log's + kiln = charcoal

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
BigShinyToys

log's + kiln = charcoal

Post by BigShinyToys »

this is a simple one place a Logs in a kiln and it turns into charcoal . this would make auto charcoal factory possible and making torches simpler to make in huge quantity. + it fits that you could bake wood to make coal.
Cidergis

Re: log's + kiln = charcoal

Post by Cidergis »

that is a simple and realistic idea. it does make sense too i would probably use it to.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I actually had this thought too when the kiln came out, but I think with fire working the way it does the log may catch on fire during this (but maybe that's one of the dangers of making charcoal this way).

I really don't see this being all that useful as you can throw an entire stack into a furnace while this is only one log at a time. The only helpful part is there's no fuel consumed in making it.
Cidergis

Post by Cidergis »

KriiEiter wrote:I actually had this thought too when the kiln came out, but I think with fire working the way it does the log may catch on fire during this (but maybe that's one of the dangers of making charcoal this way).

I really don't see this being all that useful as you can throw an entire stack into a furnace while this is only one log at a time. The only helpful part is there's no fuel consumed in making it.
Exactly why i would use it its more efficient i feel like the combination between the fuel you haft to burn to make the charcoal and the fuel you need to make the torches just dosnt make that worth the effort however if you could some how automate the charcoal making process using the kiln i think it would be much more efficeint. although the fire could be a problem.
Tuschi

Post by Tuschi »

Cidergis wrote:
KriiEiter wrote:I actually had this thought too when the kiln came out, but I think with fire working the way it does the log may catch on fire during this (but maybe that's one of the dangers of making charcoal this way).

Exactly why i would use it its more efficient i feel like the combination between the fuel you haft to burn to make the charcoal and the fuel you need to make the torches just dosnt make that worth the effort however if you could some how automate the charcoal making process using the kiln i think it would be much more efficeint. although the fire could be a problem.
Sounds cool, but still, I'd rather put 4 nethercoal or 8 charcoal and 64 wood than need to keep placing new logs and hoping they don't burn away...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I think battosay brought up an idea regarding smelting ores in the kiln (in the turtle forums) a short while after 2.91, so It's likely that FC's already got a list of kiln uses thrown together somewhere. Charcoal makes a little more sense than ores though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I think he meant ores to be smelted in the crucible or am I mistaken?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Deepsniper wrote:I think he meant ores to be smelted in the crucible or am I mistaken?
Nope, definitely kiln.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
empath

Post by empath »

BigShinyToys wrote:this is a simple one place a Logs in a kiln and it turns into charcoal . this would make auto charcoal factory possible and making torches simpler to make in huge quantity. + it fits that you could bake wood to make coal.
I like this a lot, but wouldn't it be easier to just put wood into a regular furnace?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I had the thought of putting a furnace in a kiln; trade-off would be things smelt at half the speed or something something.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

so i had not thought about the fire problem . i can see how it would be a problem. my main idear was to combine this with a Auto tree growing system so you don't have to anything and you get charcoal. as i agree placing one at a time in a kiln would be painfully tedious work. but with something like battosay's auto kiln you could offload a pile of logs then let it process them and come back to a pile of charcoal. that is just two reasons this could be useful . but i do see the problem with fire. maby you would need to have them travel through a shoot being pushed in by a piston and then cleared out by water .
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Sadly, with the code for the kiln as it is right now, this is not possible. The unfired pottery is what does the actual logic check. For wood to work the same way, FC would have to associate an entity to the wood block which would create a whole lot of client load.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Xecaquan wrote:Sadly, with the code for the kiln as it is right now, this is not possible. The unfired pottery is what does the actual logic check. For wood to work the same way, FC would have to associate an entity to the wood block which would create a whole lot of client load.
Which is why I hope he eventually gives us a kiln block (there shouldn't be any problem with item IDs anymore) it could just use brick to make. Hell, it doesn't even NEED to use brick at all if he wants.

It doesn't bug me too much if he doesn't have a kiln block, I just think it'd be easier in general for firing things besides pottery if he wants it to do that too.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Only problem with this is that it's kind of the opposite of how charcoal gets burned. Charcoal is made by covering a wood fire with soil in order to limit the oxygen, resulting in a very slow, fairly cool burn. A kiln works by firing clay at very high temperatures with no limit on the oxygen. Wood placed in a kiln would be consumed to ash.
Better is the enemy of Good
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

While the kiln is fairly far down the tech tree, it would still kind of break the investment and reward system of the forge and the charcoal. I guess the same is true for smelting ore with it, and FC seemed to be fine with it (at least I can't remember him mentioning this concern) but it still feels kinda strange making forges obsolete, which is the result.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DaveYanakov wrote:Charcoal is made by covering a wood fire with soil in order to limit the oxygen, resulting in a very slow, fairly cool burn.
Lies! Clearly charcoal is made by simply burning wood in a stone box.