Modding Your Mod

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yushatak

Modding Your Mod

Post by Yushatak »

Were someone to want to use BTW items in the recipes of their mod, or apply mechanical power to items in their mod, how would they go about doing that? I'm not ready to do so quite yet, but I would like to add integration between your mod and my upcoming mod in an optional patch (that way I can continue to use BTW as I develop my mod, and make sure there are no redundancies, and make sure my stuff compliments your mod without making anything OP). :3

IIRC buildcraft has the latter form of integration, so I know it's possible, but I don't know if you made a special case of partially shared source, or what.

As I said, not ready yet, but I figured I'd ask this well in advance, since I'm doing most of the planning all prior to beginning the code (when 1.8 strikes).
Gilberreke

Re: Modding Your Mod

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild doesn't want us to discuss any code. I can only divulge that it's pretty easy to set up and that there's extensible code in place.

I'm currently preparing for exams/training weekends/etc, but I should be on IRC next week. You can ask me extra questions there in PM if you want.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Doesn't the forge make some things like that possible? I seem to remember reading about the sharing of items/features between Forge mods.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

It's an upcoming feature, but one that FlowerChild has to opt for and use. As it is now, he doesn't really like the feature, so if/when it comes, he probably won't use it.

That said, the feature is irrelevant to blocks like mechanical power, though there has been talk of extending the feature slightly with a common interface for different kinds of power (imagine a BTW axle getting power from an IC water wheel).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I *may* be releasing my own API at some point to tie into the mechanical power system and a couple of other things.

No ETA on that (it's strictly "when I feel like it"), but it will likely function through a few .class files that will contain common interfaces for interacting with mod blocks, and I'll be giving permission to people to redistribute only those files with their mods. Basically, the same thing Buildcraft does.

But yeah, I'm not big on the whole "block sharing between mods thing", so that's probably not an aspect I'll choose to participate in with the Forge.