Better than Horses (No Alligators please)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Blazara

Re: Better than Horses (No Alligators please)

Post by Blazara »

I know the conversation has moved on somewhat but when HCH came up in conversation here:

The choice between spending time and resources on nursing your equine pal back to health in order to save it's life and make it useful once again.. and butchering the walking beef supplement would be beautifully Better Than Wolves-y. I think it should be possible to nurse your horse back to working order (so long as you haven't literally driven it to death's door) but it should be incredibly expensive to do so. The size of the animal might also make a high / filling meat drop viable; make the player think whether they want a noble steed or a meaty meal.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Man, I gotta say I like the new model and textures you guys made! It actually looks like it should be in minecraft, as opposed to our old alligator in the room.

I'd definitely be happy to give a hand with coding, if you guys don't have too many coders already.
FlowerChild wrote:Hmmm...not sure, but I haven't quite gotten to the point of banning bronies on sight anyways. I just mock them relentlessly :)
Well drat, I better stop brushing my pony dolls around you guys :)
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Alright, allow me to provide a blanket answer to any questions comparing vanilla Horses to Better Than Horses.

1. Take everything you know about vanilla alligators.
2. Burn it all.
3. Upon these ashes, let there descend from the sky something entirely new.

To put it another way: To my knowledge, the capabilities and features of vanilla Horses were not included in the design process in any form.

Edit: Scratch that, I believe one of the more recently added features was inspired by a bug concerning vanilla horses. :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Anyone is welcome to hop on the git and assist with the coding. Feel free to join the #btwaddon irc channel as well.

And just as a bit of preview because DNoved is a rockstar...
+ else if (aPlayer.getHeldItem() != null && aPlayer.getHeldItem().itemID == Item.shears.itemID && getIsMale() && !this.getIsGeld())
Blazara wrote:I know the conversation has moved on somewhat but when HCH came up in conversation here:

The choice between spending time and resources on nursing your equine pal back to health in order to save it's life and make it useful once again.. and butchering the walking beef supplement would be beautifully Better Than Wolves-y. I think it should be possible to nurse your horse back to working order (so long as you haven't literally driven it to death's door) but it should be incredibly expensive to do so. The size of the animal might also make a high / filling meat drop viable; make the player think whether they want a noble steed or a meaty meal.
Come on, do you really think I would have left that out of the design doc at the very start?
Better is the enemy of Good
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

DaveYanakov wrote: And just as a bit of preview because DNoved is a rockstar...
+ else if (aPlayer.getHeldItem() != null && aPlayer.getHeldItem().itemID == Item.shears.itemID && getIsMale() && !this.getIsGeld())
You're fucking kidding me....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

lol, I love it, is it part of the taming process? I gotta see that in action...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gears

Post by Gears »

DaveYanakov wrote:Anyone is welcome to hop on the git and assist with the coding. Feel free to join the #btwaddon irc channel as well.

And just as a bit of preview because DNoved is a rockstar...
Oh god... Oh fucking god... This preview truly disgusts me... I like it.

Anyways, I'll see what I can do on the pack AI and bucking.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

As if I wasn't Checking this thread for a release enough already... :)

Cant wait to get ahold of this. And those :)
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wait wait... I know nothing of coding.. but I see player holding shears.. and male horse. Are we neutering horses? .. I like it and approve whole heartedly.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

DaveYanakov wrote:getIsMale()
Is this addon adding the first ever situation of entity gender to Minecraft?
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Vexalor wrote:Is this addon adding the first ever situation of entity gender to Minecraft?
No, several mods have done it in the past. However, horses will indeed likely have gender, though gender in this sense doesn't necessarily mean gender in the sense of real life. Think of it more like having two different varieties of horses.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

DNoved1 wrote:No, several mods have done it in the past. However, horses will indeed likely have gender, though gender in this sense doesn't necessarily mean gender in the sense of real life. Think of it more like having two different varieties of horses.
I see, interesting; can't wait to see this when it comes out. I wasn't necessarily including other mods in that observation, though, given that there seems to be a mod for just about everything you can think of these days... movies, other games, "female companions," etc. :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The horses are not gendered just to have gender. It was simply the simplest and most intuitive way to encourage large scale, complex builds without requiring them of the player or dictating the form of them. It also allows for us to limit breeding very sharply unless the player designs something to increase the efficiency that is more than a wheat farm spitting out bundles of grain on a five minute timer.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

They can't just be hermaphrodites like the cows?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If you wanted to just bang em into a little fenced in area and turn two of them into fifty with nothing but a pile of wheat, sure. Why would we want to do that? Where would the emotional investment of raising and training your mount come from if you got it for free? Where would the moral crisis of splitting poor Trigger's skull with an axe to turn him into glue and sandwiches after you foolishly rode him off a cliff come from if all it cost you was ten minutes of going off and doing something else while your horse farm churned out three more to take his place?

Horses are not going to be a mob. They are going to be an organic build. The option to board them up and make a slightly more efficient meats and leather factory will be there as well if that's all you care about but I have a feeling that sort of player isn't going to be the type to go out of their way to install this add on. We're not making a feature for every BTW or every vanilla player here. This is for the players who were really looking forward to horses and were disappointed by what Mojang decided to go with.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

^ ....I am so hyped for this.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Gears

Post by Gears »

In regards to horse model, can the guy who made the model translate the body of the horse one unit up and set the body's rotation point by the front legs? The legs are showing some texture clipping with the body, and for the bucking animation it will be one hell of a lot easier on everyone involved if the body pivots at the front legs.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

Can we ask for the status of this insanely anticipated mod? I don't mean to seem impatient but I'm sure i'm not the only one sitting on the edge of my seat :)

I cannot wait to get ahold of what you all come up with.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

There hasn't been a committ for awhile, so I may build and release an alpha release for the community to test for bugs and stuff. I will ask the current devs. But remember, I personally would say it is still alpha.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

I would greatly appreciate that and will report any bugs I find.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Mostly we're waiting until things can be made tidy and easy to install. As it stands you need to have the current versions of MCP and Python installed to patch manually. Something more streamlined for the purposes of a bug test release would be preferred.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Mostly we're waiting until things can be made tidy and easy to install. As it stands you need to have the current versions of MCP and Python installed to patch manually. Something more streamlined for the purposes of a bug test release would be preferred.
Sigh...my bad there. Sorry guys, trying to push hard to finalize BTW, and keep pushing back the API bits as a result.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Damn it, I was trying to word that post to eliminate that sentiment.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

FC, seriously don't sweat it. We can distribute, it just requires modifying a vanilla base class (any of them as far as I can tell, and there's plenty to choose from). Also, horses aren't all that close to being ready to release, sure they work and everything, but many of the features designed for them and all of the balancing remains to be done. I'll probably be able to put some work into that this week, so we can hopefully release an alpha with at least some amount of polish (and balancing).
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Part of that balancing is going to involve watching how other people play it. I know how I play and what I'd like to see as a reaction to that playstyle but I recognize that it's not a significant sample size.