Crucible too OP

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Kemek

Crucible too OP

Post by Kemek »

Ok, so I came to conclusion, that whole game revolves around iron and food. You are running out of it or need large amount of it on the spot. I just made Crucible and was struck. Wiki shows resmelting receipts with items with no durability loss so I thought that used tool or armor pieces would give the percentage of usage left in ingots and nuggets rounded down. For example 1/3 of Iron Pickaxe left, 1 iron ingot output in Crucible. I didn't want to resmelt used Flint and Steel, because I thought it would be sucked by Crucible. I found coincidentally Zombie with full iron armor, that dropped me it, when I was in respawn spot, it had: about 5%-10% durability left in Helm, Leggings, Boots and about 60% in Chestplate. I was super happy that I would get at least 6 ingots out of it. It turned out it was 24 ingots for free, just like that.
I think it's extremely overpowered, because it makes mining iron irrevalent.

Here's my list of things that require food or iron going from making crucible and prior:

Blaze rods
Finding Nether Fortress
Digging Diamond and making Diamond Pickaxe (requires Iron Pickaxe and Iron for Diamond Pickaxe, also all three above require iron armor so I suddenly don't die and Ham and Eggs, so that I have relatively free inventory and fast eating rate)
Making Pig Farm (requires Buckets for milk to make chocolate, at least a few of them so I don't spend entire day with cows)
Saw (requires Iron)
Milling Hemp (requires food)
Cauldron (requires Iron)
Sheers to cut leather for cheaper armor and later belts (requires Iron)
Hoe for Chicken Farm and later Hemp (requires Iron)

Also everytime I die I need food until I get back to base with Compass. And I need iron for Sheers, Pickaxe and Compass.

And suddenly when I get Crucible that all is gone, all that I ever need now is food. I was intentionally saving my Iron Pickaxe and Sword so when I resmelt it, I'll get most of it. I like using Stone Pickaxes, they give feeling of finity. I get 20 of them and go into cave. While Iron Pickaxe is like luxury and emergency Pickaxe of using it or dieing, while for offensive purposes I use mostly Stone Axes.
In my mind damage done to a tool meant that there is some material that is not good for usage anymore and Crucible only make use of the rest. I also like to idea that when you go into cave, you need, for example, Iron armor which will be damaged while you will be getting more Iron.

That gives feeling of vanilla, where you can break one grass, plant tree in front your house, fence it, make wooden hoe, make farmland inside your house and survive forever. In BTW survival requires much more effort. I wanted to make Refined Pickaxe so that it would be me with most efficient Pickaxe, but now all Pickaxes from Iron and above are equally efficient, can work indefinitely and I don't need Soulforged Steel at all.

Those are my observations, thank you.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Crucible too OP

Post by FlowerChild »

You lost me at the subject line when typing "overpowered" was too much trouble :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Crucible too OP

Post by FlowerChild »

In all seriousness though, my pet peeves about some abbreviations aside (I operate under the theory that if it's being said so often that someone needs to abbreviate "overpowered" then the speaker likely says it way too much) this is a subject that's been covered many times.

A search on these forums or over on the BTW thread on the Minecraft forums will provide some pretty extensive discussions on this particular point.