Equivalent Exchange Mod

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kwilt

Equivalent Exchange Mod

Post by Kwilt »

Earlier, I was browsing YouTube and happened to see that the boys over at Yogscast did another mod spotlight. Following suit from their alchemy mod, Lewis looked into the Equivalent Exchange Mod. I'll go ahead and stop blabbering and get to posting the video.
Spoiler
Show
What do you guys think about it?

To be honest, it really is extremely overpowered. There's no arguing that. But I think it'd be a fun mod to try and make a world out of. See how quickly you can get up to the Philosopher's Stone, and run it from there.

EDIT: Part two is out, in case you guys want to see more extremely overpowered stuff in action.
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Kwilt on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
mr.creeper

Re: Equivalent Exchange Mod

Post by mr.creeper »

I'll agree with you there.

A while ago when i was scouring MInecraft Forums i found that mod. You could turn cobblestone into diamonds. You could technically automate this with buildcraft and BTW.

But then again, it has got a pretty interesting feature in that you can revert anything back to it's original form. but that could also be overpowered. So i don't know.. one part of me says it's useful and another says it's overpowered.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Rather than putting myself through the torture of listening to one of their videos, when to the thread at MCF.

The mod idea fits into the minecraft theme with experimenting and stuff I'm just not sure if it's done a good way.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Definitely overpowered, I'll agree with both of you there. Granted, I haven't played legit in ages and I'd love the ability to clear whole areas cleanly without having to use MC edit, which I always have trouble with.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I watched it earlier. Overpowered is definitely the word. Whenever I play a game where I start getting way more resources than I can use I quickly start to lose interest. There's no reward vs. investment here. I could set up (much better) cobblestone generator that could churn out several thousand blocks an hour within a few minecraft days. Then, I never have to work again. I have an endless supply of materials. When a game has powerful tools and weapons, they should be needed for large challenges and powerful foes. I don't see that need here.

I suppose a different person than myself could use the leveling tools, though I usually like to work with the terrain for my epic things. When I do clear something, I find a zen like calm in the motions it takes. I feel more satisfied than if I just nuked the land. Or I use concrete. Which is easy and efficient.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Overpowered, indeed. Might be fun for a few days, trying that in a new world, but I'm sure it gets boring within a week. It makes everything way to easy :/
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Honestly, while I was watching the video, I had map makers in mind. This is really one of the better tools for them. You can make perfect rooms and such, and it can have those little inconsistencies without fiddling with MCedit.

Also, from a newbie perspective, this might be the perfect mod. It all really hinges on redstone, if you think about it, and when you first start playing Minecraft, redstone is godsend.

Then you play for three months, and you can find redstone in about five minutes if you try hard enough. :P

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I like the idea of a magic chest that converts and sorts all the random crap I cba sorting into useful things...

blatantly OP otherwise.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

It sounds awesome, but way too OP. I have chests upon chests of cobble, enough to get about a stack or two of diamond, easily. Once you get just one of the items (like that catalyst thing) then everything else just gets easier.
IGN: Camerinthus
splunker1

Post by splunker1 »

I feel as if this is a little over_powered, but it is a quite a bit useful. The only thing that I do see overpowered is turning dirt and cobble into diamonds, but some of the tools that take hundreds of diamonds doesn't seem to over-powered.
Or, maybe not...
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

splunker1 wrote:I feel as if this is a little over_powered, but it is a quite a bit useful. The only thing that I do see overpowered is turning dirt and cobble into diamonds, but some of the tools that take hundreds of diamonds doesn't seem to over-powered.
I find it funny that you spelled overpowered 3 different ways in that post.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I've looked at that mod before (when it joined Forge) and OP is definitely the right world. Just having something be expensive in terms of resources isn't enough IMO, especially if you can use renewables like cobblestone. You always end up with a ton of blocks littering your chests after you've been playing a world for some time so even if you'll need tens of thousands of cobblestone for the tools, it's not that much of a problem with generators and time. I much prefer the route that mods like BTW and IC are taking where the cost comes from the fact that you need to make elaborate systems for your blocks to work and have the next steps be dependent on previous tiers.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Urian wrote:Even if you'll need tens of thousands of cobblestone for the tools, it's not that much of a problem with generators and time.
Actually, once the cost gets high enough, it would be much quicker to find the material yourself. Tens of thousands of cobblestone would take much longer to get than enough diamond for a tool
splunker1

Post by splunker1 »

Camerinthus wrote:
splunker1 wrote:I feel as if this is a little over_powered, but it is a quite a bit useful. The only thing that I do see overpowered is turning dirt and cobble into diamonds, but some of the tools that take hundreds of diamonds doesn't seem to over-powered.

