Gnomoria, Dwarf Fortress lite.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kazuya Mishima

Gnomoria, Dwarf Fortress lite.

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

This seems to be a drawf fortress clone that has a much better interface(thank god). Looks like stonesense.

Anybody else try this, There is a demo.

No Fking aquifers in the soil layers either.
Ethinolicbob

Re: Gnomoria, Dwarf Fortress lite.

Post by Ethinolicbob »

I noticed this game when they were giving away copies of this game as prizes on the Dwarf Fortress forums.
Played the demo. Seems all good.
A lot easier to get started on this than DF.
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

To tell the truth I had a brain fart and thought that you had posted "Gonorrhea, Dwarf Fortress life." I was thinking "WTF, STD in DF, no way". Now I realize what it is I'm going to check it out. Thank you for sharing.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

XantyZon wrote:To tell the truth I had a brain fart and thought that you had posted "Gonorrhea, Dwarf Fortress life." I was thinking "WTF, STD in DF, no way". Now I realize what it is I'm going to check it out. Thank you for sharing.
Actually I can definitely see Toady implementing STDs in DF. It's definitely in his style of attention to detail.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: Actually I can definitely see Toady implementing STDs in DF. It's definitely in his style of attention to detail.
I would actually see him more implementing a system that simulates bacterial growth and evolution on every surface in the game, so that gonorrhea could naturally evolve from the ecosystem ^.^
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

There are no Crossbows !!: (
DIG_down

Post by DIG_down »

This looks really interesting, it sorta reminds me of Reprisal, the terrain and graphical style anyways. I've never played DF but i've always wanted to try it, but this also looks as interesting.
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Not to mention he posted an idea in the stop posting ideas thread right after he came back from a ban for posting ideas....
+1
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Son, I am dissapoint.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

^_- Persplain, leetle vizard.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Eek. That's a little too close design-wise for me to be comfortable with. Yes, I know I myself predicted this happening, and was even considering doing something like this myself, but at the same time, there's being inspired by the ideas of another game, and then there's just outright copying everything.

Like, with enough differences, a game like this and DF could happily coexist, but really he's put himself in a position here where it's kindof a "1 or the other" scenario. I can't see too many people being so DF crazy that they'll actively play both of them.

I actually find it funny that he so directly copied everything else, but decided to make it gnomes instead of dwarves, as I suspect dwarves are far more marketable.

Anyways, looks interesting, and depending on how feature-rich he makes it, I could easily see this becoming a FAR more popular version of DF.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Does anyone know if the author of DF has any intention of ever making an isometric interface for DF, like the stonesense but real time, or if it will be like it is now forever?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Does anyone know if the author of DF has any intention of ever making an isometric interface for DF, like the stonesense but real time, or if it will be like it is now forever?
Even if he is (which I haven't heard anything to this effect), this guy is going to be able to develop a lot quicker given the apparent focus of his game.

It's kinda what I was saying before about the potential for this happening. Toady is currently spending all kinds of time working on adventure mode and all kinds of world simulation stuff that is really extraneous to the main mode of play, while someone can come along and develop a pure fortress-mode game MUCH faster.

IMO, his lack of focus will be his undoing here. This kinda saddens me as I know he's supporting himself through his game development and has sunk a ton of time into his game.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I dunno, how many times does the guy have to be told "fix the interface and you'll be a multimillionaire "

I think one has to conclude that either he is crazy or just genuinely doesn't care about the money. I think maybe a little of both. I know that game developers (like valve) had to have been throwing money at him to make a commercial version.
ctx

Post by ctx »

I have played several sessions of DwarfFortress and must say that some lite version like this clone will never satisfy the 'real' DF player, which are most likely the ones who donate anyways.. So I guess that DF will keep their community and this won't do much harm..
But it seems like a sucky move to advertise it in the DF forums.

I see the point, there is definitely a market for a more accessibly, easier version of DF and if they don't make it so someone else will..

