My sons BTW creations

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Shengji

My sons BTW creations

Post by Shengji »

I originally put this in another topic, the HC Hunger and creative mode one, but it is way off topic so deleted it from there and putting it here instead.

Thanks to Foxy Boxes, I can keep my sons world using BTW (in creative mode)! I wanted to show off some of the things he's made - do bear in mind he is only 3 and plays with direct supervision so he uses me as a wiki! I was looking through his world today and was absolutely blown away by what he has achieved!

This is a nearly fully working windmill:
Spoiler
Show
One of the gear boxes is the wrong way round but if it weren't for that, it is perfect. Note that it is fully stormproof, using a redstone torch. Breaking the torch to make it work is basic, but bloody brilliant. I would have told him to use a switch on the gearbox itself! Also there is no way up to the torch, he flies up there and smashes his way through the window each time! Not sure he will actually use the power to do anything, there is a millstone beneath though.

This is one of his houses: Notice he's rigged the wiring to directly replicate the pattern of windows in the next door house!
Spoiler
Show
Also Pumpkin roof and melon floor. Maybe the lightstone is supposed to be gingerbread.

Thinking about it, a house made of food post HCH is the ultimate in luxury!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Wibbles

Re: My sons BTW creations

Post by Wibbles »

It's a fantastic feeling when you realise your kids are actually quite smart and have accomplished something ;) I have a 5 year old son who I haven't really introduced to the joy of MC (or BTW for that matter), but since he has 3 other (younger) siblings I can't often find the time to sit with him to teach him how to play it. Makes me feel terrible... Bah, one day I'll buy them all their own computers, network them, and let them build together on the same map. I wonder what it'd look like...

Anyway, I digress; it's great to have some insight into the mind of a child :) The house is very colourful, I must say. Certainly not your average dirt/cobblestone hut! And it sort of reminds me of when HC melons were introduced and people were complaining about their melon castles collapsing... hah :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

That melon/pumpkin house is pretty boss.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I work as a teaching assistant at a preschool and there's a few kids there that I feel would get a major kick out of playing BTW :p your son has some great building skills there, and I am very impressed :-) . just curious but do you let him play other games, and do you plan on bumping him up to survival eventually?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The melon floor actually makes a really awesome pattern... I think I should try that out.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

JakeZKAM wrote:I work as a teaching assistant at a preschool and there's a few kids there that I feel would get a major kick out of playing BTW :p your son has some great building skills there, and I am very impressed :-) . just curious but do you let him play other games, and do you plan on bumping him up to survival eventually?
Yeah, he's getting good - I got him a trackball because he was struggling with a mouse, it improved his precision tenfold. Other games - he plays a simple infinite runner type game on my iphone, frogger, pac man, Spider: The secret of Bryce Manor, The Sims 3, Rhythm Action games, Audiosurf - It sounds like he's glued to the screen, he's honestly not - he gets half an hour every couple of days or so! I find indie bundles are a great source for games he can enjoy, there pretty simple to complete for an adult to make sure all the content is appropriate and it's to his level and if he gets bored with it then its an insignificant amount of money invested. He's getting into rfactor at the moment, using my wheel and pedals, he's managed a complete lap of brands hatch in under 3 mins (In the same car, I do it in 1m10s)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

While listening to Hawkwind and old Floyd? :p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

My Son is 2 and plays. The amount of stuff they figure out by themselves is amazing isn't it? That's some incredible stuff your son has made. Mine currently plays more with entities than building things, but I'm sure he'll make it to that point soon enough. Also, I find my son likes to turn on the inverted mouse, which drives me insane, does yours do that too?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tom_savage wrote:My Son is 2 and plays. The amount of stuff they figure out by themselves is amazing isn't it? That's some incredible stuff your son has made. Mine currently plays more with entities than building things, but I'm sure he'll make it to that point soon enough. Also, I find my son likes to turn on the inverted mouse, which drives me insane, does yours do that too?
No, but *I* always use inverted mouse.

This clearly indicates that your son is utterly brilliant (or the reincarnation of a fighter pilot) and you should encourage his inversion in every way possible ;)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

tom_savage wrote:My Son is 2 and plays. The amount of stuff they figure out by themselves is amazing isn't it? That's some incredible stuff your son has made. Mine currently plays more with entities than building things, but I'm sure he'll make it to that point soon enough. Also, I find my son likes to turn on the inverted mouse, which drives me insane, does yours do that too?
I used to be strictly inverted, couldn't get the hang of normal at all - I attribute it to growing up with joysticks rather than pads - but then one day I found I was using normal without noticing. Since then I haven't bothered changing it, whatever the default in any particular game is always fine. My son uses normal though, he learnt to use a mouse in paint, so I guess that stands to reason.

EDIT: turns out my minecraft is set to inverted, looks like he's ambiverti as well!!
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote:
No, but *I* always use inverted mouse.

This clearly indicates that your son is utterly brilliant (or the reincarnation of a fighter pilot) and you should encourage his inversion in every way possible ;)
It also wouldn't hurt if you encouraged him to learn programming when he starts school, as that will give him a major leg up down the road with mathematics and problem solving.

Worked when my dad was raising me. Although I didn't get to make many friends early on thanks to most of my free time being spent being spent programming roguelikes and text adventures...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ion

Post by ion »

i want more pics. most of times kids bring up new ideas for block use that i never tough about. and that's what i'm looking here