New Release! (BTW V4.31)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sandaman

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.31)

Post by Sandaman »

WOOT
this is awesome. Thank you Flowerchild.
The I always revered to the cauldron as cauldron. I didn#t even know it had another name ;D
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Wow FC, you certainly know how to impress! Heh, I certainly wasn't expecting an update when I logged on today, but I sure am glad to see it. gj

tbh, I kinda like how you removed gold nuggets from pigmen drops. Now if you want a gold farm you must have a working crucible in order to harvest said resource.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
userzero

Post by userzero »

Woot, looks like a lot of good stuff added in. Minecraft is not worth playing without this mod. To think I was actually planning on getting some work done tonight.

"Cistern", I love that. It conveys just the right amount of well deserved contempt.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Yay! Thanks FC!
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just uploaded 4.31b to fix a server-side bug with crafting GUIs not working for mod blocks:

Download Link

Note: You ONLY need this new version if you're running a server. The client works just fine as is, and is not at all changed from the previous version.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:I just uploaded 4.31b to fix a server-side bug with crafting GUIs not working for mod blocks:
Just wanted to confirm this is working fine, tested the GUI's as well. Sorry for posting over on the bug report, I even pasted the wrong log.

Also, new gearbox and millstone sounds are amazing. Very fitting. They seem to give off a more "modern" sound. And while I was writing this a cow died in my breeder. Jesus those new saw sounds are scary.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: Just wanted to confirm this is working fine, tested the GUI's as well. Sorry for posting over on the bug report, I even pasted the wrong log.
Thanks for the confirmation man! I really hate having to put out those emergency-fixes, so it's always good to have verification on them :)
embirrim wrote: Also, new gearbox and millstone sounds are amazing. Very fitting. They seem to give off a more "modern" sound. And while I was writing this a cow died in my breeder. Jesus those new saw sounds are scary.
New Gear Box sounds? I didn't put in any new sounds for Gear boxes man :)

And yeah, I love the new Mill Stone thing. That minecart sound Mojang added is extremely versatile for anything mechanical with a bit of pitch modification.

That was rather good timing actually, considering they also removed the old explosion sounds I was previously using :)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote: New Gear Box sounds? I didn't put in any new sounds for Gear boxes man :)

And yeah, I love the new Mill Stone thing. That minecart sound Mojang added is extremely versatile for anything mechanical with a bit of pitch modification.

That was rather good timing actually, considering they also removed the old explosion sounds I was previously using :)
Uhm, I was in an area with nothing but millstones and gearboxes, figured it came from both. And in my head gearboxes still used the old explosion sounds, which if I'm not mistaken was changed to the "creaking" sounds not so long ago.

New vanilla sounds are pretty good, as far as I've seen, yes.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

I almost cracked a rib when I read the new vanilla anvil name. Keep up the great work FlowerChild!
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

FlowerChild wrote: Well, I'm probably not done with the vanilla 1.4 additions either. I've yet to spawn a Wither and build a beacon (need to build a Nether-fortress mob trap first), and I suspect I'll want to make a number of changes to the beacons at the very least :)
I went to my nether mob trap to see if it will spawn wither skeletons and, there were just so many wild blazes around. I guess in 1.4 they can spawn anywhere in the nether. They were even spawning in side of my stone brick base and on my stone and nethergroth mob-proof nether. Dangerous stuff.

The new name for the vanilla anvil is pretty kick ass :P
And I'm loving the new millstone sound, its really making my base feel like a factory :)
I can't wait to see what else you have planned.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
earthling

Post by earthling »

Hello to everyone here, FC in particular!:)

After taking the minecraft plunge a couple months ago, BTW is the mod that stood out to me. Thank you for giving my Steve an array of sensible stuff to strive for and work with.;)

*runs off into the wild blue yonder*
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

Why Mojang doesn't at least ask your advice on game design, I have no idea. Hell. They should pay you. You actually make their game playable.

Anyways, love the new update. Love the new name for the anvil. If I could, I'd give you a nice big man hug, but my arms can't go through the screen.

