Annother Narrative Style Thanks

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Splee999

Annother Narrative Style Thanks

Post by Splee999 »

Today I was playing around on Jade's server. As I'm just getting started, I was exploring a cave that I had recently breached as I was mining. As I continued through the cave, I found a large chamber with several valuable resources scattered throughout it.

However, as I mined the ores, I noticed that one side of the room had a faint light coming from it. Exploring the light, I found my chamber opened up into a large chasm, filled with torches. After exploring the chasm, and finding nothing valuable, nor any obvious exits or entrances the explorer may have used, I discreetly walled off my little chamber.

As I walked back to my base, suddenly, I heard the scratch of a shovel on dirt. Frantically, I paused the music that I was listening to and stood still. After a minute, I figured I had misheard the beat of my music, and started to walk out of the chamber. Just as I was leaving, suddenly I heard it again, the scratch of dirt, and the thunk of stone being mined. Again, I lunged across my desk to kill the music, and stood still. Hearing another thunk, I walked around my cave. As I walked, I figured it out: I had discovered someone's block dispenser timer that was placing and removing blocks.

In an instant, I began tearing at the walls of my cavity, constantly hearing the occasional sound of a block being placed and removed. As I dug, I realized I had strayed from the noise, and began ripping at a new section of the cave. All the time I was guided by the steady heartbeat of the timer.

After fifteen fruitless minutes of digging, I was beginning to become frustrated. As soon as it seemed I was getting close to my goal, the noise would disappear. Disappointed, I began the long walk home. As I walked, I hadn't turned my music back on. As I transitioned to a part of the cave that had a dirt floor, I jumped as the steady beat of Steve's footfalls became a scratching scrape on the dirt.

And then it hit me - I had been chasing my own footfalls for a half hour.

Thanks to Flowerchild's awesome mod, I have had the most fun I've had in Minecraft for a while, as I spent tense minutes searching for the perceived threat. Thanks also to Jade for hosting the only public truly anarchy-style server I know of.
Mason11987

Re: Annother Narrative Style Thanks

Post by Mason11987 »

Great read!

I was hoping you'd stumbled across a base though.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Mason11987 wrote:Great read!

I was hoping you'd stumbled across a base though.
So was I... :(
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Haha, that's funny :D
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Six

Post by Six »

Seriously, I'm not quite sure how the footstep sounds are placed, but I'm almost certain it's not centered on Steve. Since I wear headphones, I constantly find myself spinning around at my own footsteps, expecting to see an approaching zombie or creeper.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

Awesome read, too bad you didn't find a base.
Six wrote:Seriously, I'm not quite sure how the footstep sounds are placed, but I'm almost certain it's not centered on Steve. Since I wear headphones, I constantly find myself spinning around at my own footsteps, expecting to see an approaching zombie or creeper.
I doesn't help that the sound seems to play about 3 seconds or so after you stop.