Game Freezes on "Simulating world for a bit" screen

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
jeffkphoto

Game Freezes on "Simulating world for a bit" screen

Post by jeffkphoto »

Game freezes on the "Simulating world for a bit" screen...

So far I:
--Deleted the bin folder
--Ran Minecraft without mods and loaded a level to make sure vanilla works (it does)
--Downloaded the latest copies of BTW, Forge and Modloader (those are the only mods I am using)
--Installed the mods
--yes I deleted the META-INF folder

when I try to run the game I get stuck on the "Simulating..." screen
I've gone through this cycle twice, and don't know what else to do.

modloader.txt file:

Sep 6, 2011 5:32:26 PM ModLoader init
FINE: ModLoader Beta 1.7.3 Initializing...
Sep 6, 2011 5:32:26 PM ModLoader readFromClassPath
FINER: Adding mods from C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar
Sep 6, 2011 5:32:26 PM ModLoader readFromClassPath
FINER: Zip found.
Sep 6, 2011 5:32:27 PM ModLoader addMod
FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_FCBetterThanWolves 2.93" from mod_FCBetterThanWolves.class
Sep 6, 2011 5:32:27 PM ModLoader AddAllRenderers
FINE: Initialized

Help!
Zhil

Re: Game Freezes on "Simulating world for a bit" screen

Post by Zhil »

Did you put BTW in the JAR or in the /mods folder?

Also, there's a newer version of BTW, 2.93 is outdated now.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jeffkphoto

Post by jeffkphoto »

I used 7zip to open minecraft.jar in the /.minecraft/bin folder and then copied the BTW files into minecraft.jar

re: 2.93, I downloaded BTW from the minecraft forum via this link:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... pd-aug-31/

The zipfile was named BTWMod2-94.zip, should I be looking somewhere else for a newer version?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Hmm, it's probably OK then, FC probably forgot to change the version in the 2.94 update.

Well, since it's in the JAR, and it's found correctly, everything seems to be fine. It should work.

Can you confirm the exact versions of Modloader, Forge and BTW you're using?
jeffkphoto

Post by jeffkphoto »

They 'should' be current...when I reinstalled everything the second time I downloaded new copies of all three mods via the BTW post on the minecraft forums:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... pd-aug-31/

Forge was downloaded from:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/514 ... aft-forge/

the page says it is the 1.0.6 client

Modloader was downloaded from:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/754 ... k-updated/

the page lists it as: ModLoader Beta 1.7.3

as I posted previously, BTW appears to be version 2.94

**edit**

from the readme.txt inside the BTW zip:

FlowerChild's Better Than Wolves Mod V2.94
(Compatible with Minecrat Version 1.7.3)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Crap, no clue then. I wish I could help, but all signs point to it actually working fine, so I can't pinpoint the problem
jeffkphoto

Post by jeffkphoto »

Update:

After letting minecraft sit frozen on that screen for over 30 minutes, it is displaying an out of memory error.

What the heck does that mean?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

jeffkphoto wrote:Update:

After letting minecraft sit frozen on that screen for over 30 minutes, it is displaying an out of memory error.

What the heck does that mean?
It means there's a memory leak, which is really strange :/

Are you loading an old save or generating a new world? Try doing both and see if you get the same thing
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

What order are you installing the mods, it should be modloader -> Forge -> BTW.

Are you using Optifine or the HD patcher (both can cause problems).

Also have you previously customised your BTW config file? There are new options in there now and perhaps something is incompatible if you are using an old world.
jeffkphoto

Post by jeffkphoto »

Not using Optifine or HD patcher, nor have I made any changes to the BTW config file...however,

It seems to be a problem with my world, I am trying to play a world I created with an older version of BTW (2.93 I think). I AM able to create new worlds and play older worlds that I created in vanilla. Does this mean my world is ruined, or is there a way to fix it?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Can you still play it if you downgrade BTW back to 2.93?

Were any other mods used in the creation of that world? If so and you have inventory items from another mod that is no longer installed, you won't be able to open it without them. Either way you may be able to fix this with an external inventory editor. Back up your world, then it load up in the inventory editor and delete any mod items from your inventory (even the BTW ones if nothing else works), this may correct the problem. Also opening any chests in game that have items from a missing mod will likely crash Minecraft.
jeffkphoto

Post by jeffkphoto »

When I downgrade to 2.9, the game won't run at all...it freezes after the login screen. The world I am trying to get back to was created in vanilla minecraft, then I installed BTW and started building the various BTW mechanical items. I havn't used any other mods, or made any changes to the inventory with an outside editor. The game froze as I was playing the other day and when I couldn't get it to work I deleted my bin folder and started over with the newest version of Forge, modloader and BTW. The game is working properly with the newest version of BTW, but I have been unable to get back into the world I was playing.

PS Thanks for all your help so far!

**Update**

Using INVedit to delete everything in the inventory of the affected world did not change anything.

**update 2**

When I downgraded the first time I forgot to delete the meta-inf folder (facepalm). With the downgrade done CORRECTLY, I am back to the same problem, being stuck on the "Simulating world for a bit" screen.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Sorry if your world no longer works with the last version you were running on it, I can only think the save file might be corrupted.

There may be a repair tool you can use, I think MCEdit has this function though I've never tried it, and it might delete all of your BTW content from that world.

You could try exporting your base in MCEdit from your broken world and inserting it into a new world, but again this may not copy the BTW content. But if you use an inventory editor or TMI to put your mechanisms/hemp farm back in place you could be up and running again in a relatively short time.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

gftweek wrote:Sorry if your world no longer works with the last version you were running on it, I can only think the save file might be corrupted.

There may be a repair tool you can use, I think MCEdit has this function though I've never tried it, and it might delete all of your BTW content from that world.

You could try exporting your base in MCEdit from your broken world and inserting it into a new world, but again this may not copy the BTW content. But if you use an inventory editor or TMI to put your mechanisms/hemp farm back in place you could be up and running again in a relatively short time.

It will copy all the BTW stuff but the entities will be missing and you will need to reset all of the BTW content... so your pick really...