Netting

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Miton2011

Netting

Post by Miton2011 »

This net would be able to be placed like blocks and have a sort of spider-web effect except mobs couldn't fall through. My reasons/ideas for this:

-would catch mobs, but let items pass through.
-(possibly) wouldn't burn
- would be useful for burn traps for lighting mobs on fire and having a water stream below
-could also be used as another possible filter for hoppers
My mother told me that if I became a soldier, I would become a General. If I became a musician, I would be a rock star. Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso.

-Picasso
Stormweaver

Re: Netting

Post by Stormweaver »

beyond the filter bit, carefully placed mouldings under a periodic water stream do exactly the same thing.

...and I'm having trouble coming up with a reason I'd need to do that anytime soon.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Miton2011

Post by Miton2011 »

Stormweaver wrote:beyond the filter bit, carefully placed mouldings under a periodic water stream do exactly the same thing.

...and I'm having trouble coming up with a reason I'd need to do that anytime soon.
The thing is, with moulding, there is a very small chance that an item will get hung up on them. I want absolutely zero chance of that happening.
My mother told me that if I became a soldier, I would become a General. If I became a musician, I would be a rock star. Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso.

-Picasso
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Miton2011 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:beyond the filter bit, carefully placed mouldings under a periodic water stream do exactly the same thing.

The thing is, with moulding, there is a very small chance that an item will get hung up on them. I want absolutely zero chance of that happening.
hence periodically having water flow over it to push items through the gaps. unless you also want absolutely zero chance of a mob temporarily being relived of burning? in which case a timed airlock with pistons would do it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

A lava blade will still kill mobs floating in water and items can just continue on the stream down where mobs can't fit. Or you can use saws which let items pass through, but not mobs.
Miton2011

Post by Miton2011 »

*headdesk* wow... Sorry I posted this altogether. Like you people said, I could just have horizontal saws that mobs couldn't just go under. Now the challenge of figuring out how to reinstall BTW... Either that or just stick to my old design.

This should go in Tech Suport, but any reason it wouldn't work? I should probably just try re-downloading forge and the like... Right?
And with each new update of BTW, does it require a new version of forge or something?

-Picasso
M!C

Post by M!C »

gftweek wrote:A lava blade will still kill mobs floating in water and items can just continue on the stream down where mobs can't fit. Or you can use saws which let items pass through, but not mobs.
My lava blade regularly fails me ... at first it was only chickens but than even wolves managed to get through. At least my poo factory has grown ever since.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

M!C wrote:
gftweek wrote:A lava blade will still kill mobs floating in water and items can just continue on the stream down where mobs can't fit. Or you can use saws which let items pass through, but not mobs.
My lava blade regularly fails me ... at first it was only chickens but than even wolves managed to get through. At least my poo factory has grown ever since.
Yeah, chickens and wolves are only 1 block tall so slide right underneath (and sometimes pigs), you need a cactus backup, or just replace the lava with four saws, then nothing will get through.
M!C

Post by M!C »

gftweek wrote:
M!C wrote:
Yeah, chickens and wolves are only 1 block tall so slide right underneath (and sometimes pigs), you need a cactus backup, or just replace the lava with four saws, then nothing will get through.
Yes, you're right. However with one of the recent vMC updates (1.6 or 1.7 don't know) the amount of chickens reduced to a 10th of what used to be there and I like the wolves coming through (who doesn't need companion cubes?) so since I've got no space to build something to sort out chicken from wolves (to close to bedrock) I'll leave it as is and kill the chicken by hand ...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

M!C wrote:Yes, you're right. However with one of the recent vMC updates (1.6 or 1.7 don't know) the amount of chickens reduced to a 10th of what used to be there and I like the wolves coming through (who doesn't need companion cubes?) so since I've got no space to build something to sort out chicken from wolves (to close to bedrock) I'll leave it as is and kill the chicken by hand ...
If it's a fall trap, you can suspend a block of water over some signs in the drop shaft, everything will fall through but the chickens, and they will follow the water stream to a saw or cactus or whatever, or you can use still water and collect the eggs they drop.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Or you can just not use a lava blade and use saws instead.
Spy chickens are a problem of the past :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=881