New Release! (BTW V4.64)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
darahalian

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.64)

Post by darahalian »

I'm not sure if this is even significant or not, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case.
Spoiler
Show
I noticed that all the dung blocks I had were now labeled Old Dung, and could be converted to Block of Dung in the crafting table. I don't even know if this happened in this release or a previous one, but the new block has its own place/break/step sounds, and old dung blocks no longer work to make a beacon, only the new ones. The only reason I bring this up is because this seems like a largely aesthetic change, but I'm pretty sure doing this requires the use of a separate blockID. Consequently, I can't think of a reason FC would have done this unless this was just the side effect of a bigger change. The last time I remember that a storage block got its own ID and unique properties was the SFS block, so I can't help but think something bigger is going on here, especially with the mention of a certain "something something" that has been changed.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

The dung block change happened in version 4.6.

From the release notes:
Spoiler
Show
Changed Dung blocks so that they are part of aesthetic earth blocks, which allows them to behave in a manner more consistent with their material type. This necessitates a conversion for previously existing Dung blocks, which will now be labeled as "Old Dung", and may be performed by just dropping them in the crafting grid. Note that this change will affect Dung beacons, which will no longer function with the old blocks.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

jecowa wrote:The dung block change happened in version 4.6.

From the release notes:
Spoiler
Show
Changed Dung blocks so that they are part of aesthetic earth blocks, which allows them to behave in a manner more consistent with their material type. This necessitates a conversion for previously existing Dung blocks, which will now be labeled as "Old Dung", and may be performed by just dropping them in the crafting grid. Note that this change will affect Dung beacons, which will no longer function with the old blocks.
Ah, okay then. Totally forgot about that.

I must be getting paranoid or something... :P
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

darahalian wrote: I must be getting paranoid or something... :P
It's a completely understandable reaction, honestly :)
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:I'm not sure if this is even significant or not, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case.
If you're uncertain if something was in a previous release, please just do a quick find within the release change log in the readme first to avoid a lot of back and forth.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Graphite wrote:...but half-slabbing my entire branch-mine is not really an option. :P
Huh? You go back into your tapped out strip mines?

If you don't, why not design it in such a way that you can merely block off the areas that are finished.

FC, what a brilliant way to start a Saturday! As ever, Thankyou! First thing I'm going to do is open up my 2 chests of illicit charcoal and chuck the lot into the nearest lava pit!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Shengji wrote:If you don't, why not design it in such a way that you can merely block off the areas that are finished.
Maybe because that would create unlit, spawnable underground areas within range of my mobtrap? Admittedly, that could be counteracted by not mining where you build and vice-versa, but first of all, that halts any and all automation you have going at your base, and second it just doesn't seem to work for me. I can't just dig a hole in the ground somewhere in the middle of nowhere without putting atleast some effort into above-ground structures nearby. Heck, if the mining's particularly good there, I'll even end up building a full-fledged base sooner or later.

For example, this pretty much happened on my swamp-base... went there mostly to get some stacks of slimeballs and maybe some ores and such and my base there has been growing since. Gonna build a mobtrap as soon as I can figure out how I want it to look.
warmist

Post by warmist »

Shengji wrote:
Graphite wrote:...but half-slabbing my entire branch-mine is not really an option. :P
Huh? You go back into your tapped out strip mines?

If you don't, why not design it in such a way that you can merely block off the areas that are finished.

FC, what a brilliant way to start a Saturday! As ever, Thankyou! First thing I'm going to do is open up my 2 chests of illicit charcoal and chuck the lot into the nearest lava pit!
I think he meant that monsters will spawn in abandoned strip mines. That gives me an idea: making strip mine monster spawners :D

As always thank you FC. I was wondering why there is a way to use wood in kiln (with only pro that it does not use fuel and a con that you can't stack wood in the kiln)
Sage

Post by Sage »

FlowerChild wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:You're a big tease :P time for some experimentation XD
Am I a bigger or smaller tease if I say the something something is the first step in my epic brainstorm from yesterday? :)
Didn't you say in the other thread that you couldn't give it us tomorrow (today)? You are somewhat an epic troll of epic.

