The Trio: BTW + BC + IC^2

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MagusUnion

Re: The Trio: BTW + BC + IC^2

Post by MagusUnion »

Miner7747 wrote:btw magus,will you be posting your next vid soon?
Probably tomorrow... I have it done, but I want to wait a bit before putting it out on youtube because..

1. May upset several people among the player base...

2. I don't want to develop a habit of rapidly 'spitting out' videos, because college does limit my time quite a bit (lol)...

But I am glad SpaceToad added the film to the API page.. :D
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MagusUnion wrote:
Miner7747 wrote:btw magus,will you be posting your next vid soon?
Probably tomorrow... I have it done, but I want to wait a bit before putting it out on youtube because..

1. May upset several people among the player base...

2. I don't want to develop a habit of rapidly 'spitting out' videos, because college does limit my time quite a bit (lol)...

But I am glad SpaceToad added the film to the API page.. :D
Care to elaborate?
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

It'll involve the use of custom recipes and blending the tech trees of different mods together into one uniformed system...

Needless to say, I'm sure there will be a few 'purists' upset by this, lol...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

MagusUnion wrote:It'll involve the use of custom recipes and blending the tech trees of different mods together into one uniformed system...

yeah,lol.
as long as your not doing a modpack,i doubt more than 10-15 "purists" will be angry. you just cant distribute anything.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i am quite interested how you will blend the tech trees of all three mods together, and have it workable from at least a technological stand point.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

walker_boh_65 wrote:i am quite interested how you will blend the tech trees of all three mods together, and have it workable from at least a technological stand point.
Well, to clarify, it has less to do with being able to merge tech trees, and more to do with how items and their usage/obtain-ability reflects each mod's design. It also shows how these items can also be combined in ways that, realistically, make sense, but respect game play balance in certain levels (early-mid-late) of play...
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MagusUnion wrote:It'll involve the use of custom recipes and blending the tech trees of different mods together into one uniformed system...

Are you editing the mod files or using the destructive hooking method?
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Brethern wrote: Are you editing the mod files or using the destructive hooking method?
No: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyhu9eXILk

(at least, I'm pretty sure I'm not)...
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i have always felt that the BTW IC^2 and BC needed to have a much better integration if they were to be apart of forge, not sure if what you did is it, but it is certainly closer to what i was looking for.
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

Nice vid, but i must say that i disagree with the dirt-dung and string=hemp recipes.
why? because it is possible to create automatic dung farms,and also automatic hemp farms,producing more
hemp and dung than you need. and btw,there exist flower/seed farms which use bone meal to make wildgrass/flowers which are instantly destroyed.

however,that steel recipe is a good idea,if your in a hurry you can make some without making nethercoal.
the hemp-plantclump is nice too.
although the dirt-dung recipe isn't balanced,there is no reason to not make some UU recipies for dung and hemp(and rubber tree saplings).

seriously,with dung to dirt,dung is too cheap,and gets rid of wolves use(btw,flowerchild obviously hates wolves,that's why he made this mod.he coded dung to be only dropped by wolves as an excuse to lock up wolves in dark spaces.:D)

so yeah,consider revising a few recipies(like maybe combing dung and grass BLOCKS from scrapboxes/UU to make 2 dung,should be balanced.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

walker_boh_65 wrote:i have always felt that the BTW IC^2 and BC needed to have a much better integration if they were to be apart of forge, not sure if what you did is it, but it is certainly closer to what i was looking for.
I'd like to think that I've more-or-less opened an avenue for better item integration. When my brother told me about this mod, I immediately though, "hmm.. so I can combine any item I want in the game with each other, without having to alter the mod(s) itself?"

It's a dramatic tool. So much so that whenever a new mod comes out, you don't have to wait for in-between coding to bind the two mods together. As long as you respect each other's game design, you can merge items together via recipes.

This way, modders aren't pressured into developing items a particular way, so long as they create enough items to cover each recipe path possible... (which in minecraft, is pretty endless...)
Last edited by MagusUnion on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

MagusUnion wrote:
I'd like to think that I've more-or-less opened an avenue for better item integration.
This you did, im looking into IC^2 right now to see how i can use this to integrate the two tech trees, i think you are the first to attempt to combined the two in any may more then placing them into your .jar and really thanks man for that.

EDIT: can you explain how you added a new block to the dictionary, or just how you added a recipe with a new block if it wasn't added to the dictionary.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Miner7747 wrote:Nice vid, but i must say that i disagree with the dirt-dung and string=hemp recipes.
why? because it is possible to create automatic dung farms,and also automatic hemp farms,producing more
hemp and dung than you need. and btw,there exist flower/seed farms which use bone meal to make wildgrass/flowers which are instantly destroyed.

however,that steel recipe is a good idea,if your in a hurry you can make some without making nethercoal.
although the dirt-dung recipe isn't balanced,there is no reason to not make some UU recipies for dung and hemp(and rubber tree saplings).

seriously,with dung to dirt,dung is too cheap,and gets rid of wolves use(btw,flowerchild obviously hates wolves,that's why he made this mod.he coded dung to be only dropped by wolves as an excuse to lock up wolves in dark spaces.:D)

so yeah,consider revising a few recipies(like maybe combing dung and grass BLOCKS from scrapboxes/UU to make 2 dung,should be balanced.
I'd rather not debate over the idea of what recipes you should/shouldn't have... I'd like to just leave that decision between the player and his game, as well as between developer and mod content.

