New Release! (BTW V4.11)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CycloneSP

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.11)

Post by CycloneSP »

The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.

Let's see, I don't think I've done one of these before, so I'll give it a whack:

-Added Hardcore Grinding. This removes the vanilla recipes for bone meal, sugar, bread and cake, requiring the player to use the Mill Stone to grind each of these (wheat may be ground into Flour, then baked into bread or crafted into cake). Thanks to Sarudak for originally proposing this idea, and for going so far as to create a BTW add-on mod that convinced me of what a great idea it is :)
Very interesting. While it does remove some convenience in early game, it does seem to help with the immersion factor and brings a bit more logic back to minecraft. That and it simply adds more puzzles to be solved. And I like solving puzzles(even if I'm not the best at it)
-Added Rotted Arrows as a new item.
Huh, this sounds like it would be dropped by skellies rather than a craftable item. the big question is, what do they do? My gut says one of 3 things, either can't use em at all, they are weaker, or they can poison targets. the latter is highly unlikely. I want to go with the first one here. But in the end, I/m just gonna have to try it out.
-Added ability to fill water bottles from non-source water blocks, as this is rather useful in Hardcore Bucket mode.
Well now, that was rather nice of you. Although, any potential use of that 1 vanilla cauldron I accidentally made has just been tossed out the window. Oh well, time to smelt that thing down.
-Added some of the newer mod blocks to the creative inventory.
Hmm, nothing much to say here, I usually don't use creative unless I'm trying to figure out an annoying build puzzle. Or if I feel like blowing up a mountain with tnt.... and lava. Lots of lava.
-Added internal functionality for removing vanilla crafting recipes, as this was needed for Hardcore Grinding, and should prove useful for add-on mods.
This is more a techie feature, so nothing I'll be seeing on my end.
-Added recipe for breaking down arrows in a stoked Stewing Pot. It's not lossless though.
Yay! Skellie farms have just became more useful. (yes, a fully automatic mob farm is vastly superior, but spawner farms are a much lower tier and quicker access for early game imo) Pity my old world got corrupted, I had almost 2 double chests of arrows.
-Changed (reduced) the amount of Bone Meal required to make Kibble, to help balance its overall usage in relation to fertilizing crops.
That sounds rather nice. Haven't gotten to the point in which I can make kibble in smp, so I don't quite remember the recipe. But less is more as they say.
-Changed the amount that villagers buy books and paper for, as their relative value didn't make a whole lot of sense given that it was more productive to sell unfinished vs. finished and more resource intensive goods. This effectively decreases the value of paper slightly, while increasing the value of books significantly.
That's good. I can definitely see the frustration in books being worth less than paper when you need to use leather now. (tho, I will likely not mess with villagers any time soon.... the horror. The horror! Soooo many villagers....)
-Changed the Column recipe to be two vertical strips of stone in the crafting grid instead of 1, and to produce twice as much. This is because it fits the recipe for the Pedestal much better, and just looks better overall.
Hmm, net change is nothing really, but it isn't quite an aesthetic change. Overall I see how it makes sense, and I approve. (it was rather annoying trying to even out the number of pillars and pedestals you should make.)
-Changed the Arcane Scroll drop types on pigmen and magma cubes to adjust for the removal of the blaze drop below.
Ok. (lol, sorry couldn't resist using a meme from another popular game I play.)
-Fixed problem with weird artifact water being left behind when placing a water bucket with Hardcore Buckets enabled.

-Fixed problem with buckets not showing up in the creative inventory with Hardcore Buckets enabled.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser being able to pickup end portals.

-Fixed problem with villagers selling Hemp and writable books in SMP, rather than buying them.

-Fixed problem where librarian villagers were buying Hemp instead of Priests. This simply would not do.

-Fixed red particles when living entities come into contact with a powered Saw.

-Fixed Placenta! Woot! :)
Yay bug fixes! Must feel good to squish bugs, eh? But what is this artifact water you speak of?

Overall, epic update FC. I can't wait to try her out.

EDIT: I think the whole placenta thing is one big inside joke among the long standing members of the community...
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Yeeess , a reason for me to run my wheat water troughs into my mill sorting device... *happy dance*

ETA: The other stuff is cool too.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Really digging the new hardcore features. Not only because they add a layer of complexity to the game, but they also integrate BTW much more into the vanilla experience :) They push the player to automate much more.

