The Return To Home: Delayed (a.k.a. Eureka Part III)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

The Return To Home: Delayed (a.k.a. Eureka Part III)

Post by FlowerChild »

So, all of you who follow this forum regularly by now probably know that I've been kind having mixed feelings about the "Anniversary Update" due to the uncertainty of timing, (and even the uncertainty of whether they'll happen), of certain "upcoming" MC features (ahem...extended block IDs).

It's rather frustrating for me to investing large amounts of time into something that I have no idea when it will see the light of day. Putting out releases acts as a large source of motivation for me as it provides short-term attainable goals that I can strive for, and then I get a nice little cookie for it in seeing how you guys react. Lacking a regularly pay-check, this is one of the big things that keeps me going, so working for an indeterminate amount of time on something surrounded by a high degree of uncertainty just ain't much fun at all.

Anyways, a brain-storm has been developing for me over the past few hours and building into something quite exciting for me.

So, the anniversary update is currently on hold until Mojang gets their shit sorted.

In its place, what I'm going to be working on is the buildup to that update, which I've broken down into 4 distinct parts. I can release each of these over the coming weeks, one at a time, and while they do add *some* additional block IDs, they won't add enough that I feel I'll be downright fucked and painted into a corner if Mojang never release the extended block ID thing (which definitely would have happened with the full anniversary update).

As an added bonus, these aspects of the game also fit nicely into BTW SMP, which seems like the first part of what we'll be getting from Mojang in the foreseeable future, so hopefully it will provide for some interesting and unique multiplayer gameplay for BTW right out of the gate.

So yes, just to say I finally feel confident in an immediate course of action, and while the anniversary update will be postponed even further, I think it will be a much richer experience overall for it, as this set of features will turn it into an epic journey onto itself that will develop over an extended period of time.

Anyways, happiness :)
kaos78414

Re: The Return To Home: Delayed (a.k.a. Eureka Part III)

Post by kaos78414 »

Oh man oh man. I'm happy and excited and anxious to see what you have in store for us! This is definitely good news! :D
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Can't wait, for both the update, and a happy FC. :)
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

4 distinct parts?! I love episodic stories! This is the best news I've ever heard!

*Puts on gimp suit*

/partyhard
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

OMG, I'm so excited.

>.>

<.<

*private man-squee*

Thanks for your dedication, FC. Seriously. Best. Mod. Evar.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm really happy to hear this and I think it's a really good idea!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yay!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I guess you just couldn't sit on all the stuff you've worked on anymore. :)

I'm glad. Waiting for Mojang to get their shit together is like waiting for the stars to align and the old ones to rise. Everytime it seems like it's gonna happen some intrepid adventurer comes along to fuck it up.

And we would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your damn wolves!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Can you hear that sound? That high pitched thing in the background? Yes, that's right. You just got my squee-motor going, and it's idling and ready to roar. Er,... squee. That's it.

*squeesqueesqueesqueesquee*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

woo! this should be interesting..
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

Well on the plus side of things, the delay has granted me additional time to get all that soul steel that I'm going to need. Looking forward to what updates you have planned in the interim.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yay! Happiness abounds! :)
Beemlord wrote:Well on the plus side of things, the delay has granted me additional time to get all that soul steel that I'm going to need. Looking forward to what updates you have planned in the interim.
Oh yeah, that reminds me that I forgot to mention you'll need MUCH more Steel now ;)
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

FlowerChild wrote:Yay! Happiness abounds! :)
Beemlord wrote:Well on the plus side of things, the delay has granted me additional time to get all that soul steel that I'm going to need. Looking forward to what updates you have planned in the interim.
Oh yeah, that reminds me that I forgot to mention you'll need MUCH more Steel now ;)
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

FlowerChild wrote: Oh yeah, that reminds me that I forgot to mention you'll need MUCH more Steel now ;)
Not a problem for me, I've been sitting on my steel stash for about a month now its about time it got some lovin'. ;)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Really looking forward to this. Having to base your development on gueswork of Mojang's next possible move must be annoying as hell.

Was working on my steel production today, thought 288 ingots would get me half a stack of blocks. Then I realised it takes 16 ingots to craft a block, not 9 :/ Now the aquisition of iron stands in my way, what a joke.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Awesome, can't wait to see what you bring us! Though it's pretty sad that you feel the need to do this because of Mojang's stupidity.

I say that based off all the crap Mojang been pulling I wouldn't be surprised that all 4 releases you are planning will be released before 1.3/1.4 :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:Awesome, can't wait to see what you bring us! Though it's pretty sad that you feel the need to do this because of Mojang's stupidity.

I say that based off all the crap Mojang been pulling I wouldn't be surprised that all 4 releases you are planning will be released before 1.3/1.4 :)
Nah, honestly, it's a good thing man. This delay forced a reevaluation of the design, and I think it will be much richer for it. It means that it will take me much longer to reach the point I was aiming for, but the journey itself will be much more interesting.

As I mentioned the other day, lemons and placenta and all that :)
fallendice

Post by fallendice »

This is awesome FC. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us. Guess it's time for Gill to start getting busy as well, hehe.
If it can't be built, FlowerChild just hasn't thought of it yet. ;)
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

This is going to be fun. The suspense is once again killing me... and it feels glorious.
And HOW!
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
kregoth wrote:Awesome, can't wait to see what you bring us! Though it's pretty sad that you feel the need to do this because of Mojang's stupidity.

Nah, honestly, it's a good thing man. This delay forced a reevaluation of the design, and I think it will be much richer for it. It means that it will take me much longer to reach the point I was aiming for, but the journey itself will be much more interesting.

As I mentioned the other day, lemons and placenta and all that :)
I think this calls for some celebratory IRC shenanigans, and getting the drink on :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Whoopee!(!!1!!!11!)
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Another announcement:

I've made another decision...

Fuck being a plug-in.

BTW will remain a mod. My philosophy has always been "if I want something in the game, I'm modifying anything I need to in order to make that happen, compatibility be damned". It has allowed me to do things that very few other mods dare, and IMO, the Forge and all the mods scrambling to join it at present has made that an even more unique aspect of BTW.

So, I'm going back to making base-class modifications at will effective immediately. I will of course practice the same restraint I used to, which largely comes down to cost/benefit (making base-class modifications generally being high cost because of the necessity to maintain them with each MC version), but I'm not going to hold myself back beyond that.
kregoth wrote:I think this calls for some celebratory IRC shenanigans, and getting the drink on :)
Hehe...I would like to man, but I'm presently so excited about this that I'm diving right into the code :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

oh boy! FC all fired up. look out!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

FlowerChild wrote:Another announcement:
This might just be the most exciting thing I've heard all day. The enthusiasm has inspired me to start working again on my auto steel factory. *happydance*