Extractor

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Yushatak

Extractor

Post by Yushatak »

BTW is missing something...

There's no mechanism to take items from a container (chest, furnace output, storage minecart) and itemize them. We've got the reverse (the hopper) and we can take items and turn them into blocks, take items that are already in an inventory and shoot them out (dispenser) but there's nothing to fill that one gap.

I suggest implementing a block called an "Extractor" (or whatever name you think is appropriate) that simply takes items from a chest or other container, and then deposits them into an adjacent container. To avoid overlapping the dispenser's usefulness, the block would not shoot items out, but in fact ONLY pass them to adjacent container.

This would allow for all kinds of contraptions, including more sophisticated sorting mechanisms, item transport, etc.

It would also mean that BTW covers all of the features of the allocator, but in separate blocks instead of a "do-everything" block like the Allocator mod is.
Conscript Gary

Re: Extractor

Post by Conscript Gary »

An idea I've thought of suggesting, supported
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Not going to happen. This would open up an exploit that FC is not comfortable with like this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=333

The old way of picking up the Block Dispenser resulting in it spilling its contents has been considered an exploit and was nerfed in the previous release. Such an idea would open that back up again.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

We already have a method to empty an inventory. A BD can empty a chest or minecart which will spill the items. The only thing a BD can't empty is another BD.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

finite8 wrote:Not going to happen. This would open up an exploit that FC is not comfortable with like this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=333

The old way of picking up the Block Dispenser resulting in it spilling its contents has been considered an exploit and was nerfed in the previous release. Such an idea would open that back up again.
The issue there was that it allowed crazy fast cobblestone generation, not the ability to empty inventories.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Conscript Gary wrote:
finite8 wrote:Not going to happen. This would open up an exploit that FC is not comfortable with like this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=333

The issue there was that it allowed crazy fast cobblestone generation, not the ability to empty inventories.
Yes, but such an idea would re-open up that same exploit. I mean, what are you going to do? Have it pull everything out except cobblestone? Not extract from a Block Dispenser? A method already exists to empty inventories, so why not stick with it? Adding something else that does something another block already does, but has less uses seems like a pointless addition. I dunno, maybe FC feels different... but i dont see the use for it.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Glox

Post by Glox »

Wasn't that BD thing nerfed because it was too powerfull for the Block dispenser? Meaning that maybe eventually there could be a block or mechanism that would do the same thing but would be way more expensive to build/operate? I don't know, but if the intention was to nerf fast cobble harvesting i think it didn't do much
The only thnig that changed is that you can't auto empty the BDs anymore so you have to do it yourself. Since they have an inventory of 9*64=576 i suspect it wont be too much of a hassle.
I for one would like something like that but probably it should be more complicated to set up. Think like bellow: they have to be powered periodicly mechanicly so you have to build axles, gearboxes, a turntable, ... to make it work, instead of a simple redstone signal.
mikello324

Post by mikello324 »

To the OP, I think you basically want a modified version of the allocator included in BTW.

First, aren't you asking Flower to steal other people's ideas?

Second, why don't you just download the allocator mod?
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

finite8 wrote:Yes, but such an idea would re-open up that same exploit. I mean, what are you going to do? Have it pull everything out except cobblestone? Not extract from a Block Dispenser? A method already exists to empty inventories, so why not stick with it? Adding something else that does something another block already does, but has less uses seems like a pointless addition. I dunno, maybe FC feels different... but i dont see the use for it.
No actually, it wouldn't. I may be misunderstanding, but the problem was the speed with using two BDs instead of a piston, not the ability to drop it into a stream for further collection.
The speed of the extractor could also be made fairly slow.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Conscript Gary wrote:
finite8 wrote:Yes, but such an idea would re-open up that same exploit. I mean, what are you going to do? Have it pull everything out except cobblestone? Not extract from a Block Dispenser? A method already exists to empty inventories, so why not stick with it? Adding something else that does something another block already does, but has less uses seems like a pointless addition. I dunno, maybe FC feels different... but i dont see the use for it.
No actually, it wouldn't. I may be misunderstanding, but the problem was the speed with using two BDs instead of a piston, not the ability to drop it into a stream for further collection.
The speed of the extractor could also be made fairly slow.

To quote FC

FlowerChild wrote:The BD is not intended to be able to destroy blocks and dispense them in item form. I fixed another problem with this awhile back, but it looks like you managed to find a workaround.
Sorry, but I think such an idea would directly re-enable it. I guess you could have it so it dispenses items from a non-BD container, but as the BD is still capable of emptying the contents of any other container anyway, i don't see the point of an extractor / allocator.
Yushatak

Post by Yushatak »

Why not just have it not work on Block Dispensers...? I don't know about you guys, but the #1 reason I'd be interested in the proposed block is to remove items from a storage minecart without having to break the cart somehow, and to remove items from chests to transport them elsewhere, etc. As things stand, I suppose you could work around the chest issue by storing items in dispensers rather than chests, because then they can eject the items, but that's only 9 slots (presuming the hopper can do this here, haven't tried yet) to a doublechest's 54.

