Mob limit

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Flesh_Engine

Mob limit

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Ello chaps,

While constructing my own animal farm (read processing plant :p) i made the error of building it too close to my spawnpoint so i relocated it yet it's not really doing much atm.

So i started checking things and turns out that the camping family of squids and my 15 wolves are taking up most of the friendly mob slots. So i build deathtubes for the squids that keep herding and cubified my 2 extra wolves so now there is an occasional spawn but nothing like i thought.

Atm i'm loathe to cut into my dungfactory production but unless the passive mobcap gets an increase (which i doubt FC or Notch is going to do) then i'll just have to.

Which leads me to the point of this thread (finally); Has anyone given thought as to optimal ratio of tamed wolves versus animal factory production?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Re: Mob limit

Post by Urian »

I've taken it into account but since my dung farm is far from my passive-mob-hunting-grounds it's not affecting it too much. The change to squid spawning is really irritating though, especially since I've got tons of water around my entire base. I'm having to go squid hunting every so often, at least it gives me a use for all those arrows my mob farm generates.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

God you gotta be kiddin, me reading this really makes me smack my head.
I have spent like countless hours working on landscaping around the complex i have my passive mob spawner in. Removed quite a bit of land so that i would hopefully get more spawns in the mobspawner but hadn't taken into account the squids (and all other sealife from mo'creatures) i also have 20 wolves sitting 1 floor down of the mobspawner so that isn't helping. stupid stupid me should have just landscaped into desert instead of water.

Really doubting what to do now if anyone has some tips they are welcome :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Thieme wrote:Really doubting what to do now if anyone has some tips they are welcome :)
I've got no idea how mobs from mo' creatures behave since I don't use that mod but squids always swim downwards. You can use this to your advantage by having some form of killing mechanisms built at the bottom of your water area (saws, lava that's only separated from the water by signs might also work). Depending on how large your water area is and how you've landscaped it you might want to build either several kill points or have them all leading to only one point (which you could make an ink sac harvest point if you want to).
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

hmm the water is pretty big i guess i could make several of those killhole thingies for the squids but all mo'creatures sealife swims at the surface so that kinda sucks. guess i'll first have to finish the whole complex and then see what i do. Maybe even MCedit it into a dessert although on my current map i don't have very big deserts and putting it in the desert means i will have to light up quite a bit of ground around for my hostile mob spawner to still work correctly :/
What i could do is switch the hostile mob spawner (floor 3) with the passive mob spawner (floor 2) but doubt that would help much.
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

Ok, this is very useful information to have. I was unaware that there even was a passive mob spawn limit.

Since I am literally in the earliest stages of putting together my processing plant, I am curious if anyone knows what distance to allow for between spawners.

I only have managed to find 7 wolves in my current world, and accidentally killed one, so I have six of them excreting brown gold for me right now. Will that mess with my spawn rate for passive mobs? And if so, how far should I move them away to allow for the maximum potential of mob spawning in the processing plant?

Good catch, Flesh Engine!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This topic seems better suited for general discussion as I don't think there's anything hear I need to be involved with.

Moving the thread.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Thanks FC been wanting to comment on this for a while...

For those who have Mo' Creatures you can actually control what creatures spawn and how many through the options.
Adjudicator79 wrote:Ok, this is very useful information to have. I was unaware that there even was a passive mob spawn limit.

Since I am literally in the earliest stages of putting together my processing plant, I am curious if anyone knows what distance to allow for between spawners.

I only have managed to find 7 wolves in my current world, and accidentally killed one, so I have six of them excreting brown gold for me right now. Will that mess with my spawn rate for passive mobs? And if so, how far should I move them away to allow for the maximum potential of mob spawning in the processing plant?

Good catch, Flesh Engine!
It wont affect the rate but it will affect your amount of creaures at a time spawning... and you should move them at least 20 blocks away so that they are on another chunk than your grinder...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

It also has a fix for squid spawning rates!

