To Troubled To sleep.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Panda

To Troubled To sleep.

Post by Panda »

So i was wondering since we have no lore regarding the reason steve is too tired to sleep what you guys think the reason is? Make up anything youde like, im not complaining about HC beds because i love it. Still though i want to know what people think the reason steve is soo troubled.
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: To Troubled To sleep.

Post by Sarudak »

The world is not as it seems... Nothing is right. The endermen. They are watching and they will come for me in the night.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

The guy harvests souls for personal gain, and slaughters living creatures by the thousands - could *you* sleep with all that on your conscience? ;)
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

He's got a bit of homework in for the next day?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I approve of this thread. I'm surprised it isn't a topic that has come up before :)
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

its funny, i wondered the same thing when i first saw that. i always figured that there was something that steve wants to do but he cant yet which is eating away at him. however its made much more sense now due to recent developments. steve misses his true home. for what ever reason he has been exsiled or trapped out side of his true domain, his world, his home. this is too much for steve to handle and he cannot rest peacefully unless he is in his real bed, which is none existent in the plains of minecraftia.

getting a good nights sleep must be just one of the reasons why steve MUST return home, for his own peace of mind and well being.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Eriottosan wrote:The guy harvests souls for personal gain, and slaughters living creatures by the thousands - could *you* sleep with all that on your conscience? ;)
Are you implying Steve has a conscience?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

What, if your world was developed by mojang, you would sleep just fine? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:What, if your world was developed by mojang, you would sleep just fine? ;)
Hehe...good point here. If you're living in a world where increasingly poorly conceived things are magically springing into existence, I suspect it would be rather troubling :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Sarudak wrote:Are you implying Steve has a conscience?
Yes. It's ineffective, but it's there. In some form or another. Perhaps he has an external conscience, like Jiminy Cricket was? One which won't let him sleep.

Or perhaps he actually is dreaming, and it is in fact his waking reality he can't bear to face.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, the above just gave me an amusing idea, that I won't implement, but I thought worth sharing for humor value:

I just thought of having in-game altars to the gods "Notch" and "FlowerChild". Praying at each would generate various magical effects. Notch's alter would be all positive...flowers and snowmen and unicorns and such. FlowerChild's would be all along the lines of pestilence and decay.

The mythos of your BTW/MC world ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think you got it wrong. Jeb's altar would be the one of decay...
Panda

Post by Panda »

My personal thought was that despite great technical feats he has accomplished he still remains alone only to do the same thing day in and day out. Suffering from constant anxiety of being blown up, shot and bitten. Feeling as though he cannot escape a predetermined minecraft fate, and in no way ever to truly die.

P.s. I love the idea flower, ide pray to your shrine.
Never say no to Panda.
htothetml

Post by htothetml »

Sarudak wrote:I think you got it wrong. Jeb's altar would be the one of decay...
Ba-zing! I think FlowerChild's would be more sell your soul for all the SFS you would need...
Back on topic perhaps it is all the machines that are keeping him awake? They are running all the time so it must make a lot of noise. I wouldn't be able to sleep to the sound of mill stones, unless they were grinding netherack. Those Ghast screams always bring me peace :)
FlowerChild wrote:A witch! A witch! Buuurrrrrn her!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly, I think he's troubled by the bed itself. He's in a strange world where rules don't seem to exist, and the bed is the final straw - how can so much wool come from a sheep? How does so much wood come from a log? How do they all fit together to make something less than a third of the size?

These things trouble him every time he tries to sleep.
FlowerChild wrote:Actually, the above just gave me an amusing idea, that I won't implement, but I thought worth sharing for humor value:

I just thought of having in-game altars to the gods "Notch" and "FlowerChild". Praying at each would generate various magical effects. Notch's alter would be all positive...flowers and snowmen and unicorns and such. FlowerChild's would be all along the lines of pestilence and decay.

The mythos of your BTW/MC world ;)
Now we just need a beacon tie-in, and we'd have our own voxelised version of Black & White :)

Then again...testificate villages have churches and priests. Who are they praying to?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Sarudak wrote:I think you got it wrong. Jeb's altar would be the one of decay...
Why do you think he would be worthy of having one? He destroys the overworld and nether, and just is plain stupid (as a designer), and while FC enjoys punching kittens and forcing us to enslave the souls of the (perhaps not so) innocent, he builds upon the world and keeps it fun.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

htothetml wrote: I think FlowerChild's would be more sell your soul for all the SFS you would need...
This assumes Steve's soul is valuable...

My take on being troubled...
Steve found himself in a wacked world and is trying to get back home. I do not know how or why Steve left/got kicked out nor do I know what's waiting for him when he gets back. But Steve does and he seems quite dertermined to get there, so much so that he never rests. So it falls to me to help him create what he needs to get back. Perhaps he was someone important. Perhaps there is a war going on and he knows something that will help his side. Perhaps he was alone and a science experiment went wrong and he needs to get back before his coffee gets cold. Maybe he hates mojang. I suppose we will find out soon enough!
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Steve if troubled because he wants to get back home and he is trying to find a way to collect enough power to do it.
All he has to work with are the pathetically weak souls around him and he is wracking his brain for a way to condense and control enough power to break through to his home dimension.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

SterlingRed wrote: This assumes Steve's soul is valuable...

My take on being troubled...
Steve found himself in a wacked world and is trying to get back home. I do not know how or why Steve left/got kicked out nor do I know what's waiting for him when he gets back. But Steve does and he seems quite dertermined to get there, so much so that he never rests. So it falls to me to help him create what he needs to get back. Perhaps he was someone important. Perhaps there is a war going on and he knows something that will help his side. Perhaps he was alone and a science experiment went wrong and he needs to get back before his coffee gets cold. Maybe he hates mojang. I suppose we will find out soon enough!
I'm not quite convinced Steve has a soul. He's on this huge journey to steal souls of other creatures, bottle them up and use them as his own... Yet if you kill a newly "spawned" Steve, he doesn't drop one. I think he's a soulless vessel that's trapped in a world trying to get Home. Or something, yada yada.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Maybe Steve's body is just a living vessel in which to imprison the actual Steve? His/her/it's body can't fall asleep due to the horror of playing host to an extremely potent eldritch being. And the Device is the only way to break free of that prison and return to his own plane of existence...

But then this raises the question of whether or not the vessel should be kept in order to potentially return and achieve total mastery of the overworld, or just leave it to commit suicide and end its suffering.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, a refinement of the altar idea that works very well IMO, would be to still retain the good and evil god aspect, but relate it to game difficulty.

Praying at my altar would result in things like HCB becoming enabled. Praying at Notch's would give you stuff like beds.

I think it suits the prayers of players for either a harder or easier MC quite well ;)

Again, I won't do this, but amusing none the less.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I wish games would incorporate more metagame things into the game world -- saves and reloads, difficulty settings, and so on.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

*Looks at FC suspiciously*

Are you feeling alright?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:*Looks at FC suspiciously*

Are you feeling alright?
Hehe...yeah, I feel great actually. My creativity is just running rampant due to moving forward on Home :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Oh ok... Well... Carry on then. ;D