Peaceful BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CheGiuAn

Re: Peaceful BTW

Post by CheGiuAn »

Already installed Mo' Creatures :)
Thx very much for the hint :)
(I only hate zombies and creepers)
thx so so much
(and yeah, for a caveman, the cave should be the safe point)

EDIT:
I installed the modpack, and enabled the spawn part.
Now where I can set it's options?
I want creepers & zombies to not spawn at all, and spider & skeleton only on grass.
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
cataline

Post by cataline »

Damion Rayne wrote:It's called "Survival Single Player" for a reason. Minecraft's survival mode was designed from word go to take the sandbox and put in a reason for you to want to build "Shelter" to horde all of your things in. With out this desire or need to run from monsters at night, or do like some of us do and armor up and go looking for a fight at night, what point is there really to build an epic base? I might switch between peaceful and normal on occasion, but only to work on a large build project I don't really want interfered with. But then again isn't that the true fun of it?

"I need to build an epic base to defend all of my things from the baddies!"

I mean, how many "sandbox" games do something like this? I agree with who ever stated that it was a mistake to include a peaceful setting. If you want that freedom to create un-hindered, you might want to play creative mode.

-DR

If only it were true that you had to build an epic base in order to defend your things from the baddies, I'd agree with you and play on the hardest mode pretty much all the time! :)

Unfortunately, given that 4 earth walls, a simple door and judicious lighting will keep the baddies away from my stuff the monsters feel like more of a minor aggravation rather than a threat, and their AI is so simple I don't even bother with armour when I go out to harvest mobs for bits. I tend to mostly play on peaceful simply to be able to build and experiment with BTW's fantastic contraptions without the hassle of the occasional unfortunate spawn...

Hopefully in the future the aggressive mobs will get an upgrade and become much more of a threat than an inconvenience. I know there is one mod (I forget the name) which tries to implement this (having zombies try to burrow in to your buildings, for example) but I couldn't get it to work with BTW, and I'd much rather have BTW :)
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

cataline wrote:
If only it were true that you had to build an epic base in order to defend your things from the baddies, I'd agree with you and play on the hardest mode pretty much all the time! :)

Unfortunately, given that 4 earth walls, a simple door and judicious lighting will keep the baddies away from my stuff the monsters feel like more of a minor aggravation rather than a threat, and their AI is so simple I don't even bother with armour when I go out to harvest mobs for bits. I tend to mostly play on peaceful simply to be able to build and experiment with BTW's fantastic contraptions without the hassle of the occasional unfortunate spawn...

Hopefully in the future the aggressive mobs will get an upgrade and become much more of a threat than an inconvenience. I know there is one mod (I forget the name) which tries to implement this (having zombies try to burrow in to your buildings, for example) but I couldn't get it to work with BTW, and I'd much rather have BTW :)
Try installing Nightmare mode from this page.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/817 ... -moveplus/

That will make you need a more effective base.

From the mod's info:

Fully configurable feature list:
Change the max spawn amounts for hostiles, animals, or water creatures.
Monsters, except creepers, can attack other animals.
Monsters can be immune to fire.
Monsters can spread fire between eachother.
Monsters can hurl each other upwards to get higher when close together.
Monsters have up to an unlimited scan range for targeting you. - Moved to Zombie Awareness
Creepers can auto explode if stuck.
Regular damage cooldown can be disabled, this one gives the player an advantage, spam arrows and with at everything!
Monsters can ignore line of sight - Moved to Zombie Awareness
Integrated Risugamis Spawner GUI mod into the mod, use this instead of his if you need it.
MobSpawner options, faster spawn rate, spawn area range, activation range, activate if they are able to pathfind to you within the set spawner act distance, or if within 16 blocks.
Option for unlimited entity render distance.
Urian

Post by Urian »

This thread is moving away from being a suggestions thread, ergo I'm moving it to the BTW discussion forum.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

I play on peaceful 90% of the time....simply because of creepers and the damage they can do to buildings and constructions; that is a BIG NO NO in my book. To me that is just griefing and has nothing at all to do with survival. If it wasn't for that aspect, I'd be quite happy to play on the hardest difficulty.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

I tend to stay away from peaceful if I'm not just building. So, usually, the only time I should ever be on peaceful is if I'm on a test map.