I moved to a small desert surrounded by water, I didn't even think about squid. Stupid! I need to reinstall Mo' Creatures again, or find another mod that fixes or turns off squid, unless FC adds a use for it, I very seldomly use squid ink.

Also FC said he had only 4 wolves that provided plenty of dung by being in complete darkness.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

With Mo' Creatures, you can also raise the passive mob spawn limit itself, as well as control which animals spawn.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hmm, I just installed Mo' Creatures, and it's own spawn settings are messed up.

I've severely limited squid which is good, but I'm getting mice spawning all over the show even though they are disabled.

I think I got a cave ogre at one point too (also disabled), as I was hearing explosion noises while I was at lava level (no BTW machinery nearby).

With or without Mo' Creatures, I'm still getting hostile mobs spawning in a lake, I think they may be floating up from an underwater cavern!
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

gftweek wrote:Hmm, I just installed Mo' Creatures, and it's own spawn settings are messed up.

I've severely limited squid which is good, but I'm getting mice spawning all over the show even though they are disabled.

I think I got a cave ogre at one point too (also disabled), as I was hearing explosion noises while I was at lava level (no BTW machinery nearby).

With or without Mo' Creatures, I'm still getting hostile mobs spawning in a lake, I think they may be floating up from an underwater cavern!

The previous version without the mice and kitties is working perfectly for me, bumped passive mob spawn limits way up and now there's no shortage of any of them ^^

Hopefully there's links to the older versions in the thread. If not, will probs be a bugfix release coming up if that mice problem is wide spread.
I think it's because DrZhark made it so that mice spawn on surfaces other than grass, which means deserts will be infested with them if there's no grass nearby for other mobs to spawn.

But still if you disabled mice and they still show up that points to a bigger problem.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Am I the only one who thinks that Mo' Creatures is a silly mod that doesn't fit with Minecraft at all?

Slightly off-topic, I was originally asked to do the skins for Mo' Creatures, but I refused. Mod creator's a very nice guy :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I don't like all the mobs it adds, but some make sense, and it's cool they have a hierarchy who which hunts what.

I am using it to fix the squid spawn problem, I don't want the ogres or werewolves. It also allows you to customise the mob spawn limit, which is a problem if you have too many wolves.
The previous version without the mice and kitties is working perfectly for me, bumped passive mob spawn limits way up and now there's no shortage of any of them ^^
Excellent, I've there are most previous versions still available for download, so I have downgraded to the same version as you. Good idea!
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

just concrete the oceans and fill the rest with sand or gravel simple.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Water is useful for limiting aggressive mob spawns so completely removing it might not be the best idea. Having water around is also useful at times if you haven't got an infinite water well or feel that they're cheating.
blithen

Post by blithen »

I have 2 wolves making my dung, they're in a dark place and I never feed them and I have PLENTY of dung(1 and a half 64 stacks) so I'd cut your wolves down.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Well i just realized that the whole concept of my house is fubar since i build it 16 spaces away from where i wanted it so i'm restarting my world & copying my items with invedit since i can't be bothered doing all that *again*. I know where to get wolves there so i suppose it isn't so bad.

Maybe i'll take 4 wolves and try to feed them this time since that's clearly the way to go i think now that we have the awesome turntable :)

In any case; Deathtubes work against the squids: just press F3, if they tend to congregate at one spot, make a cone like hole 1-2 deep with 2*2 floor, ladders on the sides and lava underneath the ladders. Just make sure you can reach the lava source, just in case you need to disable them for later on :) Works like a charm and takes 0 effort.
Ink sacs are useless anyway.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Post by Urian »

For those who use Zombe's mod pack: There is an option to set spawn rate for various mobs. It can be used to limit the spawn rate of squids until Mojang realize that they've buggered up the squid spawn rate...
wyyve

Post by wyyve »

I heard somewhere that squid have a separate spawn limit.