Automatic Kiln

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
bmanfoley

Automatic Kiln

Post by bmanfoley »

Not as "automatic" as some people in the 2.91 discussion thread were looking for, but it makes production of pottery a bit easier
Battosay

Re: Automatic Kiln

Post by Battosay »

Nice use of the Detector and the BD, well done :)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Good job! I'm trying to make it so that you throw a clay block in a water stream, and the output is all three types of baked pottery, but the timing is complicated.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

HavokScout, would you be willing to PM me with a world link of anything you have so far? I'm curious to see what you're working on and I'm eager to help. Also, just FYI, throwing in only 1 clay block will only yield one of the three types of pottery :P. You'd need to put in 3 clay blocks
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I understand that, and I did have a breakthrough, but it's hard to explain. I'll get that world in a sec.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

I think i know how to get the automatic Kiln going:

Place a Block Dispenser on top of a Turntable which is next to the pottery-turning turntable. Both are set to the same turning speed. Place another block on top of the Block Dispenser and use a redstone torch so we can get the required redstone wiring to detect where it is facing.

Another BD can be used to place the clay on the Turntable. Because we have a torch on top of the BD, we can also track how many rotations we have been through.

Use another set of buttons to assign "duration". This will need to set a counter to stop the cycle after x number of rotations. The cycle will work thus:

1: Clay Block is placed on the turntable.
2: Wait for one rotation.
3: full rotation triggered. If this is the required amount of rotations, continue to step 4 otherwise continue rotating.
4: At this stage, Block dispenser MUST face the pottery. Block dispenser collects unfinished pottery.
5: System continues to rotate until BD is facing kiln. BD now PLACES the Pottery inside of kiln.
6: System waits until Pottery is cooked. Once cooked, collect via whatever means you want (water flow would work well too).

Once i finish my over designed slime/mob harvester i am doing this :)
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

I have a few ideas based on the combination of water flows, turntables and BDs, but we'll see how it goes. I also want to make a pottery workshop, but the turntables there will be a fair bit slower to account for human inadequacy. The automated ones should be able to work properly spinning at the 0.5 speed.

For some reason, I also had ideas on making a giant binary clock while thinking about making myself an automatic kiln, so I think I'll do that later.

Loving the recently discovered uses of BDs as counters and flops.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

This is using some of the idears on this thread . I would only make one alteration to this Maby to make the Top of the kiln move down if a Dector block sees the poterat. And move up after it is baked but that might be imposible.

( i cant make vids so here is the file ) I use a couple of mods that you probably don't So open chests at your own RISK
Spoiler
Show
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cdd6bab ... _Wolfs.zip
This is my auto kiln Clay goes in Pots or crucibles comes out ( seting one or two on the potters wheeal .
[EDIT] i have made a catch for the loose caly that is spun off the wheel ( not in above save )

[EDIT 2]
Fracture wrote:I have a few ideas based on the combination of water flows, turntables and BDs, but we'll see how it goes. I also want to make a pottery workshop, but the turntables there will be a fair bit slower to account for human inadequacy. The automated ones should be able to work properly spinning at the 0.5 speed.

For some reason, I also had ideas on making a giant binary clock while thinking about making myself an automatic kiln, so I think I'll do that later.

Loving the recently discovered uses of BDs as counters and flops.
off topic this is the clock i made with turntable counter system i am making a smaller more compact one ATM
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=249
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

BigShinyToys wrote: off topic this is the clock i made with turntable counter system i am making a smaller more compact one ATM
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=249
Yeah, but cool as it is, the wiring for a digital clock is fairly large. A binary block, however, would be compact, simple, and require just one single turntable. Given that they're kind of a pain to set though, and I have no real use for a real-time clock in MC, it'll likely just be another pretty gadget and double as a stopwatch.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Fracture wrote:Yeah, but cool as it is, the wiring for a digital clock is fairly large. A binary block, however, would be compact, simple, and require just one single turntable. Given that they're kind of a pain to set though, and I have no real use for a real-time clock in MC, it'll likely just be another pretty gadget and double as a stopwatch.
What is a Binary Block ?? myclock uses counters that output in binary and then a decoder to Convert it to the correct segments on the seceen.