Even though the keyboard is after all the superior interface, if you get used to it at least. :p
If you don't believe it, try to use a on-screen keyboard with your mouse ( sort-of ironic :p )

I cannot see myself playing something not-as-good as the 'real' thing, just because it has a 'better' interface and graphics, additionally I strongly dislike such one-to-one feature copying..

Heck.. the video shows nothing original or new at all..
__
ctx
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

my reaction to it is "meh"

It is prettier than DF but honestly it lacks so much.

I am sure that one day toady will get around to fixing the ui etc. and when that happens it will blow all the wannabees away.
And HOW!
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

Toady has nothing to worry about in this regard.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Even if he is (which I haven't heard anything to this effect), this guy is going to be able to develop a lot quicker given the apparent focus of his game.

It's kinda what I was saying before about the potential for this happening. Toady is currently spending all kinds of time working on adventure mode and all kinds of world simulation stuff that is really extraneous to the main mode of play, while someone can come along and develop a pure fortress-mode game MUCH faster.

IMO, his lack of focus will be his undoing here. This kinda saddens me as I know he's supporting himself through his game development and has sunk a ton of time into his game.
I still haven't played DF, so I can't say for sure, but looking at the wiki and at comments from players, DF seems to have a really deep gameplay aspect, down to dwarfs going crazy and creating cults and shit like that, and all those little details... So I wonder how likely it is that any game that is inpired on DF will manage to have such interesting gameplay aspects or end up just been a "cheap rip off"... That's why I was kinda hoping DF would go in that path of making at least a bit better of a graphical interface...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Does anyone know if the author of DF has any intention of ever making an isometric interface for DF, like the stonesense but real time, or if it will be like it is now forever?
Even if he is (which I haven't heard anything to this effect), this guy is going to be able to develop a lot quicker given the apparent focus of his game.

Generally I agree with most of you view when it comes to game design, but I cant agree with your last statement here :(

To say that his lack of focus will be his undoing his plain wrong, and I been playing DF sense 2009, read every blog entry his made sense then, as well as all his DF Talk podcasts. So I feel Like I have an extremely well versed understanding of Toady himself. Part of the reason of what make DF truly unique are those simulated aspects, you have to remember that an entire world is generated before you play and it all interacts with your fortress/adventurer. It what Toady love to do, he not a game designer in the same regard as you, he prefers to see just how far and how much he can create using a simulated world.

The game does a wonderful job of creating truly unique gameplay experiences no fortress has every played out the same for me, and that is because of those simulations he concentrates on. Remember that every cave, river, volcano you embark on or any monster/race that visits your fortress where generated and simulated in the world before you interacted with them. For me that what helps makes DF so unique and I for one love to see him continuing to refine and expand on those areas. He is currently rewriting personalities of dwarfs, as well as expanding combat.

I do agree however with his lack of willingness to step outside those areas and expand on the UI, graphics, and certain refined gameplay elements, but that doesn't mean that's what will kill DF, it just simply going to only attract those willing to put up with it. In the amount of donations he makes is probably around 3-5k a month, and hes fine with that as hes not looking to make millions, as long as people are willing to support him, he will continue to work on it regardless if he could make more doing a more commercial like polish on it. Although it would be very nice to see that stuff, it's not going to cause DF's downfall.

Besides seeing other game trying to simulate even a little of what Dwarf Fortress is capable of tells you that it draws a crap ton of inspiration for other devs :) Sorry for the long post, but I had to put my thoughts down on this FC, sorry if I don't agree with you on this one. Then again Toady isn't really a game designer, is a programmer through and through lol.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I bet if toady did a kickstarter to hire a team to develop a graphical front end and interface for df, he'd pull down millions.
Six

Post by Six »

johnt wrote:I bet if toady did a kickstarter to hire a team to develop a graphical front end and interface for df, he'd pull down millions.
I would back that, hard.