Riveter's BTW re-texture requests

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rasuth

Re: Riveter's BTW re-texture requests

Post by Rasuth »

The Stone/Cobble combo looks awesome. I just have the feeling the stone texture is actually too smooth bright (little contrast to the brigtht wood might be good). Anyway, amazing what you came up with so far.

Doors and windows look great as well. This really is something else. (Bear in mind I do not look at many texture packs, so may opinion is far from professional.)
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Riveter wrote: I wanted to get peoples opinions on the stone/cobble texture I came up with..

Keeping pic as its a new page and that is just to nice not to see again. You have found a way to avoid the *NOW COBBLE BLOCK* line that shows up when the two types of stone are next to each other. I am guessing you are going to have a few versions for cobble (odd shapes/ oblong / dildos) so this sentence asking for alts is a complete waste, keep up the good work.

2cents:
On thing that gets to me is when texture packs stray a little to far from the original idea of a block / item and I no longer have instant recognition of said block/ item , I end up having to modify files (which is a bitch to do for environmental blocks). As you are big on alt blocks please remember the purists and try to add options that blend in with original textures or at least give a nod to them.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Riveter wrote:I'm working on the terrain.png more than I expected to. The BTW stuff uses more references than I remember. I wanted to get peoples opinions on the stone/cobble texture I came up with, as I'll have to match quite a few textures to it. it's a basic noise texture like Glimmar uses, I like the clean look of it. I'm not sure what tint will work with the color scheme I've got going.
There's also a look as some of the ideas I have for the doors/windows.
-snip-
Not so sure about the curly motifs on the doors/windows, but loving the colours so far. This is going to look great when it's done methinks.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

@the fodder
That's one of the things that bugged me the most in almost every texture pack. I'd dig out a greyish block then suddenly I'm holding a purple block with a completely different texture.

I know what you mean about straying from the iconic blocks. I'm trying to keep the game looking like Minecraft and have the blocks be instantly recognizable.

@Rasuth
That's exactly what I thought. It's too smooth. I'll add more texture but try to keep the lightness.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

That's really nice. Unlike a lot of texture packs the cobble and smoothstone blend really well, and with everything being nice and light it looks a lot more liveable that it would with the darker textures a lot of packs are fond of.

Would switch to your pack in a heartbeat if you made a 128px version, but I realise they take a lot more time, and this is a work in progress.

Thanks for showing us your progress as you go too, it's great seeing it all come together.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

gftweek wrote:
Would switch to your pack in a heartbeat if you made a 128px version, but I realise they take a lot more time, and this is a work in progress.

Thanks for showing us your progress as you go too, it's great seeing it all come together.
Thanks! I think the problem I would run into with a high-res version is the temptation to copy-paste real world textures rather than make my own. I know it can be done well, but most of the fun I have doing this is learning how to make my own textures. Once you get started, it's really addicting!

@Stormweaver
The spirals are mostly place-holders until I get rid of Glimmar's stuff. I needed an easy flourish to throw in there, lol.
With wrought iron being mostly black, it will be interesting to see what I can come up with to edge some of the blocks.
Any suggestions are welcome!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

i agree with gftweek the swirls are a bit, strange mostly on the door, im sure i might like it on the glass eventually, i also feel that you need to darken the stone a bit, but what do i know, i dont texture stuff
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

@Riveter good to hear.. liking this texture pack more and more. btw what are your feeling about outlining your items with a black line?

please say rage
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

the_fodder wrote:@Riveter good to hear.. liking this texture pack more and more. btw what are your feeling about outlining your items with a black line?
please say rage
Haha! I just tried to get rid of it yesterday. It looked funky because the items weren't made with that design in mind so i switched back. I think the best compromise is a dark grey. I changed the tone on most of the items I'm using and it helps keep them outlined for visual purpose without looking cartoony. I've used a couple packs that didn't have outlines and it just looked weird to me. I think its because there are so many textures on the screen at once. I needed a border to break them up.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Looks nice Riveter :-)

The curly details on the doors & glass could be changed to an arrow motif (ie thick triangle sorta deal); i'm not sure but it might seem more "medieval" like that.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Looks nice Riveter :-)

The curly details on the doors & glass could be changed to an arrow motif (ie thick triangle sorta deal); i'm not sure but it might seem more "medieval" like that.
I agree with this ^

I do kinda like the redstone look. It really reiterates the fact that redstone is not actually electronic, it's magic :D

This TP is really starting to look nice!
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

diegokilla wrote:
Flesh_Engine wrote:Looks nice Riveter :-)

I agree with this ^

I do kinda like the redstone look. It really reiterates the fact that redstone is not actually electronic, it's magic :D

This TP is really starting to look nice!
Thanks for the feedback! The redstone is from the Arcane texture pack. I really like it though, so I'll basically do the same thing, but make my own designs.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

I'm trying to keep this thread BTW focused, but I had to post my latest workbench. I think I'll be using this one for awhile.
I'll probably end with a couple different side detail files.
You'll have to paste it into your terrain.png obviously. I should have a basic terrain file done by next week. I'm trying to get rid of all the borrowed textures I've been using.

ImageImage
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Wow This Is Amazing!! But I have a question... Since Flower is switching to the single sprite texture thingamajob (like how the current Minecraft texture sprite works) how do we (when you are fully finished the pack) add the pack to the game... do we use MCPatcher like regularly or what...??

