Sound Sensor?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
CreeperCannibal

Sound Sensor?

Post by CreeperCannibal »

I was just wondering, has anyone created a redstone sound sensing mechanism yet? Is such a sensor possible in minecraft?
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Mason11987

Re: Sound Sensor?

Post by Mason11987 »

There is a components of Thaumcraft called the Arcane Ear that is a sort of remote redstone that works with noteblocks I think. Have no idea how it works though.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I'm pretty fairly certain that nothing in the game can react to sound aside from disgruntled players.

And responding to Note Blocks is different from responding to sound.
Last edited by ExpHP on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CreeperCannibal

Alright, thanks for the quick responses. :3

EDIT: I wasn't aware of the drawbacks for having sound be a trigger. I learned some very valuable stuff today. :D Thanks FC
Last edited by CreeperCannibal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With its eye of coal
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sound isn't really a gameplay element in MC. It's just a client effect.

You can think of it as being similar to particles. As far as the game itself is concerned, they don't really exist.

Before someone rants about it, this really isn't a problem with the MC code base. Most games, with very few exceptions (like the Splinter Cell or Thief franchises), do not treat sounds as game events as doing so can be rather computationally expensive.

Hence why I tend to automatically write off any suggestions about using sounds as an in-game trigger. It's possible, but would be extremely labor intensive to pull off and maintain, and would likely be a performance drain as well.
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

FC and the others expanded quite well how sound is only for the benefit of the player, but sound is usually associated with an event. If there was a specific event that you had in mind for detection, then that would be the starting point for creating a detection system.

Lets say you wanted to know when gear box is on or off with out being in the room. You could use a buddy block that toggled a T flip flop that activated a light on or off.

So I was wondering if there was something specific that you were trying to detect or if it was just sound in general.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
CreeperCannibal

XantyZon wrote:FC and the others expanded quite well how sound is only for the benefit of the player, but sound is usually associated with an event. If there was a specific event that you had in mind for detection, then that would be the starting point for creating a detection system.

Lets say you wanted to know when gear box is on or off with out being in the room. You could use a buddy block that toggled a T flip flop that activated a light on or off.

So I was wondering if there was something specific that you were trying to detect or if it was just sound in general.
Zombies, skeletons and creepers drove me to ask this. Mainly just sorting noisy skeletons and zombies from the quite creepers. I know there is a way to sort them via pathfinding but such a system feels too "fragile" too easy and leaves me worrying if the creepers got to the snow golems doing all of the sorting. Otherwise my curiosity got the best of me in the terms of what senses redstone could be used to tap. Using this system for sensing water, lava, etc, etc, other sound sources would have no purpose, or at least none I can think of in the terms of survival.
With its eye of coal
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

CreeperCannibal wrote:
Zombies, skeletons and creepers drove me to ask this. Mainly just sorting noisy skeletons and zombies from the quite creepers. I know there is a way to sort them via pathfinding but such a system feels too "fragile" too easy and leaves me worrying if the creepers got to the snow golems doing all of the sorting.
I have been working on a way to sort mobs as well so I can set up a record farm and it's far from perfect. If I find something that works better than the snow golems I'll post it for you.
CreeperCannibal

Thanks man. :)
With its eye of coal
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Nothing much exits yet as far as I'm aware....BUT in the current snapshots music disks output a redstone current proportional to the number of the disk. So one only emits 1 redstone's worth of charge and 13 does 13.

(Source:http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... e-releases look under 13w04a)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

ummm... why do you need to sort your mobs?
every single item from them can be filtered into their own chest using normal BTW mechanics. Unless you want to separate your scroll drops but that seems to be a little unnecessary given the drop rates for them... Besides the more mob sorting you do the slower your mob trap will go because the mobs in the filtering system limit the spawning of mobs in the actual mob trap.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
strelko

Post by strelko »

Maybe using a cat as a creeper-repellant could help with the sorting, though I don't know whether they repel them through walls...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Zombies will path towards villagers so you can use that mechanic to filter out zombies, and if you use snow golems for the skeletons, you're left with only creepers as long as your trap doesn't support spiders and endermen, but they're easy to separate from the rest
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

I posted this before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SwtecF3m7g in the Record Farm With BTW topic.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4844
I get the impression that CreeperCannibal already knows about this mob trap. It's still worth posting again.
CreeperCannibal

TheGatesofLogic wrote:ummm... why do you need to sort your mobs?
every single item from them can be filtered into their own chest using normal BTW mechanics. Unless you want to separate your scroll drops but that seems to be a little unnecessary given the drop rates for them... Besides the more mob sorting you do the slower your mob trap will go because the mobs in the filtering system limit the spawning of mobs in the actual mob trap.
Certain mobs have multiple drops. Zombies drop tools that can be melted down into iron and rotten flesh as their main drop, skeletons drop bones and rotten arrows and so on. I'm thinking it might be simpler to organize the mobs then their drops. From seeing Battosay's videos though I guess that's not required. So the record farm is the last reason to need this. Other than that I have my own overly organized desires that really aren't too relevant to my survival. I'll need to shed these desires sometime down the road.
XantyZon wrote:I posted this before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SwtecF3m7g in the Record Farm With BTW topic.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4844
I get the impression that CreeperCannibal already knows about this mob trap. It's still worth posting again.
I might settle with pathfinding for now or just set up two chambers for bipedal mobs and hope for the best. ;)
With its eye of coal