On a side note, I've just found a (desired) nether fortress...
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

morvelaira wrote:
Detritus wrote: So what does the effect look like? It's animal birthing, yeah, but what does it look like?
Thanks!
Really. I don't have the words to describe the awesomeness. Go make two cows/pigs breed. Make sure you have your sound turned up all the way. Experience the full impact, young disciple!
Okay, I shall. I will need to download the update though, and install it. Will do that when I get around to it (after watching some youtube)
Thank you for your words of wisdom, O Morvelaira!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Oh, ho, oh, ho! Dude! When are you going to add a feature that doesn't make me feel like I should drop everything I'm doing to try it out? Thanks, man, for yet another great update!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Eh, the site went funny when I posted and it ended up posting twice :/
Last edited by Eriottosan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

I was hoping for Steve being able to get blood from a stone but grinding bones would have to do.
Myratax

Post by Myratax »

Damn, just finished a recording where i described what hardcore bones and buckets are and now another update...

I can already see the comments and mails on my YT channel "why can't i make bonemeal anymore?"... I wonder if you ever sleep.

Anyway I love this idea.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Hardcore grinding is in now. Sweet, one less install step for me.

Thanks for the placenta back. Life just wasn't the same without it. ;)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

CreeperCommando wrote:You alone are working to make this game into the dream game I had visions and the expectations that I had of vMC when I first saw it!
x2 on this. I can't really imagine playing Minecraft without BtW anymore.

Another excellent update--I can't wait until RL settles down and I can get some play time with all of this new content.

Guess it's time to retrofit my base with pumps... :)

Keep up the good work, FC!
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Awesome update!

Every tentative step you take into direction vMC modifications makes me even more excited!
orlandu84

Post by orlandu84 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added recipe for breaking down arrows in a stoked Stewing Pot. It's not lossless though.
You've answered one of my prayers, FC! Thank you for another great update.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Oh, excellent...looks like the compatibility fix for this one will take more than a few seconds, though. I think I'll wait on it.
Still, the additional features are a joy, and I completely agree with the bread-baking system.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I've just tested out the rotten arrows and I can see both the PvP and automation possibilities, oh FC you clever man :P
xou816

Post by xou816 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added Hardcore Grinding. This removes the vanilla recipes for bone meal, sugar, bread and cake, requiring the player to use the Mill Stone to grind each of these (wheat may be ground into Flour, then baked into bread or crafted into cake). Thanks to Sarudak for originally proposing this idea, and for going so far as to create a BTW add-on mod that convinced me of what a great idea it is :)
Very nice tweaks! I guess we can thank Sarudak too :)
FlowerChild wrote: -Added Rotted Arrows as a new item.
I wont spoil, but this feature's very cool and makes a chicken farm a need. You Sir are a genius!
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the Column recipe to be two vertical strips of stone in the crafting grid instead of 1, and to produce twice as much. This is because it fits the recipe for the Pedestal much better, and just looks better overall.
Little tweak as well, but nice one.
FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed Placenta! Woot! :)
WOOOOOOOOOT! I was almost thinking you forgot about it, of course you didn't. Our beloved placenta is back!

Thanks for this awesome release, FC! Thank you
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote: I wont spoil, but this feature's very cool and makes a chicken farm a need. You Sir are a genius!
Thanks man! I'm quite fond of it myself :)

As I mentioned in the dev thread, that one took a fair amount of thought and was a balancing issue that had been bugging me for awhile now.
Mayestic/MS

Post by Mayestic/MS »

-Added Hardcore Grinding

Noooooooooooooo!

-Added Rotted Arrows as a new item

Noooooooooooooo!

Very nice
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Suggestions not immediately discarded? Darn, and I had just finished my suggestion 'box'...
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Woot! New release!
milkmandan wrote:Suggestions not immediately discarded? Darn, and I had just finished my suggestion 'box'...
Replace the "box" with a powered hopper and lava underneath it. It should work.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

milkmandan wrote:Suggestions not immediately discarded? Darn, and I had just finished my suggestion 'box'...
Lol! Nice. I love it :)
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Rotted Arrows seem very smart way to balance the skeletons dropping arrows, and hardcore grinding will bring some interesting automation challenges.
FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the Arcane Scroll drop from blazes, as the only way to effectively farm them is through spawners.
Wouldn't better solution be making blazes farmable, especially since due to their behavior we would need to design and make different farms? But I guess it's "time spent to implement vs. benefit gained" issue.

Anyway, thanks for the release!
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: Wouldn't better solution be making blazes farmable, especially since due to their behavior we would need to design and make different farms? But I guess it's "time spent to implement vs. benefit gained" issue.
Please keep suggestions out of the release threads and restricted to the suggestion subforum/outhouse.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

It's ironic because that's where some people get inspiration.

Great update, can't wait to try it out.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Great update, can't wait to find out what rotten arrows are, I have a few ideas though. IMO the best part about new releases is FC giving us something new to test out without handing it to us on a silver platter.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Nakaran

Post by Nakaran »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.11 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
This messages make my day today :)