Progression in all direction

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RHCPepperfan

Progression in all direction

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Hi there.

As far as I know, the BTW mod is an extension to Minecraft which encourages progression without being 'overpowerd' by making it too easy. Infact, its quite hard get a big mechanical project.
The following directions can be extended and made easier for yourself in vanilla minecraft after some work:

- Moving (Minecarts, stairs, )
- Mobtraps&Defending (Redstone, dispensers, pistons etc)
- Attacking (Armor, bow&arrow, swords)
- Making cool things (blocks)

The BTW mod extents this:
- Moving (Elevators, rope)
- Mobtraps&Defending (Mechanical power, saw, turntable, hopper)
- Cooking (Cauldron, nethercoal, hibachi)
- Light (Lightblock)
- Making cool things (Art deco wooden things)
- Farming (Mill stone)
- Crafting (Saw)

And way more as you all know.

What both Minecraft and BTW do not cover (yet) however, are improving in mining or getting wood. The only things that do make it easier are pickaxes, axes and TNT. All in all I like to see an extension on both these things in the BTW mod.

What are your thoughts?
Gilberreke

Re: Progression in all direction

Post by Gilberreke »

Getting wood is already improved. You can make automatic wood farms with the saws. Search the forum for "tree farm".

Steel provides new mining tools which speed up mining A LOT, since you can actually make steel easier than diamond once it's set up.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

See the automatic tree farm discussion thread for my thoughts on improvements in wood gathering.

As for mining...steel kinda makes it a non-issue. Though if you really like automation, there's a thread with an automated mining machine here somewhere, and that was *really* awesome. The short of it is that BTW seeks to improve things using multi-block solutions. There is very little atm that cannot be automated, it's just some things take a whole lot more work than others.

Ack, got ninja'd. damn ninjas.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Stormweaver wrote:See the automatic tree farm discussion thread for my thoughts on improvements in wood gathering.

As for mining...steel kinda makes it a non-issue. Though if you really like automation, there's a thread with an automated mining machine here somewhere, and that was *really* awesome. The short of it is that BTW seeks to improve things using multi-block solutions. There is very little atm that cannot be automated, it's just some things take a whole lot more work than others.

The mining automation, while absolutly awsome, is totally impractical. The time it takes to set up the construction and the time it takes it to actually mine it, are equal to you doing 4 holes of the same size, even more if you have acess to steel.
Steel is the best imoprovement so far and I doubt we will see any major improvment in mining anytime soon.

Hmm... when did they invent the first mining drill ? I have to check that out on wikipedia.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Haidaes wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:See the automatic tree farm discussion thread for my thoughts on improvements in wood gathering.

The mining automation, while absolutly awsome, is totally impractical. The time it takes to set up the construction and the time it takes it to actually mine it, are equal to you doing 4 holes of the same size, even more if you have acess to steel.
I can cut an entire forest down in the time it takes to build an automated tree farm. Doesn't devalue the tree farm in any way though >.>

All things said though, I've noticed quite a lot of things randomly exploding in FC's most recent update. It may be hinting at an efficient form of blast mining somewhere down the line, which while not automated, *would* be an interesting improvement.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Stormweaver wrote:
Haidaes wrote:

I can cut an entire forest down in the time it takes to build an automated tree farm. Doesn't devalue the tree farm in any way though >.>

All things said though, I've noticed quite a lot of things randomly exploding in FC's most recent update. It may be hinting at an efficient form of blast mining somewhere down the line, which while not automated, *would* be an interesting improvement.
Most of those explosions are based off people making "Ooopsies" testing the updates. The thing about automation is that, when you can automate something instead of having to do the physical work yourself, you open up more possibilities and doors. The ammount of work put into an automated farm/factory of any sort is worth it in the long run if you have a constant influx of needed supplies for other projects.

The thing about BTW is that it requires you to "Work" hard to get to the automation point and to actually understand mechanical power and how to harness it, direct it and control it.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Look at the airoplane mod. Its really hard to get all the parts together for one plane. I'm not saying thats the direction BTW should go, but it gives you an idea on how I think Better Than Wolves CAN go to massive projects that can, for example, make a drill.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Quite a bit of our knowledge as a species has come from those "oopsie" moments. If I was experimenting with a substance for fuel and determined that it exploded like a mother when I did something, I would find a way to exploit that behavior very quickly. If hellfire could be used as a farmable TNT substitute with more power, then we could use it for strip mining pretty effectively. The only question is one of automation. And as regards steel making mining obsolete, my current project requires a floating foundation of stone of over a quarter of a million blocks. There is just no way I could mine that much cobblestone and then cook it, even with steel. It is, however, quite manageable with a block dispenser, piston, and concrete machine (similar to what Battosay did, but slightly more inefficient since I made it before I could benefit from his wisdom, and I don't have massive numbers of BDs :) ). The long and short of it is, even if mining any block takes one hit, that would only make larger projects more feasible, but would still require the mundanity of mining. I for one would applaud any more entertaining or effective method of mining.

P.S. And yes, I am only creating enough stone to be used to hold in the concrete. It still takes a huge amount of stone.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Damion Rayne wrote:Most of those explosions are based off people making "Ooopsies" testing the updates. The thing about automation is that, when you can automate something instead of having to do the physical work yourself, you open up more possibilities and doors. The ammount of work put into an automated farm/factory of any sort is worth it in the long run if you have a constant influx of needed supplies for other projects.

The thing about BTW is that it requires you to "Work" hard to get to the automation point and to actually understand mechanical power and how to harness it, direct it and control it.
Lets face it though; if in real life you got hold of the very substances of hell and while testing to see what they could do they exploded (and you survive), would your thoughts be:
a) Why does it keep exploding *cry*
b) I wonder how I can use this to blow things that are not me to pieces?

I get where you're coming from and all, but while an explosion might not be Steve's desired result from his testing, it *is* a result. And results are always useful.