Plus, tall grass, afaik, does not regenerate in the world after collection. Same with mushrooms, they have to constantly hunted for in order to renew this resource. Personally, if I was into modding, I would create an in-between block for dung before actually yielding it. Plus, what are you going to do with all that dung anyway? flowers? all those offer is dyes for lighting, which isn't that game breaking in and of itself...

But the point was to show that this new-found compatibility has more ways to work together than intended. Sure, it's easy to create 'broken' recipes with the mod, but at the same time, balanced recipes can give options to modded game play that let items work together easily... Like Buildcraft Oil, you can set a 'burn' time recipe for it, and allow it to be burned in generators for EU. That makes the item more useful in other fueling ways, without requiring other code lines to be set in...

It's these options that change game play/experience as a whole, and it's something I'd like MCForge users to consider....
Last edited by MagusUnion on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:
I'd like to think that I've more-or-less opened an avenue for better item integration.
This you did, im looking into IC^2 right now to see how i can use this to integrate the two tech trees, i think you are the first to attempt to combined the two in any may more then placing them into your .jar and really thanks man for that.

EDIT: can you explain how you added a new block to the dictionary, or just how you added a recipe with a new block if it wasn't added to the dictionary.
In the dictionary.txt, you will see a list of block/item ID's like this:
Spoiler
Show
####### B L O C K S #######

*stone = 1
*smoothstone = 1
*rock = 1
*grass = 2
Spoiler
Show
####### I T E M S #######

*ironShovel = 256
*shovelIron = 256
*shovelSteel = 256
*steelShovel = 256

*ironPickaxe = 257
*pickaxeIron = 257
Below these lines, you can add the item ID of modded blocks into the dictionary.txt, a few examples of modded items added:
Spoiler
Show
*Hemp = 400
*Plantball = 30224
Once adding these items, you can then create a recipe in a NEW.txt, which the dictionary will read from:
(note: I use the raw numbers just because I want to be sure the mod will read each item correctly...)
Spoiler
Show
shaped (400+400+400 / 400+none+400 / 400+400+400) > ( 30224,1 )
# Hemp Plant fuel
Restart Minecraft, and your recipe should be implemented!
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

MagusUnion wrote:
Miner7747 wrote:Nice vid, but i must say that i disagree with the dirt-dung and string=hemp recipes.

I'd rather not debate over the idea of what recipes you should/shouldn't have... I'd like to just leave that decision between the player and his game, as well as between developer and mod content.

Plus, tall grass, afaik, does not regenerate in the world after collection. Same with mushrooms, they have to constantly hunted for in order to renew this resource. Personally, if I was into modding, I would create an in-between block for dung before actually yielding it. Plus, what are you going to do with all that dung anyway? flowers? all those offer is dyes for lighting, which isn't that game breaking in an of itself...

But the point was to show that this new-found compatibility has more ways to work together than intended. Sure, it's easy to create 'broken' recipes with the mod, but at the same time, balanced recipes can give options to modded game play that let items work together easily... Like Buildcraft Oil, you can set a 'burn' time recipe for it, and allow it to be burned in generators for EU. That makes the item more useful in other fueling ways, without requiring other code lines to be set in...

It's these options that change game play/experience as a whole, and it's something I'd like MCForge users to consider....
well yes,it is your choice. everyone is free to do whatever they want with the recipies.
however: hint:using bonemeal on grass will generate tall grass and flowers. also,as of 1.6,mushrooms grow slowly,look up mushrooms on the minecraft wiki.

and i agree,just showing all this stuff promotes MCforge in it's own right,BTW wasn't even compatible with IC before minecraft forge,
and it permits way more mods to be used together. as flowerchild said in his interview,there is real no reason not to use it.
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

saw your new vid,nice! i completely agree with you on the jars.
btw,your hemp farm wont work: the light block needs to be 2 above the tilled soil. any higher will cause the hemp to never grow.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Miner7747 wrote:saw your new vid,nice! i completely agree with you on the jars.
btw,your hemp farm wont work: the light block needs to be 2 above the tilled soil. any higher will cause the hemp to never grow.
Gah! I was afraid of that... thanks for pointing that out..

Now I have to figure out a way to move the lights in such a way where their wires won't conflict with the piston line...

At least this will allow my 'trees' to catch up in growth for my planes/vehicle demonstration... lol
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MagusUnion wrote:

Now I have to figure out a way to move the lights in such a way where their wires won't conflict with the piston line...