Other than that, I've grown a little attached to Easy, because I'm relatively slow in my progression of the game. Literally, I'll be using stone tools for weeks before I even consider advancing to iron, just because even though it's slower, it still gets the job done for me. I've contemplated pumping it up to normal for my next BTW world, but my current will be set to Easy most likely permanently.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

emmasteadman wrote:I play on peaceful 90% of the time....simply because of creepers and the damage they can do to buildings and constructions; that is a BIG NO NO in my book. To me that is just griefing and has nothing at all to do with survival. If it wasn't for that aspect, I'd be quite happy to play on the hardest difficulty.
I agree with that. The block destruction would make sense if it was to get past defenses, and stop the "hidey hole" method of surviving, but they only explode when you are in their sight and they are close to you, causing large damage and annoyingly destroying your work.
echo off

Post by echo off »

i was just re-reading this thread... i feel sorry for FC. Just when he gets rid of grinding wool for string, notch comes along and dumps spider webs everywhere.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

echo off wrote:i was just re-reading this thread... i feel sorry for FC. Just when he gets rid of grinding wool for string, notch comes along and dumps spider webs everywhere.
I was just about to go into this thread and mention that you can get string on peaceful now due to the spider webs. Also, I don't think it effects the early game too much. Hunting for spider webs (abandoned mines) pretty much means fighting monsters (spiders and others) anyway.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I usually only use it when I'm in the nether inside a mountain and building an outpost or something like that. These god damn ghast sounds drive me insane and its the only way to shut them up.
As for spiderwebs: They are a great way for dulling your sword, thats for sure, especially when you try to reach a spider spawner.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Haidaes wrote:I usually only use it when I'm in the nether inside a mountain and building an outpost or something like that. These god damn ghast sounds drive me insane and its the only way to shut them up.
As for spiderwebs: They are a great way for dulling your sword, thats for sure, especially when you try to reach a spider spawner.
You can use shears as well to harvest cobwebs.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

gftweek wrote:
Haidaes wrote:I usually only use it when I'm in the nether inside a mountain and building an outpost or something like that. These god damn ghast sounds drive me insane and its the only way to shut them up.
You can use shears as well to harvest cobwebs.
Thats still 2 iron and I'm not sure sheers are as durable as a sword.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

An iron sword has 251 durability, and shears have 238. Maybe just bring some stone swords (132 durability) for the cobwebs?
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

emmasteadman wrote:I play on peaceful 90% of the time....simply because of creepers and the damage they can do to buildings and constructions; that is a BIG NO NO in my book. To me that is just griefing and has nothing at all to do with survival. If it wasn't for that aspect, I'd be quite happy to play on the hardest difficulty.
I understand your position, though sometimes I think creepers were/are one of Minecraft's great ideas. It's really hard to threaten players in a sandbox game, even a survival-sandbox game. Sure, you can make them lose (or be likely to lose) their items if they die, but they can just stop carrying valuable items. But to actually scare them, nothing could be quite as good as an enemy that explosively undoes all your hard work. Having to rebuild also adds a little longevity.

Now, I also think creepers are implemented in an annoying sort of way, and I tend to switch down from normal through easy to peaceful as I spend longer on a map. I've made my point: I have my safe base, now just let me build stuff without dying. And dying in a really bad way: without ever fighting back. Sometimes without even seeing your foe. Sometimes by being knocked/thrown into lava and losing an inventory full of sweet loot, because you didn't see that overhanging tunnel when you were clearing the cave system. This kind of uninteractive death isn't adding challenge to the game, I think, and Minecraft isn't in need of that kind of high-stakes, high-variance gambling.

So basically my issue is that monsters interact with the Explore elements of the game in a very successful way (they're pretty scary and about the right level of threat to someone who's trying to interact with them), but it takes very little work to make them irrelevant to the Build parts, at which point they become an infrequent, lose-everything-without-a-chance-to-interact rage-inducer.
What Strange Devices!
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

endermen keep breaking my mob traps. Im having to set the game to peaceful to fix it. Other than that I Play normal.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Nexus Trimean wrote:endermen keep breaking my mob traps. Im having to set the game to peaceful to fix it. Other than that I Play normal.
This list of blocks endermen can't pick up might be useful for preventing them from griefing things you've built, I'm quite underwhelmed with endermen, they are annoying at most, but not as hard as I had expected.

I usually play on Normal, but caving freaks me out when it gets too open or there are too many paths to explore or holes in the roof, so I often cave in and switch to peaceful. Abandoned mineshafts are better though since they are a bit more predictable, and they are easy to block off with the supports every now and then.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Thanks, thats incredibly useful. Will have to hold up all my signs with fences in my mob trap.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Pretty sure they wipe out chest contents when they pick it up. I found an enderman spawner on my first new map and the chest in that dungeon was empty. First time that has happened and the only thing I can think of is that it got spilled when they moved it.
Better is the enemy of Good
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

DaveYanakov wrote:Pretty sure they wipe out chest contents when they pick it up. I found an enderman spawner on my first new map and the chest in that dungeon was empty. First time that has happened and the only thing I can think of is that it got spilled when they moved it.
I'd say the contents are probably destroyed, it's also a pain that they don't drop their blocks on death (except for cactus I've noticed), a desert near a village I was living in, slowly filled up with new cacti as the endermen moved blocks of it around and replanted it.