Should I continue builing up spawn?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
XantyZon

Should I continue builing up spawn?

Post by XantyZon »

My friend Meu and I like to build vast kingdoms with there own unique themes and stories. Both of us are changing the way we play to adapt to the new changes and started to build up spawn with a Testificate town and a fort for us. I was wondering will the ability to build in the spawn area be taken away and/or spawn will become randomized with up and coming updates. I would like to know so I can abandon the project before I invest to much time in it and become to attached.

I would like people to refrain from bandwagoning this post. Ether FC answers it or he doesn't. There is no need for speculation or it being bumped.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Should I continue builing up spawn?

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't worry about losing your work man. I obviously won't get into details about what's coming, but the current spawn will still be very significant, and a good location for what you are describing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, and also keep in mind that Hardcore Spawn will likely be an *optional* mode, and I haven't even decided if it will be enabled by default.

It largely intended specifically for anarchy play.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I have a small question you've probably already thought of but will the restrictions on non-ops on building close to spawn cause difficulty with doing whatever you need to do there?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I have a small question you've probably already thought of but will the restrictions on non-ops on building close to spawn cause difficulty with doing whatever you need to do there?
Actually, that's a question I've been meaning to ask server operators: do they already have the ability to disable the spawn building restrictions already built into vanilla?

Frankly, with Hardcore Spawn enabled, there will be pretty much no reason to have the spawn restrictions enabled, especially since they more often feel like a bug, and are rather arbitrary in distance and such, I think most ops will be better off just turning the spawn build restriction off entirely if they have Hardcore Spawn in effect.

If that ability doesn't already exist, I'll likely code it myself.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I was not able to find one short of making everyone OPs which I was not willing to do even on my 4 man server with my little brother and a couple friends.
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, and also keep in mind that Hardcore Spawn will likely be an *optional* mode, and I haven't even decided if it will be enabled by default.

It largely intended specifically for anarchy play.
FlowerChild wrote:Don't worry about losing your work man. I obviously won't get into details about what's coming, but the current spawn will still be very significant, and a good location for what you are describing.
Thank you for the answering that.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I was not able to find one short of making everyone OPs which I was not willing to do even on my 4 man server with my little brother and a couple friends.
Fair enough. Unless someone contradicts the above I'll likely just turn it off automatically when hardcore spawn is in effect to keep things simple.

Later on I might make it an independent option, but since I haven't done that kind of thing before, I'll triage it until a later date in favor of getting my planned changes done.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

XantyZon wrote:Thank you for the answering that.
No problem man. As always, and as a player, I am keenly aware of the amount of work that people put into their builds, and have a great deal of respect for that.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I got around the spawn building restrictions by just dropping the radius to 1 block on my server. I'm scared to make it zero. Also, I noticed dinnerbone just tweeted the following mere minutes ago:
Spawn protection isn't broken in the snapshot, either. It's disabled if there's nothing in ops.txt. Also, there's a server.properties entry
Suggests to me that 1.4 will contain the option to remove spawn protection. Reference
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote:Suggests to me that 1.4 will contain the option to remove spawn protection. Reference
Ah...very cool. Ok, that definitely confirms my decision to just turn it off with Hardcore Spawn enabled. Looks like Mojang will take care of it making a specific option.

Thanks for the info guys.
heyz

Post by heyz »

FlowerChild wrote:
XantyZon wrote:Thank you for the answering that.
No problem man. As always, and as a player, I am keenly aware of the amount of work that people put into their builds, and have a great deal of respect for that.
I always feel like I should start fresh after a few updates like f3 and hcb. It feels like cheating now that I have my 101 block circle wall up and slime farms laid out. I'm right next to spawn, but depending on future changes, I might start over before I get too far. You're updating way faster than I can play it :) No worries though, I love new challenges as much as building big, and probably could even start a proper lets play series this time.