Well, if you can't remember how to spell it, just spell it all the ways you can think of. :P I do realize that over_powered probably wasn't correct, even though I think that was an accident.
Or, maybe not...
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

splunker1 wrote:
Camerinthus wrote:

Well, if you can't remember how to spell it, just spell it all the ways you can think of. :P I do realize that over_powered probably wasn't correct, even though I think that was an accident.
That is very true! :D

But yeah, the thing I would use the most in this mod if I ever download it (which I probably won't) would be the dark matter tools, to level terrain quickly for building stuff.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Cobblestone generator -> get every item in the game.

That's not even fun guys.
M!C

Post by M!C »

This mod would be of no use to me ... I simply don't have any excess dirt/cobblestone/gravel/whatever ... For me it's part of the fun to have projects/plans all over the place consuming every last bit of all of the above.
splunker1

Post by splunker1 »

Well, part 2 came out of the yogscast's look at equivalent exchange mod, and, like wtf? A diamond duplicating machine? Way overpowered... (Spelled it right. HA)
Or, maybe not...
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

splunker1 wrote:Well, part 2 came out of the yogscast's look at equivalent exchange mod, and, like wtf? A diamond duplicating machine? Way overpowered... (Spelled it right. HA)
I dunno if you can call it overpowered. I mean, by then you've already made or found over 1200 diamonds. To me it sounds more worthless than overpowered. :P

Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

From what I've seen between the Yogscast's video and what's on their wiki, it's insane. It looks like you can get anything you want from easily farmable items, if you're patient enough, including the unobtainable items such as webs and ice.

In the end, something that looks like it could be fun, but not something I would install.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
mr.creeper

Post by mr.creeper »

KWilt wrote:
splunker1 wrote:Well, part 2 came out of the yogscast's look at equivalent exchange mod, and, like wtf? A diamond duplicating machine? Way overpowered... (Spelled it right. HA)
I dunno if you can call it overpowered. I mean, by then you've already made or found over 1200 diamonds. To me it sounds more worthless than overpowered. :P
yeah but diamonds can turn into every item in the game at mass.
battle1804

Post by battle1804 »

hey doe anyone know how to charge items. i'm new to this mod so i need some help. thnx.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Agreed. I'd be far more likely to use it to turn the diamonds I find into 16 iron each. That's really the only actual use I could see for it. For everything else, there's creative mode.
Better is the enemy of Good
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

I haven't watched those vids but have played with Equivalent exchange and have found it to be fairly well balanced. There are few parts of the mod that are a bit over powered or need adjusting, like the aggregators. But apart from that it is one of the more complete mods with an actual endgame.

While the tools do appear to be overpowered they do require a power source to use, in this case glow stone dust. Which you burn through quite quickly using the destruction catalyst (mines 3x3 tunnels), meaning a lot of trips to the nether to collect glowstone. However, you can also make glowstone with an aggregator. Which I think is too overpowered, once you have one you can quickly build more as they don't really require resources to run, leaving you with an endless supply of glowstone for very little effort.

However this is a sandbox game so you can pick and choose which parts of the game you want to use. For me it will probably end up using a process to get various ores, as I get bored of mining fairly quickly. I was thinking of setting up an operation that goes something like this, sugar cane -> sugar -> glow stone dust -> glowstone blocks -> Iron ore. Turning passive mob drops into aggressive mob drops can be handy if you play on peaceful.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I may be thick about this but what's the point of the glowstone aggregator? My last map I nearly filled two large chests with glowstone dust from low hanging formations while trying to find a bed of souls sand. I left behind at least another large chest worth of glowstone formations in place not counting the higher formations that would require platforming up to or exploring in a different direction.
Better is the enemy of Good