Anyway, good release...I will finally make a decent mob trap, my little lame afk trap was continually taking bad hits with those later releases, and it already felt wrong using it. ;)
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Hey wait a sec -- I didn't even know you could make torches out of nethercoal... /facepalm

The torch change sounds a little harsh to begin with, but it's far preferable to the extreme solutions of making torches expire or produce less light, and I approve. Something definitely needed to be done about them. Was honestly expecting this to be mostly a world gen modification release but the other subtle changes are very cool :) Great changes as always FC, thanks!
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Brilliant job as always FC, it seems I couldn't of picked a better time to really get back into MC/BTW.

Really loving all the recent hardcore changes!

Edit: And I think I've found the "little something" that was changed
Last edited by ignika42 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Woot! :) A new release... as it often happens on Saturdays, it seems to me!
Looking forward to trying it when I'll have some time. Thank you!

(Is anyone having trouble with the download? I'm getting 403 forbidden all the time)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Damn I did not see the change to make 1 torch per coal coming. I love it! Great work as always, FC!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
IzBatt

Post by IzBatt »

So excited to start getting my hands dirty! Thanks FC you're the man.
"The people who started the war are the reason. And unless you fight to get rid of the reason, nothing will ever change. I fight to get rid of the reason."-Bart
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

So I ran out of coal while branch mining but did manage to find four diamonds before that happened so I stormed the nether, built a shelter around the portal and mined two chests of netherrack before spending the next hour replacing all the torches with netherrack braziers in the walls.

Caving looks a whole lot different now and is actually terrifying. I'm not sure it's the best bet for early iron collection anymore but it's got a very solid heft to the experience.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Will do a play through myself from scratch today guys to get a better impression of the impact the torch thing makes on the game.

Please keep in mind this is an ongoing process to try and get the balance just right, so if further adjustments are required, they will of course be made.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

DaveYanakov wrote:So I ran out of coal while branch mining but did manage to find four diamonds before that happened so I stormed the nether, built a shelter around the portal and mined two chests of netherrack before spending the next hour replacing all the torches with netherrack braziers in the walls.
Before you access the Nether, you could fill in half your branch Tunnel with Cobble like this:

You lose half your Cobble, but you only need 1 or 2 Torches.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

jecowa wrote:You lose half your Cobble, but you only need 1 or 2 Torches.
And about 5,000 picks :P

Loving the new release, especially looking forward to finding a mushroom biome.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I actually started to strip mine with the lens, If you are plunged into darkness you know a mob is behind you. :) you can either back fill tunnels with cobble or block the entrance and not mine next to your mob spawner.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Bynari

Post by Bynari »

-Changed desert temples in one other subtle way that I'll leave to the player to discover ;)
Oh, you flowery BASTARD.

I won't say any more than that.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Using the lens for mining? Never would have thought of it, you genius :p

I can't wait to get my teeth into this update ^_^ thanks again FC!
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

-Changed a little something something in a way that will be left for players to discover.

I really thought I'd discovered this one. I was hiding in a hole knowing I'd lit the outside up with the few torches I'd been able to make. Suddenly, I hear a hissing sound, as though fire is going out. I peaked a little hole to double check my torches, thinking they were being put out by the rain. Nope, they're still burning!

Turns out if a zombie is in the "sunlight" while it's raining he will very quickly catch fire and be immediately extinguished by the rain. The fire isn't visible but the hiss is audible. This release has made me nothing but paranoid... I love it :)
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Ozziie wrote:Turns out if a zombie is in the "sunlight" while it's raining he will very quickly catch fire and be immediately extinguished by the rain. The fire isn't visible but the hiss is audible. This release has made me nothing but paranoid... I love it :)
Isn't that very old and vanilla?

Ontopic: I use glowstone and light blocks for most of my lighting lategame, it's pretty dangerous to obtain but there's always some vein low enough to mine without risking a deadly fall.
earthling

Post by earthling »

Scarcity is the mother of innovation...

Light is Steve's most powerful tool. It is his security blanket. Without it he is subject to harassment by a endless hoard of hostile creatures, bent on hindering his every step and undermining his every effort, at the very best to be avoided and, with determination and planning, eventually harnessed. The world darkens with fewer candles to defy and challenge the abyss...

Does this scarcity of light represent a shift in the balance of power, or is it merely another staircase in Steve's path to carving out a home?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Dang it, you beat me to updating my server code.

Awesome release though, I have been waiting for my village tables.