One question though: Why did you decide to remove all functionality from the anvil? Was it because it was going to be too much of a pain to remove the game breaking aspects of it, or was there some other reason for it?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Arandia wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:[T]here was still significant work to do to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the game :\
Ya... of course, that is a different thing altogether from saying "bringing it up to the standard of the rest of BTW". I hope you go for the latter, because the former... is frankly starting to smell.

Thanks again for the hard work on an excellent mod.
These are analogous, are they not? MC is not a game without BTW. Thanks for all your hardwork, and for making the aforementioned statement true.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ReaperT wrote:One question though: Why did you decide to remove all functionality from the anvil? Was it because it was going to be too much of a pain to remove the game breaking aspects of it, or was there some other reason for it?
It seriously messes with the balance of the game/mod man. BTW already has its own (much more costly) functionality for combining enchantments and performing item repairs. Renaming stuff is ok I guess, but it's also an entirely extraneous feature, and getting rid of that while preserving the rest would be a real pain in the ass.

The game didn't need it, and I no longer have the patience to constantly rebalance for more and more poorly conceived vanilla additions. As I mentioned awhile ago now, my new default policy is that if I don't like something, I just rip it out instead of letting it cause me undue stress.

I'm not willing to code-branch, but I'm basically design-branching at this point. Vanilla is going its own way, and I'm going another.
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

FlowerChild wrote: -snip-
I'm not willing to code-branch, but I'm basically design-branching at this point. Vanilla is going its own way, and I'm going another.
Good to know. Especially since vanilla is falling down a deep hole and is about to fall into the void cause its glitching through bedrock.
chai

Post by chai »

There I was, not planning to play any Minecraft today, when all of a sudden this release happens. Guess I'll be updating to 1.4.2 & 4.31 tonight after all! I'm looking forward to finding out how the changes play. Thanks, FlowerChild, for the continuing hard work and inspired design. If it weren't for your excellent work, I'd have lost interest in the game long ago (in fact, I had done so until I found the mod), and my Minecraft would *not* be updated tonight, but would still be languishing at...I dunno, a lower version number, untouched in ages.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

Just got off an extra long Sunday shift and what do I find? What a perfect conclusion to my evening.

Thank you, Flowerchild!
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I've never had to do this before...I present to you 4.31c:

Download Link

Which resolves the following problems:

-Fixed problem with SMP servers crashing if started without a world loaded.
-Fixed soft-crash bug when killing a mob with your fist.
-Fixed bug with mod-block GUIs not opening in SMP.

Hopefully, that will be the last emergency fix. I'd prefer not to set any further records ;)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I only started calling it a "stew pot" recently now I'm going to have to change back ;)
This hell to mojang approach is creating some great results. Time to update and get some skulls.

Thanks.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Three releases on one day, man! How do you do it? ;)
Chupacabra

Post by Chupacabra »

It's always great to see another BTW update come out. Thanks for all the hard effort you put into this mod! It gives my life something interesting to look forward to when things get too dull and I just want to play with a saw.
Following the light of the Sun, we left the Old World
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Three releases on one day, man! How do you do it? ;)
With stress and aggravation :)

I really hate it when that happens. Having it happen twice just isn't any fun at all.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:Three releases on one day, man! How do you do it? ;)
With stress and aggravation :)

I really hate it when that happens. Having it happen twice just isn't any fun at all.
I would imagine so, but you put out the fix with a few minutes, many other mods wait weeks or more with withstanding bugs in them. Just more proof the BTW is something special.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: I would imagine so, but you put out the fix with a few minutes, many other mods wait weeks or more with withstanding bugs in them. Just more proof the BTW is something special.
Hehe...thanks, I do appreciate that. I guess there's not much I could have done to prevent these occurring on my own as each of them were the result of rather non-standard circumstances (well, except the GUI thing...I feel I should have caught that one).

It's not like I can make punching mobs to death a regular part of my testing procedure for each release :)

Anyways, releasing with bugs is something I just despise doing, I guess as part of my leftover professional tendencies from my career. I always try to resolve that as quickly as I can.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: I really hate it when that happens. Having it happen twice just isn't any fun at all.
Well, that's a first. But like I love to say, "Une fois n'est pas coutume."
And thanks for the quickfixes. Didn't even have time to continue my world that you had fixed everything. Nicely done.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.