Idea: Anvil Trap

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Triskelli

Idea: Anvil Trap

Post by Triskelli »

Just the upgraded workbench we've been talking about, but with a single noticeable difference.

If placed without a supporting block below it, and activated by Redstone, the Anvil will fall like Sand, but doing significant damage to any mobs it lands on. Gotta take care of those pesky Roadrunners somehow. =D
Last edited by Triskelli on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_fodder

Re: Idea: Anvil

Post by the_fodder »

Not sure if..
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

probably not the easiest to program I imagine but with a hilarious end result. no more need for TNT and you could create a system to bring it back up with pulleys so that it can be used indefinatly... alwasy wanted to squash those pesky creepers and spiders. this would be an interesting secondary use for an alternate workbench like you mentioned.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Not only that, but it serves to reinforce how silly some parts of the mod are, such as the Companion Cube and Powered Cake.

Not entirely sure how the Advanced Workbench side of the block would work, but the Anvil seems like a logical progression after including Bellows for us to use.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Triskelli wrote:Not only that, but it serves to reinforce how silly some parts of the mod are, such as the Companion Cube and Powered Cake.
Powered cake, silly? BLASPHEMY.

It was a serious design flaw in minecraft to leave cake unpowered.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Triskelli

Re: Idea: Anvil Trap

Post by Triskelli »

Just made a quick sketch for the item's implementation and appearance... And as a half-hearted attempt to keep the discussion alive. =]

FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Notation required in your sketch:

Tssssss... That's a very nice anvil you have there..
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Just need to add Coyotes as a hostile mob and your all set.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
foi

Post by foi »

I love the idea of killing animals with anvils (only in minecraft ofc.).
But why would the anvil need some special redstone activation?
Just an anvil that always falls down if nothing is under it and a piston would do the trick.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

foi wrote:I love the idea of killing animals with anvils (only in minecraft ofc.).
But why would the anvil need some special redstone activation?
Just an anvil that always falls down if nothing is under it and a piston would do the trick.
better yet, a block of gravel that falls down when there's nothing under it.

...owait, we have that already.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

The problem with this is that blocks don't inherently do any damage, as a falling block is mainly just a visual thing, not a physical object. Instead they only suffocate you/mobs if they cover your head.

This may be a difficult thing to implement for just the novelty value.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Well, as I said, this is really just an addition to a possible element: I don't know if there will be an advanced workbench at all, but if one is included, and it happens to be an anvil, then I feel it would be in the spirit of the mod to be able to use it in such a manner.

Also, wolves are similar to coyotes... And I think anvils qualify as being better than wolves =]
gftweek wrote:The problem with this is that blocks don't inherently do any damage, as a falling block is mainly just a visual thing, not a physical object. Instead they only suffocate you/mobs if they cover your head.

This may be a difficult thing to implement for just the novelty value.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't falling blocks treated as entities? If so, then it should be easy enough to apply an "attack on touch" to a falling block just like Spiders and Zombies. If not, then maybe a small routine when the block turns from effect to block again could cause damage to any mob inside it, like Lava.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Ah, you are probably right, could be easier than I expected then.

Hmm, Wile E. Wolf vs ChickenRunner? Sounds like a minecraft video series someone with a lot of creativity and way too much time could create!
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Well...

Now that we actually have anvils, do you guys think that trap elements could be added?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

well first recommendation is try ti out first because you never know with FC he might have implemented it and never told us just to play aorund... but yeah i would really like that idea...
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Isn't it impossible to make objects with an inventory move? Like with furnaces and stuff.

Still it would be a freaking hilarious thing to have, but I doubt FC would go for it :(
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I didnt think anvil's have an inventory they have a GUI but not an actual one...
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Furnaces don't look like they have an inventory either, but items can be stored in the fuel slot and in the slot where crafted items end up, which the anvil shares.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

well here is the real question, can you make crafting benches move with pistons? if you can, i assume you can move an anvil
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

walker_boh_65 wrote:well here is the real question, can you make crafting benches move with pistons? if you can, i assume you can move an anvil
Just checked, you can indeed move crafting benches AND anvils with both pistons and sticky pistons... But the anvils do NOT fall if unsupported, or if activated by redstone.

The REAL question is: Will falling physics and a GUI combined exceed the data-limit for a block?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

how about mechanical power? you never know...
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Deepsniper wrote:how about mechanical power? you never know...
I dunno. I don't see how mechanical power would activate gravity. The magic of redstone would seem more 'logical'.

Then gain, mechanical power does stop hellspawn, so who knows.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Just add the word "ACME" on the side of the anvil and you'll be set.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

KWilt wrote:Then gain, mechanical power does stop hellspawn, so who knows.
It deosn't prevent stop the directly, it just makes sure you never reach "critical mass" of hellfire required for ghast to spawn.

As for anvil being affected by gravity - I think it's briliant idea and should be inplemented (unless of course it's too difficult to code).
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

It would make more sense to have the anvil Act exactly like gravel/sand But faster and Harder fall. And then you would have to have a Block under it. But a sticky piston could retract removing the block under it out of the way so the anvil falls short pause SPLAT.As for how hard to code I don't know, there are several parts . making the Anvil gravity affected might be a problem given it has a GUI and making a falling anvil do damage when it contacts a Mob ( I can see problems here ) . But FC is a Promoder if anyone can make a falling block do damage FC can. ( would make a nice trap )

[EDIT]
This would be kinda crazy but here goes.
Make the anvil convert to its Mob ver (like how a gravel block converts to a mob before falling I'm using the wrong term here but I don't remember what it is called srry) when Blown up with TNT like what happens with TNT blowing up TNT . so the Anvil would fly through the air and land somewhere random doing damage to anyone / Mob / thing it hits.When it lands it rejoins the world so you can use it again.(If that makes any sense sorry for wrong terminology)
[\EDIT]