Tallow: Greasy Herald of Greater Things To Come

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheHoboHunted

Tallow: Greasy Herald of Greater Things To Come

Post by TheHoboHunted »

After a quick search of the forums here to see what has already been theorized about its possible use(s), my head exploded. While picking bits of bone and gray matter out of my carpet, it suddenly occurred to me that this humble by-product was more than deserving of its very own Discussion Thread.

At first glance, the addition of tallow seems relatively innocent, especially to one not familiar with just what the hell it's supposed to be.
According to Wikipedia:
Spoiler
Show
Tallow is a rendered form of beef or mutton fat, processed from suet. It is solid at room temperature. Unlike suet, tallow can be stored for extended periods without the need for refrigeration to prevent decomposition, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation.

Industrially, tallow is not strictly defined as beef or mutton fat. In this context, tallow is animal fat that conforms to certain technical criteria, including its melting point. It is common for commercial tallow to contain fat derived from other animals, such as lard from pigs, or even from plant sources.

Previously, I'd been aware of it's uses as a kind of lard. But it's Industrial Applications are what really shoved a creeper in my skull.
Once again, according to Wikipedia:
Spoiler
Show
Uses
Tallow is used in animal feed, to make soap, shoe polish, for cooking, and as a bird food. It can be used as a raw material for the production of biodiesel and other oleochemicals. Historically, it was used to make tallow candles, which were a cheaper alternative to wax candles.
Lubrication
Early in the development of steam-driven piston engines the hot vapors and liquids washed away most lubricants very quickly. It was soon found that tallow was quite resistant to this washing. Tallow, and compounds including tallow were widely used to lubricate locomotive and steamship engines at least until the 1950's. Tallow is used in the steel rolling industry to provide the required lubrication as the sheet steel is compressed through the steel rollers.
Medicinal
In Germany, deer tallow ("Hirschtalg") is commonly used as a base ingredient in salves.
Food
Before switching to pure vegetable oil in 1990, the McDonald's corporation cooked its french fries in a mixture of 93% beef tallow and 7% cottonseed oil.
Other uses
Tallow can also be used as flux for soldering.
It is also the primary ingredient in some leather conditioners.
Holy shit... We're dealing with one hell of an incredibly versatile animal by-product here.

It is at this point that I would encourage discussion to commence. Now that its real-world applications are known, how might they be applied to the various additions this mod already provides, and what brand new mechanisms might its early inclusion herald?

I'll start us off with something I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Conditioned Leather anyone? Maybe a different avenue of production towards Tanned Leather, sans the Mill Stone?

[By the way, I would be more than happy to accumulate a comprehensive list of what has already been speculated by the many great patrons of this forum, if requested. =D ]
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Tallow: Greasy Herald of Greater Things To Come

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
That! That statement, right there, is why my head is spinning over this Tallow business. =D

Oh FC, you magnificent sunuvaflowa... What terrible machinations hath thee wrought this time?
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

It is solid at room temperature
Can you imagine a solid tallow block, that when a fire is lit under it (or near) turns to a liquid? Then when the fire is put out, that liquid ( the source block anyways) reverts back to a solid? Hrmmm lots of posibilities there... :P
Or as an alternative, once melted is has the ability spread thin along the ground, then solidifies that way. I dont really know how exactly something like that would work, or what kind of contraptions people could come up with, but I think it's an interesting idea.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

diegokilla wrote:
Can you imagine a solid tallow block, that when a fire is lit under it (or near) turns to a liquid? Then when the fire is put out, that liquid ( the source block anyways) reverts back to a solid? Hrmmm lots of posibilities there... :P
Or as an alternative, once melted is has the ability spread thin along the ground, then solidifies that way. I dont really know how exactly something like that would work, or what kind of contraptions people could come up with, but I think it's an interesting idea.
Yeah screw ice floes for speedy item transport. Now we can use Tallow right? Haha, I don't know about that, but I'm excited to see what we'll use it for.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

diegokilla wrote:
This is a function I hadn't even remotely considered, kudos to your brain. Sweet tap-dancing Jebus the possibilities...

Maybe if applied to a surface in such a manner, it could increase the 'slipperiness' (of said surface) to near or that of Ice. It could give a whole new meaning to the term "Grease Trap."

Interesting...
IrishBandit

Post by IrishBandit »

TheHoboHunted wrote:Early in the development of steam-driven piston engines the hot vapors and liquids washed away most lubricants very quickly. It was soon found that tallow was quite resistant to this washing. Tallow, and compounds including tallow were widely used to lubricate locomotive and steamship engines at least until the 1950's. Tallow is used in the steel rolling industry to provide the required lubrication as the sheet steel is compressed through the steel rollers.
And we just got the ability to make steel...
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

And a little while ago, we happened to get rollers...
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

sheet steel huh?

sounds like that's going to be our new armour the panels/moulding of the new age.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

I could definitely see some iteration of sheet steel coming into play at some point during the looming Industrial revolution. Steve'll probably need to come up with a heftier set of Rollers than our current wooden variety to get the job done in any satisfactory manner however. Perhaps some kind of Roller/Pressing/Casting system/mechanism in the works? Would love to see some steel armor molding and/or paneling.