Generating cobblestone fast is hardly an exploit IMHO, but aside from stopping it from functioning with block dispensers, you could also add a minimum delay between intakes on the block dispenser, meaning it can only generate cobble so fast in a cobblestone generator.
mikello324 wrote:To the OP, I think you basically want a modified version of the allocator included in BTW.

First, aren't you asking Flower to steal other people's ideas?

Second, why don't you just download the allocator mod?
First, that's silly. Taking things out of a box automatically is not some amazing concept that nobody but the Allocator mod has ever thought of, and it's a natural extension of the automation possible in this mod.

Second, BTW already has the other features of the Allocator, so installing the Allocator is redundant. Also, the Allocator is quite OP for it's cost, whereas multiple blocks to cover the features separately is a bit more balanced. As well, BTW fits Minecraft really well and does more, so if I'm choosing between the two to avoid redundancy and mismatching, I'd rather choose BTW.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Not letting it work with a BD would be a decent prevention of that, yeah.
Also, imagine the possibilities if it could use filters like a hopper? Sort out a minecart full of loot at its destination.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

That wouldn't be necessary, we already have the hopper for that.

I do agree that this might be one of a few items still missing in the automation process, together with a new way to transport items that doesn't require glitchy water physics.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Hello just STOP

We are in the beginning of the tech tree and you just aren't supposed to be able to do stuff fully automatic yet (wich a extractor would help a lot in) just have some patience and till that time you just need to get around with what is given to you and be happy!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Thieme wrote:Hello just STOP
THANK YOU,

I do agree that this should come up again when steve has advanced to the proper 'age'
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Bookmarked to be reopened at a latter date, when Steve is a little more advanced
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Thieme wrote:Hello just STOP

We are in the beginning of the tech tree and you just aren't supposed to be able to do stuff fully automatic yet (wich a extractor would help a lot in) just have some patience and till that time you just need to get around with what is given to you and be happy!
Extractors seem like the same tech level as the hopper. Your point is moot, unless you suggest we spread out automation pieces over the ages, so we reach full automation near the end of it, which I would agree on.

Even then, it's still valid to discuss this now, that's why there's a suggestion forum. This is not an outrageous idea and it hasn't been discussed in depth before AFAIK.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

They seem at the same tech level but it would make stuff to easy to fast that is a bit of a point i am trying to make.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:Extractors seem like the same tech level as the hopper. Your point is moot, unless you suggest we spread out automation pieces over the ages, so we reach full automation near the end of it, which I would agree on.

Even then, it's still valid to discuss this now, that's why there's a suggestion forum. This is not an outrageous idea and it hasn't been discussed in depth before AFAIK.

Please tell me this; is it easyer to make a funnel that can be closed (aka hopper) or a device that will pick items out of a chest and then deposit them in a different chest (or spew them out into the open and let the hoppers suck them in)

this is why there is so much discussion in this thread about it being the wrong age and all such, BUT i do firmly believe in dreaming about the future~!

EDIT: God damnit i type too slow!
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Thieme wrote:They seem at the same tech level but it would make stuff to easy to fast that is a bit of a point i am trying to make.
Yeah, that's my point too. Spreading the small utility blocks out is probably good.
jamestully22 wrote:a device that will pick items out of a chest and then deposit them in a different chest (or spew them out into the open and let the hoppers suck them in)
You mean a hatch? Yeah, I agree, hatches are way out there. I long for the day we find a way in real life to open a hole in a box to let the contents spill out. What a marvelous invention that would be :p
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:You mean a hatch? Yeah, I agree, hatches are way out there. I long for the day we find a way in real life to open a hole in a box to let the contents spill out. What a marvelous invention that would be :p

IRL What Said:

GRUMBLEGRUMBLELILSMARTASSGRUMBLEGRUMBLE
Magical Shit
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
jamestully22 wrote:a device that will pick items out of a chest and then deposit them in a different chest (or spew them out into the open and let the hoppers suck them in)
You mean a hatch? Yeah, I agree, hatches are way out there. I long for the day we find a way in real life to open a hole in a box to let the contents spill out. What a marvelous invention that would be :p
You mean that thing you can already do by eating the block with a BD and placing a hopper->chest underneath?

@jamestully22: I'm supporting your side of the debate here, don't be grumblin'.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Stormweaver wrote:You mean that thing you can already do by eating the block with a BD and placing a hopper->chest underneath?
True True, an easy fix and a souloution that one does not have to wait for.
"Wait For" as in:
Flower sees idea
Flower likes idea
Flower rips idea apart
Flower adds idea to tech tree
Flower does other stuff
Flower gets to idea on tech tree
Flower adds idea
Flower updates mod
Stormweaver wrote:@jamestully22: I'm supporting your side of the debate here, don't be grumblin'.
Every day im Grumblin!! (think in the musical sense)
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

jamestully22 wrote: IRL What Said:

GRUMBLEGRUMBLELILSMARTASSGRUMBLEGRUMBLE
I'm glad you took it as a joke, I was hoping you wouldn't take it as an attack, just couldn't help myself :D
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm glad you took it as a joke, I was hoping you wouldn't take it as an attack, just couldn't help myself :D
At first i took it as an attack but then i read it 2-3 more times and was all like

F*** YOU!! D:<

Glad to see that we are all on the same page now tho...
Magical Shit
Show