[EDIT]
HavokSCOUT wrote:I think I have the wiring tested for the totally automatic kiln, where you put in clay blocks, set it to which pot you want, and press the button. Now all I have to do is implement the wiring into a small space.
This is the Way my one work's You place clay blocks in the First dispenser it places them on the turntable . that makes it into a pot or crucible then the second Dispenser Picks it up turns around places it in a kiln that the top of the kiln closes Blocking the water form flowing into the kiln. the kiln fires the pot then opens And the water flow Pushed out the finished pot Into a hopper .
[/EDIT]
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I think I have the wiring tested for the totally automatic kiln, where you put in clay blocks, set it to which pot you want, and press the button. Now all I have to do is implement the wiring into a small space.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

BigShinyToys wrote: What is a Binary Block ??
Don't worry, I'll show you when I'm done. They're really cool little devices, and fun to use when people who don't understand binary are around.

And yeah, the main reason it'll be more compressed is that it won't need a decoder at all, it'll accept pure binary notation from the 2-counters.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fracture wrote:
BigShinyToys wrote: What is a Binary Block ??
Don't worry, I'll show you when I'm done. They're really cool little devices, and fun to use when people who don't understand binary are around.

And yeah, the main reason it'll be more compressed is that it won't need a decoder at all, it'll accept pure binary notation from the 2-counters.
the thing is, a decoder could probably be set up easily enough with one BD controlling each segment - '8' can be done directly, making up for the 9-state limitation BDs have - and the inputs can all come from one multiplication counter. I imagine the whole thing could probably fit in a box behind the actual display.

I'd give it a go, but 1) I never actually finish big projects, and 2) I don't like tools such as TMI :s Automatic kilns though...that's something I'm going to have to do. Probably start with something somewhat semi-automatic for now though; don't want to risk wasting clay :3
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Finally finished the kiln.:D If you put in a clay block, you can select what type of pottery to produce, and you push a button and the machine makes it. I have some timing bugs to work out, but its already made a crucible.

EDIT: Timing fixed. Now it will successfully make the displayed pot.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

make a thread about that. I'm so eager to see it :D
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I'd reallllly love it if someone with video recording software could walk through the Kiln, since my computer was made for business and not fun and can't record with fraps.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

I can do it!
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Thanks, lets continue this in PM.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

bmanfoley,

How did you set up the automatic piston for the kiln? I get the turntables, no problem, though the varying heights for axles/gearboxes has got to be a pain and probably requires huge floor space, but I can work with that. But I was under the impression that the entire space around the cooking center had to be brick (except for the front) for the kiln. So did you use a BD somehow and I just am not envisioning the kiln design correctly, or is there a timer in there that is triggered somehow when you place the unfinished pottery piece?
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

If you look closely, there is a detector block on the right, inner side of the kiln. That detects when a piece of pottery is placed. it sends out a signal which is immediately inverted and un-powers a BD behind it. The detector block is removed, so the pulse ends, and the BD places a brick where the detector block was. the pottery cooks, while a long signal delay is activated (the length of the pottery cooking time). when the pulse returns, the pottery should be done, and so I have a simple, horizontal piston setup to push the drop out (explained at the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_GzI-dFlvE). the signal is further delayed as to not interfere with the pistons, then sends another inverted pulse to the BD, replacing the detector block.

Also, keep in mind that only 3 out of 4 sides of the pottery you're cooking have to be brick. Not outer corners, that's just for decoration usually. You could have a minimal setup like this, looking at it horizontally:

[X] [X]
[P]
[X] [X]

where B is brick, P is the pottery item, and X is any block you choose, including air. Also, there has to be 1 brick behind the pottery.
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Thanks, bman! I watched it again and got the sense of the extra movement in the kiln, so that makes sense. I imagine that the redstone wiring behind the wall for that thing has got to be cumbersome!

I had the misfortune of rolling up a new world to go completely legit (only somnia with BTW) that I always keep on at least normal difficulty right before 2.9 came out. It's kept me from tinkering with clay yet, but I'm slowly gathering what I need and now that I know how to use all the BTW elements, it's letting me plan much better. I just need to figure out how to handle the behind the wall space requirements that automating pottery will introduce!
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

I kept most wiring underground. That wall where the brick is has a 5 block space extending out behind it. that includes a wall to conceal everything. I probably am not making much sense xD. I was planning on making a tutorial video soon, or at least a "behind the scenes"
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

How'd you like the kiln, Bman? ;)
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Assuming you're referring to your's, I like it. I've been working on recording and editing a video of it. One issue to point out, though, is that when the clay is spun, a lot of clay balls tend to fly all over the place, rather than down into the hopper. You may want to close up some corners of the bricks where you can
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Here's my automated Kiln in action :)