For a moment there, I forgot that BTW is a mod

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

For a moment there, I forgot that BTW is a mod

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

So I was reading TV tropes' page on Minecraft, and I heard the claim that gold armor is the strongest armor made out of a renewable resource.

Having just melted down a bunch of iron gear from a few nights of monster hunting, I immediately contested that, before it finally clicked that the crucible wasn't in vanilla, and thus iron wasn't renewable in vanilla.

Just goes to show how effectively and seamlessly the BTW features have assimilated into the general gameplay experience :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Urian

Re: For a moment there, I forgot that BTW is a mod

Post by Urian »

You wouldn't be wrong actually. Iron ingots drop from zombies so it's as a renewable resource as gold is.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

Don't iron bars also drop from iron golems? I have seen plenty of golem farms.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Yes they do. I forgot about them since I haven't found any villagers in my world yet so I haven't played around with golem farms.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Yeah, iron is renewable now
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

You do make a good point though, RBD.
I constantly forget a lot of things aren't vanilla..
I commented on a thread saying "Why do we need redstone lamps when we have light blocks" when they were first released.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

True, lightblocks and donut's (since food is stackable) are the two things that i think should be deprecated from this mod, making redstone lamps have the same effect oh hemp as lightblocks have know should be enough and that will free 2 blocks ID (we are so worry about them and we have two that can be removed?).

I know, you will say that why not leaving as they are if the work and we wont get anything important from the work. Well, you are right, but is good keeping in mind that in case FC needs some IDs, he has this two to use.

FC, if you are going to do this in a future, I suggest you first to implement the lightblocks utility to the redstone lamps so that we can change our farms and removing the lightblocks in the next release or so.

Forgive all this if lightblocks do have another fuction apart from hemp production and redstone lamps funtion.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Flower is not going to remove light blocks because that would break so many people's builds.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Sarudak wrote:Flower is not going to remove light blocks because that would break so many people's builds.
I know, that's why I said about adding first the functionality of lightblocks to redstone lamps some releases before actually deleting the lightblock.

I know at least one member that wouldn't mind changing all his lightblocks to redstone lamps manually if that allows FC to add a new fun functionality to the mod in Phase 1 or higher ;)
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Siege Wizard wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Flower is not going to remove light blocks because that would break so many people's builds.
I know, that's why I said about adding first the functionality of lightblocks to redstone lamps some releases before actually deleting the lightblock.

I know at least one member that wouldn't mind changing all his lightblocks to redstone lamps manually if that allows FC to add a new fun functionality to the mod in Phase 1 or higher ;)
But you know that the most of us would loose f*cking much lightblocks, to get a mysterious unknown and maybe dangerous block, that will cost pretty much resources?
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Elevatator wrote: But you know that the most of us would loose f*cking much lightblocks, to get a mysterious unknown and maybe dangerous block, that will cost pretty much resources?
The grammar of this statement leaves me scratching my head. But the sentiment I agree with.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Can you give us one actual reason that lightblocks should be removed? One that justifies asking all the hundreds (if not thousands) of people, Flowerchild included, who use the mod to hunt down and destroy every light block they ever made so that they can replace it with a version that introduces bugs and costs four times as much glowstone and redstone?
Better is the enemy of Good
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I just use lightblocks anyway.
Mojangs version has a weird crafting recipe, and is waaay more expensive.
To tell the truth, I pay almost no attention to what mojang adds anymore, (half of it is copied from a mod I'm already using) I'm only focused on the API and 4000 id fix.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

BTW is a mod? I always thought it was a plugin! ;)

And yeah, I agree with you about that. I played SMP with my friend a few weeks ago, and even though we didn't use minecarts I mined every single rail I found in underground mineshafts. 2 stacks later:
Friend: "Hey, Itamar, why do you collect all of those rails?"
Me: "Free iron, obviously."
Friend: "We don't even use rails!"
Me: "Yeah, that's why we need to melt-Oh. Right. I feel stupid now."

Of course, after he left the server I went back and mined a few more stacks of rails, which are still hidden in a chest, waiting to The Update.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I like to think the ligth block is like an efficient alternative to the redstone lamp, like the recipes that use sidings instead of planks. You can use redstone to controll a ligth block, but if you aply the glowstone to a fiber, add a bit of redstone and enclose inside glass you can save a lot of redstone and glowstone.

And I did that rail thing when i was playing in a server I used to play. I left that server, playing minecraft without BTW was to boring. Hopefully I can convince them to install BTW in the server when the SMP version is out.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

If anything the vanilla light blocks should be removed. Their method of construction is overly simplistic.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

DaveYanakov wrote:Can you give us one actual reason that lightblocks should be removed? One that justifies asking all the hundreds (if not thousands) of people, Flowerchild included, who use the mod to hunt down and destroy every light block they ever made so that they can replace it with a version that introduces bugs and costs four times as much glowstone and redstone?
Just saying that if this must be done so that we can include an awesome new feature, he has my blessing. I could live without lightblocks (redstone lamps are expensive. ok. and? this game is not starting a beating it, glowstone is so easy to farm and redstone can be syntetized (spelled like that?) so cost should not be a reason. I'm obviously not asking to remove it and done, I'm saying that, them, plus the donut's could be replaced by a vMC block/item and due to that fact, they would be the first two in my list of removable blocks for ID space if FC really needs it for next update.

PS: other idea, could the redstone lamp ID be used for another thing? this could be an easy solution, no more bugs, no high costs and much better backward compatibility as nearlly noone uses them (except me that I use for in my new house, but that could be easily replaced ;)
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Siege Wizard wrote:-snip about light blocks vs lamps-
See, thing is, the Light Block (hereafter LB) is not opaque when unpowered, and as such can be used to let light through when not powered; The lamp is opaque when powered an unpowered, so it can't let light through. The LB can also transmit power through it if you hook a repeater to point through it, so it can also be used for feedback in your wiring at a glance if you work them directly in; the lamp doesn't transmit power through it, so you can use it as insulated feedback.

The two blocks are diverse, and using the lamp for hemp would remove underground hemp farms from the tech tree itself. Removing the lamp just isn't going to happen; FC would never do anything to mess up people's worlds, nor would he modify vanilla to that extent for no gain. The lamp isn't going to hurt you if you never make them; besides, I think they can look nice, so I use both when I'm not strapped for glowstone (which I often am).
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:One that justifies asking all the hundreds (if not thousands) of people,
Just FYI, you're severely underestimating the number of active users the mod has :)

As I always say "tens to hundreds of thousands". That statement isn't based on accumulated downloads over all versions, it's based on the average number per release.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

BTW is not a mod. It is so much more than that...
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

When tripwires first showed up my first reaction was to say to the mcf people who were excited about using it to transmit Redstone signals, "why? You already have the lens."
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

FlowerChild wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:One that justifies asking all the hundreds (if not thousands) of people,
Just FYI, you're severely underestimating the number of active users the mod has :)

As I always say "tens to hundreds of thousands". That statement isn't based on accumulated downloads over all versions, it's based on the average number per release.
Really? I thought that based on the people on the forums, only a couple of thousand people would be getting each version.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote:Really? I thought that based on the people on the forums, only a couple of thousand people would be getting each version.
Hardly man. This is just our small sanctuary out in the woods, keeping us safe from the hordes. The traffic here is a drip in the bucket.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Don't let them come in flower! Keep it secret! Keep it safe!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:

Wow. I have greatly underestimated either the number of people who download from the MCF or the number of user here.

EDIT: Reading FC post above mine, I now see which is was.