Extreme lag in survival (SP and MP)

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Mr_CheeseUK

Extreme lag in survival (SP and MP)

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

Since upgrading to BTW 4.0 I've been getting extreme lag after playing for ~15 minutes in survival mode, both in single- and multi-player. It becomes unplayable and I have to quit to the main menu. However, after reloading the map it all goes smooth and playable again for another 15 minutes. Strangely though this lag doesn't happen in creative mode.

Has anyone else come across this problem and been able to fix it?

walker_boh_65

Re: Extreme lag in survival (SP and MP)

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Did this happen with old versions of BTW as well?

Can you find out if this happens with just vMC? I think it is just an issue with 1.3 itself, not the mod.
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

It didn't happen with older versions of BTW and I haven't played vMC for a while! I'll give vMC a try and see if it still happens and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

Just tested vMC survival and it's been going fine for over 30mins now. It's not something that I've had with other mods, only BTW. Any ideas?
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Alright Mr.Cheese, I have a legit question that might or might not have bearing on this. What video card are you running?
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

I have a nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

I started having this problem too, within 20 minutes of upgrading. I don't think its because of BTW 4.0 though, because I'm running 3.93.

If it is because of vMC, I apologize for posting about it, but I still need help, and I don't know who else could help...

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB Graphics card, and running on OSX 10.7.4
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

When did you do a nVidia control center update last? I was running an 8600 GTS 512, the latest driver/Control Centre combo had some issues with 1.3. I downgraded and it worked smooth as butter
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

The nVidia Control Panel version I have is 4.4.730.0 (the latest one I think).
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

My brother's also getting the same problem with BTW 4.11. He has a GeForce 295 GTX with latest drivers/Control Panel.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

I get lag whenever loading/unloading large numbers of entities. It could be that creative is not laggy for you because you don't have a bunch of farm animals there. Perhaps quitting to the main menu helps with your lag because it purges the monsters.

If you want to test this, you could take some samples by recording how high these numbers are when you are lagging and when you are not lagging.
Spoiler
Show
"E: 2/33" in this screenshot means that there are 33 entities in my area, but I am only having to render two of them.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Turns out I'm having this issue now that I upgraded my video card (GTX 680)
DocHussey wrote:When did you do a nVidia control center update last? I was running an 8600 GTS 512, the latest driver/Control Centre combo had some issues with 1.3. I downgraded and it worked smooth as butter
Doc, what is the current version of your control center? I'm at 4.4.730 right now (like Mr. Cheese), I'm curious if this is the case.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Thorium-232 wrote:Doc, what is the current version of your control center? I'm at 4.4.730 right now (like Mr. Cheese), I'm curious if this is the case.
I had to downgrade to 4.3.someodd. I'm not entirely sure as that rig has gone the way of disco and stretch pants, to the less fortunate. I'm sorry about that... Just remember, if you downgrade your control center, ensure that it was released at the same time or after your card! I made the mistake of reviving a 3.someodd CC and BAM! No video except through onboard VGA. That's also a good thought, by the by, have you tested your onboard VGA?
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

DocHussey wrote:That's also a good thought, by the by, have you tested your onboard VGA?
I actually don't even have onboard video :)

I ended up installing x64 Java, which I thought I had but didn't, and slashing the video settings. This seems to have worked for now but is not what I'm wanting. I'm slowly inching my way back towards high-end (for MC, anyway) graphics one setting at a time to see if it breaks again, and where.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Thorium-232 wrote:
DocHussey wrote:That's also a good thought, by the by, have you tested your onboard VGA?
I actually don't even have onboard video :).
Oh, look at Mr. Fancy-Pants...

OT- A problem that a lot of people I know have had was with the FPS settings, if you snap it onto "Max FPS", it actually brutalizes your frame-rate if something isn't quite kosher with your video card/drivers/etc. Balanced seems to work best from my understanding.