#noobquestions
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

When it goes to one sheet, all the BTW textures have to be moved to their proper positions on the BTW sheet, either by the pack maker or the end user (requires slight skill with something like Paint.net, GIMP, or Photoshop (not MS Paint, it doesn't support transparency)). You'd have to pull the textures out of the .zip the pack is in, make a new .png of the proper dimensions (dependent on how FC is laying the textures out and the resolution of your pack), drop them in, save the .png with the proper name (whatever the name is when you apply BTW to your .jar), and add it into the .zip with the same structure as it would be if it was in the .jar (for example, the creeper's skin is in minecraft.jar/mob/creeper.png, so it would be found at texturepack.zip/mob/creeper.png in the pack).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

magikeh wrote:Wow This Is Amazing!! But I have a question... Since Flower is switching to the single sprite texture thingamajob (like how the current Minecraft texture sprite works) how do we (when you are fully finished the pack) add the pack to the game... do we use MCPatcher like regularly or what...??

#noobquestions
Well, when this happens, BTW texturepack authors (like Riveter) will likely do what all other texturepack authors do for texturepacks that change terrain.png: Make their own version of the whole sheet, and put it in a zip which can just be put in the texturepacks folder like usual. If you were trying to use an older TP that still used the separate files for each texture, then you would have to do the process of making your own sheet yourself, until the TP author did the conversion, which is what Katalliaan described in the previous post.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

diegokilla wrote: I do kinda like the redstone look. It really reiterates the fact that redstone is not actually electronic, it's magic :D

First time I have made that connection, and it is so true. Kind of like rune stone or maybe celtic knots

Also digging the table with the blueprints on it, have you tried it a little off center or does that just look funny? (alt color scheme to give it the feeling Da Vinci's sketch)

May I request a creeper shaped peep hole in the door?
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

the_fodder wrote:
diegokilla wrote: I do kinda like the redstone look. It really reiterates the fact that redstone is not actually electronic, it's magic :D

First time I have made that connection, and it is so true. Kind of like rune stone or maybe celtic knots

Also digging the table with the blueprints on it, have you tried it a little off center or does that just look funny? (alt color scheme to give it the feeling Da Vinci's sketch)

May I request a creeper shaped peep hole in the door?
On it now! Off-centering the blue print would only work so far, as the textures flip between both sides, the blueprint would have to only hang off one edge. Re-coloring is a snap though.

I can't wait until FC gets the BTW texture.png made! That will open so many options for custom textures and make working with them much easier. Having to match the MC terrain.png to BTW is kind of a pain. It will be a snap to just copy/paste these onto it.
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Door is going to have to wait until tomorrow, It's late and I don't want to rush it.
However, I did some work on the table. I originally just changed the color of the blueprint to match the DaVinci drawings, but it ended up looking like a doily.
So I did a drawing of my own...
ImageImage
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

This is fantastic. How haven't I wandered into here before?

Either way, love most of it, though I do agree that the spirals on the doors and windows are a bit queer. With an accent such as that, you'd think that it would be associated with the redstone (which I saw had a hint of spirals in it), but clearly it doesn't in game, so maybe that's why it looks a tad bit strange. But other than that, it's fairly lovely.

Also, what is that steampunk texture from in the earlier pictures, if you don't mind me asking? (I absolutely adore those hibachis)

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

KWilt wrote: Also, what is that steampunk texture from in the earlier pictures, if you don't mind me asking? (I absolutely adore those hibachis)
That would be Glimmar's Steampunk. I'm a big fan, been following it since last October.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

I don't have much to add just "keep up the good work". One of nicest texture packs I have encountered.
@Glimmar's pack - some in it blocks are really nice (I love the smooth stone) but I dislike most "technical" textures like furnaces and so on. And the GUI is abysmal (IMO obviously).
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:I don't have much to add just "keep up the good work". One of nicest texture packs I have encountered.
@Glimmar's pack - some in it blocks are really nice (I love the smooth stone) but I dislike most "technical" textures like furnaces and so on. And the GUI is abysmal (IMO obviously).
Thanks! The best part of Glimmar's Pack (Imo) is the stone/grass outdoor textures. I find most of the machine textures too busy, but there a few gems hidden in the extras pack he assembled. I'm using the GUI from John Smith for now, but tonight I'm going to be working on my own GUI.

Creeper DoorImage
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Riveter wrote:The best part of Glimmar's Pack (Imo) is the stone/grass outdoor textures. I find most of the machine textures too busy
Exactly my point.

About the door - I'm not sure, the light grey nails/screws/rivets in the dark border around the creeper face looks screwy to me, it seems blurry at first look.

Also BtW saw is a buzz-saw it should have teeth on the sides of he blade too, just like the original texture does. Of course if you prefer it being the way is it's fine, it's your texture after all.
EDIT: Quick edit. Could you try this and post screenshot how it looks?
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Riveter wrote:The best part of Glimmar's Pack (Imo) is the stone/grass outdoor textures. I find most of the machine textures too busy
Exactly my point.

About the door - I'm not sure, the light grey nails/screws/rivets in the dark border around the creeper face looks screwy to me, it seems blurry at first look.

Also BtW saw is a buzz-saw it should have teeth on the sides of he blade too, just like the original texture does. Of course if you prefer it being the way is it's fine, it's your texture after all.
EDIT: Quick edit. Could you try this and post screenshot how it looks?
I've tried making the teeth go all the way around, and there is a part of the texture that I can't find that needs to be made transparent to look right. The way its originally made is with white squares where the teeth are. The way I made it they are transparent. Using your texture will give the "sides" of the blade a white edge. I don't mind the flat sides, it gives the blade a "back-and-forth" look rather than spinning. If you had a square blade, that's what you would have to work with!

I'll tone down the rivets and see what I get. Thanks again for the feedback, suggestions like that are exactly why I post here!