Anyone else having issues with 1.5 crafting?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Mr_Hosed

Anyone else having issues with 1.5 crafting?

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Ever since 1.5, I've noticed crafting, and general inventory management has weird delays and behavior. Anyone else notice this and/or have a fix?

Crafting always was a gimmick feature in Minecraft. These bandaids they keep adding doesn't seem to be helping things.
ExpHP

Re: Anyone else having issues with 1.5 crafting?

Post by ExpHP »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Ever since 1.5, I've noticed crafting, and general inventory management has weird delays and behavior. Anyone else notice this and/or have a fix?

Crafting always was a gimmick feature in Minecraft. These bandaids they keep adding doesn't seem to be helping things.
The weird delays and otherwise generally "off" feel is likely a side-effect of the new inventory features Mojang added in 1.5. You can click-and-drag to distribute items between slots. I don't know how they managed to mess this feature up this bad, though; I can only imagine they rewrote a large portion of related stuff in the process.

I may look more closely into it, because it's bugging the hell out of me too, but as of now, I know of no easy solution.
Uristqwerty

Post by Uristqwerty »

I noticed that it pauses for a fraction of a second, in case you are trying to double-click, and that splitting stacks doesn't seem to start until you have dragged over a second slot. (Might be remembering wrong, I wasn't paying that much attention to it)

But the added stuff is convenient enough that I don't mind it.
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

Yeah, I hate this 1.5 change, I usually like to do a lot of fast clicks, but it interprets them completely differently now. They really messed up the timing on this nice little "feature", I constantly have to redistribute things in the table because of it.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

o.O I havn't noticed any changes to my crafting. Did fc remove this from the BTW version of stuff? :o
Rawr :D
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Nope. It's still there in BTW as well.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

...and sucks mightily. They really did a horrible job of it, and the number of miss-clicks that results is retarded.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

I find that it actually is pretty convenient, using it just requires a great level of skill to get the speed and clicking precision right. However... yeah... once in a while, when I need something crafted quickly, it can get really annoying.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:I find that it actually is pretty convenient, using it just requires a great level of skill to get the speed and clicking precision right. However... yeah... once in a while, when I need something crafted quickly, it can get really annoying.
Skill should never be a factor in GUI operation, and it really doesn't need to be in this case. It's just poorly implemented/designed.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I actually really appreciate the crafting modifications they made. L-Click and drag makes it easy for me to quickly craft lots of picks while R-click and drag makes crafting things like furnaces quick and easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I actually really appreciate the crafting modifications they made. L-Click and drag makes it easy for me to quickly craft lots of picks while R-click and drag makes crafting things like furnaces quick and easy.
I'm not arguing against the new features being convenient. I use them myself. They just botched the implementation leading to frequent miss-clicks in general crafting, which to me, is pure amateur.

People seem to be having a "take the good with the bad" attitude towards this, but the thing is the bad was entirely unnecessary and was just due to shoddy implementation.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to clarify: as far as I can tell, the cursor goes into drag mode soon as the button is depressed. What this means is that if you're moving your cursor around rapidly, like I tend to, and clicking on various squares with ingredients, by the time the game registers that you have released the mouse button, the cursor may already be in another square, so it interprets your intended click as a drag.

This is interface 101 crap. You need one of two things (perhaps both), either a timer on the clicks, so a drag doesn't register before a fraction of a second to give the mouse button a chance to be released, or the hot-zones on the individual crafting squares need to basically shrink when determining if a drag is being initiated so it doesn't get triggered accidentally when you're clicking close to the edges of squares. Basically, you need safeties in place to ensure that a drag is being deliberately initiated and isn't just an erroneous interpretation of the user's actions.

The long and the short is that when implementing a feature like that, you have to take the time to make sure it doesn't result in the user making unnecessary errors while manipulating it. If you pay close attention to how something like windows works, you'll notice they go to great pains to avoid situations like that, and there are interface standards that most serious designers try to adhere to in order to prevent crap like this from happening.

What we have with Mojang's new UI features is pure amateur. It's blatantly obvious they put no time or effort into usability or testing their own UI whatsoever.

Basically, in order to get the results I want, I have to now deliberately slow myself down, make sure I click towards the center of the squares, and make sure I release before beginning to move the mouse again. Otherwise, I'd say it fucks up about 25% of the time given I navigate those menus at high speed otherwise. That's pure rubbish.