Dwarf Fortress: I'm Going In

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RaustBlackDragon

Dwarf Fortress: I'm Going In

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I've been tempted by dwarf fortress for a long time now, but I never got into it because of how incredibly intimidating it was, and how confusing it was. However, I've finally decided to just go in, stop worrying about how I can't understand a word of any of the tutorials, and have fun.

If anybody has any advice for me, I'd be happy to hear it :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
M!C

Re: Dwarf Fortress: I'm Going In

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Biggest piece of advice I have is use the Lazy newb pack. It will make your life much much easier.

You don't need to use any of the "cheats" that it provides, but having a graphic tile-set and Dwarf Therapist installed is really necessary to make the game playable IMO (others may express other opinions on the matter mind you, but to be it's crucial).

My first attempt at trying to play the game, I gave up after a few hours because of the interface (or lack thereof). My second attempt, with Lazy Newb this time, I probably stuck with it for 40+ hours before moving onto other things.

You can find it here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I've seen that before, I think, but my impression has been that it's not mac compatible. I really hope I'm wrong, but from what I've been able to gather...
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I've seen that before, I think, but my impression has been that it's not mac compatible. I really hope I'm wrong, but from what I've been able to gather...
Ah...then you'll likely have to do a manual install of various components. It's doable, but it's not fun if you're just starting out.

Again, I'd recommend getting a graphic tile-set and Dwarf Therapist. Those are really the two crucial components of Lazy Newb, and after I "graduated" to doing my own installs, those were the only two things I was using.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

you know what screw it I am going to try it too!
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I have played it for a few hours on and off. Never got around to using the lazy newb pack though... My biggest gripe with the game is definitely the lack of a good way to manage your dwarves.
And HOW!
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Good luck, this is the most intimidating and in-depth game I've ever played. I suggest starting with this:

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/ ... art-1-wtf/

It is a tutorial. He has an old version of the game that you'll download. It comes with a texture pack and an old version of Dwarf Therapist. Because it is an old version it is really only helpful for the first few pages, but even so it went a long way to making the game make sense for me. From there I went to the wiki's tutorial.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As long as you select a reasonable embark point (which you can find tutorials on too ;) ), I don't think you really need to use someone else's save like that and follow along down to the exact block.

My first real play through, I actually had a few different tutorials going at the same time, both text and video, and the nice part was that the fortress I built was really "mine" as a result, and didn't feel like something I just carbon-copied off of someone else.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

FlowerChild wrote:As long as you select a reasonable embark point (which you can find tutorials on too ;) ), I don't think you really need to use someone else's save like that and follow along down to the exact block.

My first real play through, I actually had a few different tutorials going at the same time, both text and video, and the nice part was that the fortress I built was really "mine" as a result, and didn't feel like something I just carbon-copied off of someone else.
I kind of agree with FC here. It would have been nice to have my first fortress be mine and be in my own world. Then I could have had a nice chronicle of all my "fun."
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
MrGrau

Post by MrGrau »

Try Dwarf Builder if you use a mac.
I use it and it's made my dwarf fortress life a lot easier
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

One of the most appealing aspects of Dwarf Fortress for me is the ongoing history and how it is reflected later on through both reclaiming old forts and in various dwarf art. Using someone else's save would deprive me of that experience, so I would encourage building your own.

This is an incredible game. Welcome to some great 'fun'.
Spoiler
Show
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)