I hate cave systems

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Urian

I hate cave systems

Post by Urian »

Yes, cave systems are the easiest ways of getting large amount of resources quickly. That doesn't mean that I like them though, they keep messing up my building plans! I spent almost an entire day setting up the underground part of my base with minecart tracks, automating a system to make sure that there are carts at all times at both ends, having a system for transporting any mined materials automatically back to my base, etc. So far, everything is fine.

Then I start on my strip mine...

Two blocks in I break into a giant cave system that goes from the surface to bedrock in height and the width is enormous. I'm very tempted to use MCEdit to fill all air underground with stone right now... I'll probably set up a second hub instead if the cave system ends anywhere near.

</rant>
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FaceFoiled

Re: I hate cave systems

Post by FaceFoiled »

I am playing a non BTW multiplayer world with a friend, without any addons, and just dug into a huge cave complex as well. Was awesome, found a zombie spawner which immediately made me think of cool ways to kill them.. then I realized I don't have BTW :P

I am having so much fun building my castle, but am really looking forward to the day that BTW becomes multiplayer compatible. :) I might just dedicate this weekend to a new single player BTW survival world actually.. Hmmm. To fraps or not to fraps! :P

Your system sounds cool though, any chance you can make a screenshot of that massive gaping hole? Ive seen some big shafts going down at random caves, but never such a big gap.
Urian

Post by Urian »

It's not a hole straight from surface to bedrock, more like a giant cave system that stretches all the way. I did a check with mapview and noted that I might be fine if I only dig in one direction so it looks like my strip mine project is still on!
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Once, when I was strip mining, I ran into lava in the ceiling. On layer 16. It killed me and took all my stuff and made me very sad.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Never dig up ;)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

The problem was that I was digging in a straight line, and the ceiling block happened to be lava at one section. I'm just VERY unlucky TT_TT
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

yenno once i filled my maps caves with iron ore... that map lasted 3 hours as of 2 reasons:

1) Too much iron, i had more iron than coal... quite dissapointing

2) i realized that if i wanted to mine all the iron, i would just be digging out the caves that i had oroginaly intnended to fill in.

Also if you fill all the caves with stone, monseters can no longer spawn down there... makes for a verrrry interesting first night!

(also helps with the monster spawners!!)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Urian

Post by Urian »

I bit the bullet, loaded up with a ton of food and wood (and some coal but most I mined as I went) and went spelunking. So far I've been at it for some 3 hours but I should have most of the system near my mines lit up enough that no mobs will spawn nearby unless I wander too far off. I also got two stacks of mossy cobblestone from dungeons, useful since I'm starting to go legit (I used TMI and MCEdit for the basic aesthetic structures but am now only using resources gotten fairly).
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

lol i have one world thats legit (i had to download battle towers due to lac of dungeons) and a TMI world that i use to try new ideas that i find here!! Great to practise on the TMI world then to actually do it on the legit world...

OFFTOPIC: does anyone know what happend to Evaloution_Zero? He (i think) made a program that would switch between the jarfiles (for MC) and i was wondering if he still had that thing around...
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: DONT
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

magikeh wrote:OFFTOPIC: does anyone know what happend to Evaloution_Zero? He (i think) made a program that would switch between the jarfiles (for MC) and i was wondering if he still had that thing around...
Not a clue. But I know of a program that does something fairly similar. It's called Minecrafter. It's a little outdated, but it still works like a charm.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

you mean the one thats linked in my SIG on the minecraft forums? yeah.... never thought about using it that way! but last time i used it it changed all the words to a very interesting garbaled language!
Magical Shit
Show