Table Based Shelving

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Table Based Shelving

Post by FlowerChild »

So, I was just putting some work into the sub-blocks for the mod in order to finalize them, and I made an interesting discovery:
Spoiler
Show
I adjusted the dimensions and texture of the wood table legs to make that happen, but it should currently work with nether brick sub-blocks and fences with the last release.

I need to remember to keep the dimensions of block components to standardized values as it lends itself to this kind of multi-block aesthetic construction.

Anyways, just thought I'd share :)
Gormador

Re: Table Based Shelving

Post by Gormador »

That's nice !
And they say you don't do aesthetic... !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Hehe, Home Improvement :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

That looks awesome! I never would have thought of that!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Always the little things that make the biggest impacts. This looks awesome FC :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:That looks awesome! I never would have thought of that!
Well, I was considering expanding the Table functionality to allow for this kind of thing (basically when you stack two tables, have the bottom turn into a leg of the top), but was worried about it messing with existing builds, plus it would eliminate a degree of flexibility with regards to using Tables for other aesthetic purposes if they auto-adjusted in that way.

So, I was playing around with different things when I had a "wait a minute...there's already central vertical blocks that could be used as legs in the game" moment :)

Instead, I may be expanding the sub-blocks to provide fences for each of the different block types. I still have a bit of wiggle room in metadata where I may be able to do that without any additional blockIDs, and I feel having that kind of block in different types opens up a huge number of aesthetic possibilities like this.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Must admit, I don't think there's such thing as too many fence types. That would double as a nice rain-shelter kind of structure too, or something for a theoretical stable.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I think I'm beginning to see the problem with how other mods handle sub-blocks, as compared to what BTW does.

MC is kinda like Lego, in that part of the fun of building stuff with it, is figuring out how to use the blocks at your disposal to create the look that you are going for. This adds an element of logic puzzle on top of creating something, as opposed to say just working with clay where you can shape it into whatever you want. It also contributes to community, as when someone figures out a neat looking way of doing something, everybody appreciates it.

Thus, if you have a totally free-form sub-block system, you largely lose that aspect of the game. People can just create whatever shapes they want, so there's not a huge amount of thinking that they have to do to get the look they're going for.

So, I think having a range of primitive shapes is actually a stronger design decision in terms of gameplay.

Granted, I didn't plan it out this way, but now looking back at it in retrospect, I'm quite happy with the way the mod's sub-blocks turned out for this reason. There's a great deal of versatility in them, but they don't go so far as to eliminate the problem solving aspect inherent in aesthetic construction within MC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup...I think the above represents a recognition of a crucial aspect of MC's design with regards to why aesthetic building is so much fun in it, and why I've always had a "meh" reaction to sub-block implementations in other mods.

It's basically just a variant on my general "constraints breed creativity", but I've never really though about it in the aesthetic context before.

I'm glad I finally recognized that as it will likely play a crucial role in the design of RTH. In basically designing things from the ground up, I'll make sure to provide people with interlocking primitive shapes that can be used for creative aesthetic applications, and apply that to the visual design of each and every block in the mod. By "interlocking" I'm referring to what happens with the Tables and fences above. Basically, coming up with a standardized set of block measurements to apply to all their parts to maximize the creative potential in being able to use them in combination. Kinda like how the "nubs" on lego blocks serve the same purpose.

With regards to the current sub-blocks in BTW, I think I've finalized my plans for them. I have two metadata values left, and I'll be using them for fences for every block that has sub-blocks (and there's a couple more in the next release), and "Stools" which are basically half-height tables (in other words, the slab equivalent of a table).

Anyways, this should all be done for the next release. I was originally planning on putting that out today, but as usual, in working on it my plans became a little bigger than I had originally anticipated :)
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm glad I finally recognized that as it will likely play a crucial role in the design of RTH. In basically designing things from the ground up, I'll make sure to provide people with interlocking primitive shapes that can be used for creative aesthetic applications, and apply that to the visual design of each and every block in the mod.
Have I mentioned how much I love you lately? Cause I do. Of course it might just be my tentacle fetish.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Man, I remember the video where you used the Home Improvement saw to demonstrate your wood microblocks. Good times.

I've been using siding and moulding to do something very like this. Having a simpler option is going to be sweet.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Man, I remember the video where you used the Home Improvement saw to demonstrate your wood microblocks. Good times.
Hehe...yeah, that's the same Saw that's been sitting there ever since. As I often say, I love having these bits of history laying around my world :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: "constraints breed creativity"
And this is why I feel that indie games and portable (DS, tablet etc) games are usually much more interesting than mainstream AAA pc and xbox/ps3 games :P

Also the very reason why I feel older games were usually more fun, where as modern games often feel kinda boring.

And this applies in game music too. How many of you remember the full blown orchestral score of a modern game, as opposed to the pretty limited sonic or mario scores of the 16 bit era? ;]

Anyway, besides the off topic, I'm very glad you realised this, because coming up with new and inventive ways of using what we have has always been a huge draw of minecraft :]

Too many specialized blocks and part of that fun is gone, while more basic and abstract shapes breeds creativity :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

O.O
Time to renovate my storage facility...
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Too many specialized blocks and part of that fun is gone, while more basic and abstract shapes breeds creativity :]
Yup, absolutely. I think the realization I've made here can be summed up another way by saying "too much variety discourages creativity".

I've been putting a lot of thought into this tonight, as to the gaming motivations behind aesthetic creation in MC, and how I can apply them to RTH. In planning the creation of a new world, I think it has me thinking more about these kinds of aspects which weren't my primary focus in developing BTW.

Anyways, it's a very exciting time for me to have all these subjects running through my head and to be able to start with somewhat of a clean slate. It allows me to really take a look at MC at a fundamental level and analyze what works and what doesn't.

It's kinda got me thinking along the lines of "what defines a block, and what makes it good?" :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I have to say, it is very refreshing to see you on the positive (proactive) side of creativity again, rather than the negative (reactive) side of "duh, how do I fix this".
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

As Kid I loved Lego
Today I love you for being my Mr. Lego

Thank you so much for all your work you put in this great mod!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I have to say, it is very refreshing to see you on the positive (proactive) side of creativity again, rather than the negative (reactive) side of "duh, how do I fix this".
Most refreshing for me, I suspect :)

Yeah, the reactive bit was dragging me down man, and it only looked like it was going to get worse in the future.
DigitalAristotle217

Post by DigitalAristotle217 »

The Lord of Brick wrote:O.O
Time to renovate my storage facility...
I seem to find myself doing that at least once a week. Time to expand it and make it prettier AGAIN.
But in all seriousness, I don't think I could have ever thought of that myself. You genius, FC, you. [Note: not sucking up because this is my first post ;)]