[Solved] Possible computer damage.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
dawnraider

[Solved] Possible computer damage.

Post by dawnraider »

So I dropped my really nice laptop at school today, and now the fan makes a funny noise (like when you stick your finger in one of those handheld fans). Other than that there appears to be no adverse effects. What should I do?
Last edited by dawnraider on Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Possible computer damage.

Post by Sarudak »

Sounds like there's a piece sticking into the fan. It'll probably wear out the motor of the fan after too long.
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Flip it over, drop it again. Maybe you'll get lucky and re-seat the piece in the fan.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Punnikin wrote:Flip it over, drop it again. Maybe you'll get lucky and re-seat the piece in the fan.
^_-

Aaannyway. Take a look around for some tutorial disassembly videos for your lappy, if you're comfortable with that. You'll be able to see if there is any debris or other loose pieces floating around in there. If the thing is still under warranty, definitely take it in for service rather than disassemble it yourself.

Beyond those two options, the well runs dry. Just live with it for now, and monitor the CPU temp using CoreTemp or SpeedFan. If it gets too hot, then you'll have no other choice than to pull the thing apart, methinks.

Best of luck!
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

be smart, lookup the technical manual on the manufacturer's site, it shows you how to take apart your machine with diagrams, just follow the one to get at the fan, then inspect what's wrong with it.

If the fan"rim" has been broken, you'll need to order that part (conveniently, this manual most likely has the code) and you just order that part, plop it in & hey presto, alls good :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Because it is under warranty, I think I'm going to go with Ulfengaard's suggestion and live with it until it gets too hot, then take it in. Thanks for your help.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
StormBeforeDawn

Post by StormBeforeDawn »

dawnraider wrote:Because it is under warranty, I think I'm going to go with Ulfengaard's suggestion and live with it until it gets too hot, then take it in. Thanks for your help.
This is dumb. Fix it, or take it in now. Your just going to damage your GPU and CPU and it will leave you in a world of pain. Even with a warranty that will leave you without a computer for a few weeks while they replace it, realize that they didn't fix everything, send it back to them, and repeat.
~Storm
Urian

Re: [Solved] Possible computer damage.

Post by Urian »

Yes, if it's under warranty then have it repaired now. I wouldn't be surprised (I'd in fact guess on it) if the warranty is voided if you continue using the computer when it's obviously, as identified by the sound, damaged.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea