Animal pens [Designs for fun, and more knowledge]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
sky_demon

Animal pens [Designs for fun, and more knowledge]

Post by sky_demon »

So I would like to see some designs here if possible.

Here I have my design for starters in new worlds or servers.

This design lets you do what ever you want with cows, but doesn't let them do anything except breeding, and dying.
Spoiler
Show
So, we have here 2x2 hole with cows, and just patch around it underground with slabs on top of ceiling, so pigs, chickens,
and any babies would not escape. That is pretty much it here, but it is really easy, and convenient to use.
IowaGuy

Re: Animal pens [Designs for fun, and more knowledge]

Post by IowaGuy »

I would like to see peoples hilarious execution chambers for them. Drowning, suffocation, EXPLOSIONS? (Ala Torgue)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I'm a fan of building a very small pit filled with a very large number of animals and killing all of them with a single explosion, trust me it's funny as hell, especially when you end up with around 200 leather and half of that again of raw beef
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

It's probably not the most space efficient design out there, but it works for me.
Spoiler
Show
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

MrPlatypus wrote:It's probably not the most space efficient design out there, but it works for me.
Oh, I never thought of using a double gate design like that! Having an airlock for our pig enclosure would help more than a little bit.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

All I have at the moment is a chicken coop.
Spoiler
Show
Outside of the Coop
Day/Night Timer
Inside the Coop
Inside the chickens are held in place over a hopper by fences (Well as close to it as possible). The dispensers behind the chickens are hooked up to a day/night detector (Designed by Etho) so that every morning the chickens are fed seeds. The last two pens contain a hopper above which collects seeds from a pumpkin dropping farm in the sky. All other animals are free to roam the range.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

I think I may have the replicate the daylight detector method of feeding. It sounds very effective.
CreeperCannibal

It is an effective method of feeding chickens and whatnot, it does have a few limitations though. Since the device uses grass to grow in the daylight and die at night it's not too perfect with timing. Also, it might feed your chickens twice in one day. Etho should have a video on how to build one on his channel. I recommend swapping the water detector with a buddy block.
EDIT: Actually you might want to go with a simple light detector discussed below.
Last edited by CreeperCannibal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
With its eye of coal
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Couldn't you just use the light sensor as a day/night detector and save yourself a lot of hassle?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
CreeperCannibal

Good point. I didn't think about that at the time I decided to start building the day/night sensor. I'm still a novice when it comes to BTW shortcuts in redstone gadgetry and pure BTW gadgets themselves.
With its eye of coal
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

These are some pens from an old BTW world of mine. Nothing too special, they were entirely manually operated, but I always thought they looked cool.
Spoiler
Show
CreeperCannibal

These are some pens from an old BTW world of mine. Nothing too special, they were entirely manually operated, but I always thought they looked cool.
The pig pen is my favorite. It's by far the most scenic animal pen I've experienced.
With its eye of coal
stoneyloon

Post by stoneyloon »

My 1st attempt at an automatic cow slaughter house Works very well though i need to tidy up the building.

Dispensers above the cows spit out wheat (loaded manually so far) and breed the cows, it gets its signal from a 5 min timer from a dispenser and pressure plate (also loaded manually) the timer also acts as a rubbish bin making unwanted items useful.
The baby cows drop into pit 1 then when adult they jump over the wall into pit 2.
Pit 2 is my favourite :) it has water flowing straight into a saw then into a hopper so i can reap the rewards and keep my hands clean lol
Spoiler
Show

The next one is my doggy doo farm, manually loaded with meat from the top using normal dispensers.

There is a detector block in front of the drop down chamber for the dung to drop which sends a pulse to a block dispenser with 3 wool slabs and a redstone torch, so every 4th dung that drops past it'll pulse the dispensers at the top dropping more meat.
I have 6 wolves but pulse new meat every 4 dung just incase either one doesnt produce dung/dung gets stuck/the detector block doesnt pick it up.
Spoiler
Show

Planning on making pig and sheep slaughter houses the same as the cow one as it works very well atm.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I'm generally careless with my animal pens and just make a big box with a fence. I employ daily bloody massacres to avoid overcrowding, and I always plan to upgrade to an auto-breeding factory when I have the time/resources.

Although I did this in Renewablock to keep the pesky brats from moving, glitching through things and killing themselves:
Spoiler
Show
Of course, at least one of them still somehow managed to find a way to move, glitch through something, and kill itself.
ion

Post by ion »

ExpHP wrote:I'm generally careless with my animal pens and just make a big box with a fence. I employ daily bloody massacres to avoid overcrowding, and I always plan to upgrade to an auto-breeding factory when I have the time/resources.

Although I did this in Renewablock to keep the pesky brats from moving, glitching through things and killing themselves:
Spoiler
Show
Of course, at least one of them still somehow managed to find a way to move, glitch through something, and kill itself.
was it one of the baby sheep?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

ion wrote:was it one of the baby sheep?
Er... that question feels a little out of left field to me, but since they all probably grew up within 15 minutes of me taking that picture, I assume not?

On another note, here's my sheep pen near spawn in my main world.
Spoiler
Show
It's not much to look at, I know, but I still have recurring nightmares about sorting those pens. And separating newborn mutants from the pens they are born in is no treat either.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but HCS goes quite a long way in discouraging mass breeding pens for OCD sorting freaks.
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

This is a dumb question, but if one was to throw a stack of wheat into a pin of twenty or so sheep, would they all eat just one and breed similar to how chickens eat? I usually breed animals by clicking on them and just realized that they can eat the items.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yes they will all take one as long as it is close enough to them for them to eat it. Also, you should throw in an even number so you don't waste any.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Yeah, when right-clicking, you can accidentally feed animals more than one wheat if you're not careful, as per this lovely quote from a moderator on Mojang's bug tracker:
You can keep feeding animals wheat if you want to, that's not a bug, that's the player's choice
>_>

Luckily, animals fed by throwing food on the ground will only consume one wheat apiece.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...seriously? So you can't tell when the animals are potentially horny again except by trying to feed them wheat and seeing nothing happens but your wheat being consumed?

Lame. Player choice my ass.

I always chuck wheat on the ground, so I never noticed that.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Okay agentwiggles, I just have to say I love the set up you have there on the cliff...
It just looks amazing...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I thought that I noticed my mosh-pit of cows consuming a ridiculously high amount of wheat when I spammed the right mouse button. From now on I am definitely going to be throwing items.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MrPlatypus wrote:Ok, thanks for the clarification. I thought that I noticed my mosh-pit of cows consuming a ridiculously high amount of wheat when I spammed the right mouse button. From now on I am definitely going to be throwing items.
I'll fix that for next release. It's like half a line of code, and as per my usual policy: fuck player choice :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I present to you the ugliest building ever concieved by random circumstance: The Elephant / Anteater / Aardvark / What the *bleep* did we just build?

From the High Stakes Let's Play world.

http://imgur.com/a/XJy2H

The inside contains our sheep, a bunch of spare cows (in case someone blows up our automated cow farm), and the pigs, which I finally got tired of having underground in our main "base".
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

Thalarctia wrote:I present to you the ugliest building ever concieved by random circumstance: The Elephant / Anteater / Aardvark / What the *bleep* did we just build?
I disagree. With some slight changes that could be a really cool Nordic or Viking style building. If there was a village with several buildings of this style, it could look very nice. Especially in a snow biome.