At least this will allow my 'trees' to catch up in growth for my planes/vehicle demonstration... lol
An easy way to doing that is to craft a bunch of levers, and just stick them on an adjacent block. It's not the prettiest way of powering the lights, but it works.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Stormweaver wrote:
MagusUnion wrote:

An easy way to doing that is to craft a bunch of levers, and just stick them on an adjacent block. It's not the prettiest way of powering the lights, but it works.
Actually, after about 10 mins. of moving stuff around, I figured out I could get the wires for the lights to hang upside down on the wood blocks, and then link them to a torch via this way, which solves both the problem of having two separate wire lines, and not obstructing the pipes for hemp collection...

Still, I'm a little bummed out atm because when 1.8 comes out, I may have to start fresh again. Granted, I will probably try and keep that world on file, but I would like to integrate some of the 'random villages' with modding tech, just for lulz... But meh, I'll cross that bridge when I get there...
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

Glad you fixed it.

Btw,to make your job easier,the light blocks from BTW can be powered inderectly,so you can just run uninsulated redstone wire on the block above the light block.

Totaly agree with you on the 1.8 matter,thats why i'm not starting any worlds,i'm currently stuck between trying to add mods to this collection centered around the trio and playing adventure maps with my friend on my server.(I haz epic ram)

Really exited for 1.8 though,especialy for the huge Oceans.( easy passive/hostile mob system FTW)
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

Miner7747 wrote:Glad you fixed it.

Btw,to make your job easier,the light blocks from BTW can be powered inderectly,so you can just run uninsulated redstone wire on the block above the light block.

Totaly agree with you on the 1.8 matter,thats why i'm not starting any worlds,i'm currently stuck between trying to add mods to this collection centered around the trio and playing adventure maps with my friend on my server.(I haz epic ram)

Really exited for 1.8 though,especialy for the huge Oceans.( easy passive/hostile mob system FTW)
I am testing to see what works, and what's worth blending together for the time being... I wish I could add GeoCraft from an educational point of view, but I don't think it's going to happen, sadly...
Keyalha

Post by Keyalha »

First off i have been lurking around here for quite some time. Please bear with my English as its not my native language.

I actually really love BTW and also played IC1 for a very long time. My last world been IC² + BC + BTW my problem is that IC² as much as i love it it makes things like steel pretty much obsolete as the mining drill itsself is as far as i can see superior to steel, since latley i have a seperate world where i use BTW + Redpower and anotherone with IC² + Buildcraft + Redpower. When the techtree of BTW ever reaches a similar level than IC² i even might abdon IC² due to the fact that i like the smoother techtrees of BTW more than IC² which has a quite easy to maximize techtree. Every mod i said is good for itsself but combining them can get a bit of balancing problems for me personally but that may be personal taste and style of play.
Miner7747

Post by Miner7747 »

Keyalha wrote:First off i have been lurking around here for quite some time. Please bear with my English as its not my native language.

I actually really love BTW and also played IC1 for a very long time. My last world been IC² + BC + BTW my problem is that IC² as much as i love it it makes things like steel pretty much obsolete as the mining drill itsself is as far as i can see superior to steel, since latley i have a seperate world where i use BTW + Redpower and anotherone with IC² + Buildcraft + Redpower. When the techtree of BTW ever reaches a similar level than IC² i even might abdon IC² due to the fact that i like the smoother techtrees of BTW more than IC² which has a quite easy to maximize techtree. Every mod i said is good for itsself but combining them can get a bit of balancing problems for me personally but that may be personal taste and style of play.
English isnt my first language either,but i stopped mentioning it when i took some english courses,and its been fine since :)

Btw:the steel sword is better in all ways than the chainsaw,and the axe is equal.
So dont worry,steel is still useful.

Also,considering the amount of ages between BTW tech and IC2 tech,i doubt btw is going to reach that level
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Miner7747 wrote: Btw:the steel sword is better in all ways than the chainsaw,and the axe is equal.
So dont worry,steel is still useful.
Well in IC² the real sword replacement is supposed to be that nano sword thingy which is totally underpowered. I guess the IC² guys wanted to make it not as powerfull as the btw steel sword which one shots evertything, but by not going that little bit till the end they just made a sword that needs to be activated, and if it is, it consumes all its energy in a matter of a few minutes. The Chainsaw on the other hand two shots everything that matters as well and has next to no power consumption and can be powered by a bat pack. But I guess there is not much space for balance when a diamond sword already two shots creepers, skeletons and zombies. You either go for insta kill or not :).
Keyalha

Post by Keyalha »

Yeah i agree on the thing that there is not much room for balance, might also be me just having an iffy feeling IC² just feels out of place a bit for me when blended with btw where redpower per example imho fits quite well even when considreing it is sorta of electrical which is way out of steves capabilities in terms of what btw provides tech wise. So redpower also should feel out of place but it doesnt trigger that for me. As said IC² is for itsself imho a great mod i just feel the techtree progression is a not as good balanced than btw. Within the BTW enviroment i fell everything is where it should be same goes for IC² when you use each one individually but having lasers and electricity as newest tech together with steel and pottery which is BTW´s most restent tech just gives me an odd feeling. Altho i must admit im sorta picky when it comes to that alike things.