the middle. If I didn't take daily snapshots of my world, I wouldn't have noticed it.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Oh ok. I guess that's not so bad. Thanks everyone.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote:Same as vanilla.
Well, not exactly. I've removed a few blocks (like flowers & other small blocks that don't make sense for the conversion), and added a few (like logs...they can effectively strip trees right out of the landscape from the top down).
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

FlowerChild wrote:
abzu93 wrote:Same as vanilla.
Well, not exactly. I've removed a few blocks (like flowers & other small blocks that don't make sense for the conversion), and added a few (like logs...they can effectively strip trees right out of the landscape from the top down).
Thanks much for the clarification :)
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote:Thanks much for the clarification :)
No problem. I think it's been in long enough for me to talk about openly without fear of spoiling people's sense of discovery.

As an aside, during my initial tests where I had them swarming like bees across the landscape, watching them leveling hills and stripping the trees from them was hela-cool :)

I put a fair amount of work into the tree aspect, as I didn't want lone trees left standing on solitary blocks left behind to indicate they had been there.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Oh how a wish there was an "Enderman Rising" event where I could see this happen in my own worlds.... Might have to officially post that in the suggestion forum someday.

That aside, I've been playing TC3 lately and I REALLY miss the Enderman "less-griefing" enhancements you made FC. Such a brilliant enhancement to an otherwise broken vanilla mechanic. Never even realized they would hit my trees as well... Stupid video card died this weekend otherwise I'd boot up BTW and watch this happen just because it's so cool.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr_Hosed wrote: That aside, I've been playing TC3 lately and I REALLY miss the Enderman "less-griefing" enhancements you made FC. Such a brilliant enhancement to an otherwise broken vanilla mechanic. Never even realized they would hit my trees as well... Stupid video card died this weekend otherwise I'd boot up BTW and watch this happen just because it's so cool.
Hehe...it's not really the kind of thing you notice unless you just happen to see an Enderman pickup a log block (which would be rare given how many other blocks are available for them to do so).

It's more the kind of thing you'd notice if it WASN'T working and you kept coming across solitary trees standing on single-blocks ;)

So, since nobody has mentioned anything weird with trees since I released Hardcore Endermen, I took it as an indication I had done it right :)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Hah, seamless!
So fantastically seamless!
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

i never realized how much thought and carefull consideration whent into the change. good job.

by the way: enderman really freak ne out now, they used to be meh its a enderman, now its , oh ... don't look, whatever you do don't look.

total number of enderman killed by me since the change 0, and thats no through the lack of trying lol.

they even make me nervous about walking about my mantion now... my next house its going to have a glass ceiling.

thanks for the update
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Talrea wrote:i never realized how much thought and carefull consideration whent into the change. good job.
Thanks man! Yeah, I spent a lot of time thinking that one through as Endermen were really beginning to annoy the shit out of me with their pointless random griefing on the landscape, especially when they were so potentially cool.

I always liked the underlying idea of them picking up blocks, so I wanted to retain that while giving it a purpose and make it feel much less random, while also making their actions feel more sinister and dangerous.

I'm glad it seems to have worked out :)

There's still a couple of small changes that I would have liked to make to them though, that I may or may not work in there over the next little while.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

should i be scared?

ok new plan for houses ... no more grand ceilings and 6 block high halls, have everything 2 blocks high... and flooded.

joking.

i'm a very careful causios player and with the tweaks to enderman, it kinda scares me what youl think up for RTH.

but vMC is far to easy, and no challengle. so well bring it on and let the slaughter, i mean game continue.